Blake Lewis: 'Casey Abrams Killed It, I'm Over Scotty McCreery'

by Blake Lewis, posted Mar 31st 2011 12:20PM
Casey is back on top.

Last night, the Idols performed the music of Elton John and I was really looking forward to it, as my friends and some former contestants came over to watch.

The night started off with Scotty McCreery doing his country thing and it was all right. I'm personally over it and I want him to go now. He did a good job, I'm just not that into him compared to the other ten contestants.

Naima did her thang and turned Elton John into a Rastafarian, giving "I'm Still Standing" a new reggae twist. I liked it, but didn't love it. I'm a huge reggae fan, but when the chorus came in, I wasn't sold. It was original, but I don't think it worked in her favor.

Paul McDonald's mix was so bad I could barely hear him and the bass player hit some messed up notes in the beginning. The last note he sang in a whisper was a little cheesy for me personally, dogg (said in Randy voice).

Pia Toscano did a ballad and it was great. I was a little bored of the performance, but her voice is so dope I didn't mind that she doesn't move around at all. She needs to engage the audience a little more like J. Lo said.

Stefano sang "Tiny Dancer" and he did a great job with what he had. I don't think this was the best song or arrangement for his voice, but it was still nice.

Quote of the night goes to Steven Tyler saying to Lauren "If you keep singing like that you'll be able to afford the rest of that dress." She performed "Candle in the Wind" and the judges loved it. I thought it was just all right. Last week she was better.

James Durbin had a flaming piano. Boooooo! I didn't see the point. His performance was okay. He moved around the whole room a little too much but his ending was good.

FINALLY!!! Casey Abrams kills it. This is what I've been waiting for. His tone was beautiful tonight. There was freedom in it that is so believable and America finally got to hear and see it. He has been screaming way too much and hasn't been showing his musicality. Tonight we got to see it all. Randy said it was tender and that is what will save him this week.

Jacob Lusk was great and so was Haley with "Bennie and The Jets." Haley surprised me and I think this was her best performance yet.

All in all, tonight's show paid great homage to Elton John and that's all we could ask for.

So who is going home??? I won't mind Scott going, but the 'lil girls like him. It's really tough when everyone this year is just so talented.

Until next week... Much Love and Happiness - Blake

Follow Blake Lewis' adventures in music on Twitter and his official YouTube channel. His latest album, 'Heartbreak on Vinyl,' is available on Tommy Boy Entertainment. And check out Blake on vocals in DJ Dan's latest single, "Operator."

Ken Plato

Scotty is the best one left. Losing him would be a blow.

April 04 2011 at 5:10 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Michelle Lucas

U forgot about Thia...I thought though Thia sang so well...she just has to loosen up a bit more..but she has a very good voice quality.

April 03 2011 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mchl105394065

I agree completely on Scotty. Anybody who's actually listened to country music can see he is just a clone of all the other male singers out in country right now.

That being said, his personality is completely fake. He might actually be nice if his personality didn't come across like an act. It's as if he's reading from a "How to be country" manual (rule #1 Never show enthusiasm over anything). Plus, what's with the stupid facial expressions? Hope he goes soon. Both he and Lauren---they are just no Carrie Underwood, so don't bother, Idol.

April 01 2011 at 10:32 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
mchl105394065

April 01 2011 at 10:32 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
Myke

Wow seems like this post has a bunch of tools commenting. I'm gonna have to roll with the Blake on this. Good call man.

April 01 2011 at 12:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kirs

Definitely disagree with you about Scotty. He's consistent every week. He deserves to be there. I would love see him show some range with his song choices, and go a bit more upbeat. As of right now, I think he could win the whole show.

March 31 2011 at 10:31 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Donnalb4000

Sorry disagree I love Country and not looking for any other kind of music from Scotty
He country singer I bet he will sell more then you ever did
beside you did bebob every week don't you think that got boring
for some

March 31 2011 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
krissy

hey blake:) i completely disagree with the Scotty remarks! im 17, so maybe you consider me a "lil girl", but i really think his voice is something special. and i hope he can go far in the competition! but even if he doesnt, he'll have a big career anyways so im not worried for him.
as for the others, i was really amazed by casey's performance. I actually didnt like Haley's as much as everyone else, but thats just me. I'm ready for either Paul or Stefano to go home... Pia and Jacob amaze me, and James is just super unique so i have a soft spot for him ;) thanks for sharing your thoughts! cant wait to see what happens...!

March 31 2011 at 9:20 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
thetruth

Blake, I also bet that Scotty McCreery will sell more cds than your disaster; Heartbeat on Vinyl...lol

You know nothing about music Blake. You still think Beat Boxing is in..lol

March 31 2011 at 7:00 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
thetruth

This from Blake, who was a flop in the music business. At least Country is still popular...unlike Beat Boxing.

March 31 2011 at 6:55 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply