April 20, 2014

'Grey's Anatomy' Musical Episode Recap

by Denise Warner, posted Mar 31st 2011 11:30PM
'Grey's Anatomy' - 'Song Beneath the Song'['Grey's Anatomy' - 'Song Beneath the Song']

Let's get what happened in the 'Grey's Anatomy' musical episode out of the way.

Arizona asked a pregnant-with-Mark-Sloane's-child Callie to marry her, but before she could answer, they were hit by a truck.

Dr. Torres was thrown through a windshield, leaving her bloody and clinging to life. (Bad idea to be eating right now!) During the trauma, Callie has an out-of-body experience where she and everyone around her sings. (And inexplicably, when they are not around her, too.)

All the doctors band together -- including Addison, in a random cameo, and the mention of the long lost Dr. Burke -- to save her life and the baby's. She wakes up and says yes to Arizona. Yay.

Now, let's move on to why this may not get the reaction Shonda Rhimes wants.

It goes beyond the musical episode being completely ridiculous, which it was. Is Callie really hallucinating kitchen counter sex between Owen and Cristina? Or Dr. Altman bending over while her husband, whom I'm going to call Noel because he's played by Scott Foley and I don't know his name, looks at her assets? No.

The real problem was bringing back the songs that played a major part in the heyday of 'Grey's.'

I'm not going to lie, I spent most of this episode trying to recall what was happening when these songs were first featured on 'Anatomy,' and not paying too much attention to what was happening in the present day at "Seattle Grace Mercy Death," as Alex so eloquently nicknamed the hospital. (Props to Justin Chambers for the best line of the night.)

So should we take a walk down memory lane with the songs from the show?

'Cozy in the Rocket,' Psapp
Callie sang this in the beginning, but you'll know it from the long-gone opening credits. Hot doctors curling their eyelashes, tying their scrubs and cuddling on an operating table -- didn't it just make you want to go to med school?

'Chasing Cars,' Snow Patrol
Callie, Owen (Kevin McKidd can sing!) and Bailey teamed up for the Snow Patrol hit, which originally played during what was probably the most pivotal scene in 'Grey's' history -- a sobbing Izzy leaving the hospital after Denny's death.

'Breathe (2AM),' Anna Nalick
Oh remember the Super Bowl episode? When Meredith had her hand inside the guy with a bomb in his chest? Yeah, I do too. Good times. Chyler Leigh does a fine job carrying the weight here, but nothing comes close to the emotional impact of the first time we heard it.

'How We Operate,' Gomez
Another one from the season 2 finale, when Burke lies on the operating table after being shot by a crazed gunman. (Jeez, Alex really is right.) This time, Owen uses it to interrupt the arguing doctors. Callie wasn't even in the room, so why are they singing?

'Wait,' Go Set Go
A little research showed this came from the second episode of the first season. Nothing particularly noteworthy happens -- Izzy helped a few illegal immigrants, Burke asked Bailey if she thought he had a God complex -- but still, the first season rocked. Tonight, we got some arguing between Mark-the-best-friend slash father-of-the-child and Arizona-the-lesbian-lover, and Bailey showing off her vocal chords.

'Running on Sunshine,' Jesus Jackson
No words really can describe what was going on here. Lots of sex, sunshine and clouds. Maybe it went over my head. I'd much rather watch Meredith waiting for McVet and McDreamy at Joe's and McSteamy come out of a shower with nothing but a towel on. (Season 3, episode 2.)

(Admission: Right here you can insert two songs that Google couldn't help me with.)

'Grace,' Kate Havnevik
Callie crashes and gets wheeled into surgery all the while singing the song that is forever linked with the dirty mistress sex that Meredith had with Derek at the prom. Could they have picked something different for this scene? Seriously?

'How to Save a Life,' The Fray
If this were really a musical, 'How to Save a Life' would have been the first-act finale. It featured all the doctors working furiously to save Callie and singing under their scrub caps and face masks. The Fray's chart-sensation first appeared during the episode 'Superstition,' when Denny went into surgery. But more importantly, it became the anthem for the third season -- and the band even created a version of their music video featuring 'Grey's.'

'The Story,' Brandy Carlile
Actually, this was the one time my full attention was on the TV, because Sara Ramirez looked like she was having a seizure while performing. I don't have any 'Grey's' specific memories with this -- although I do recall the music video debuted after the show one night.

Did 'Grey's' jump the proverbial shark? Probably not. Did it go out of its way to remind us how great it used to be? Definitely. And that's a bit of a problem.

Tell us: What did you think of the 'Grey's Anatomy' musical episode?

'Grey's Anatomy' airs Thursdays at 9PM ET on ABC.

Watch the full episode here:

asher

the song u are missing is Universe & u

October 15 2011 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Faith Oz

However, I did like most of the song choices.
Great memories from old times tied together with these new people. Every year that Grey's moves forward, you loss a little bit more of what it started out as... and yes, that does make me a little sad, but that's life. I feel that is one of the best things about this show, the music from 2004 will always be from 2004, but the people you sit down and listen to it with will change. People in your life walk out (like Burke and Issy) and people will die (like George) and it sucks. There will be people who leave as quickly as they entered (like McVet). People who stay, like Christina, but change like she has. ~sigh~ I mean, it this makes you yuck about the present day Grey's, what are you going to do next year when McDreamy leaves?

August 18 2011 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Faith Oz

However, I did like most of the song choices.

August 18 2011 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Faith Oz

There were parts I loved, Like Calie singing "'The Story,' Brandy Carlile", but 3 songs in a was totally sick of Owen. I just wish more of the cast would have stepped up and the musical numbers would have been divided up more. I know not everyone can sing, but that's the price you pay for doing a musical episode.

August 18 2011 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xander

I’m watching (or trying to at least) while I’m typing this, got so fed up with the episode I started googling for reviews which seem inexplicably mixed. Let’s just say… I know what side of the fence I sit on, and completely agree that all this episode made me do was long for the classic episodes when everything was fresher. Big thumbs down. (Having said that… I’d buy Sara Ramirez’ new EP. Just… hey, Shonda? Never do this again.)

April 15 2011 at 7:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh

Thought the episode was outstanding and you are way off base in your review. Sad peopleget paid to tell us what is "bad television" when in reality, we are watching "great" television.

April 14 2011 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KRIEGAR

I really enjoyed seeing and hearing the talent. But the format was just wrong. Grey's is not for 'musicals'.

April 13 2011 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cec Andrews

really really bad!!!

April 12 2011 at 7:13 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Diana Nolast

Everyone has a right to their own opinion , mine was THIS WAS AMAZING. The acting was spot on to the words in the songs, The feelings you see in their face and eyes as they sing like they are having a conversation WAS AWESOME. Shows so much talent not just in music but acting, story telling and body language! If it was on mute and no captions just by their faces and movements you could see the pain, FEEL the fear and love. The music did not take away but add a touch of love to each personal moment. I feel the reason why they show each one singing even when she was not around was not just because she was having an out of body experiences. I feel it was because they still had her with them in their heart when she was not around. Not to mention ( ok I will ) This was a coma dream of calie's that;s why it starts with her in the car before the crash only how it may have turned out if they had not crashed. ( IE Calie saying yes and telling her how much she loves her )..As for the love shots, Its not uncommon for couples to feel the need to be close and make love after a tragedy hits close to home. Music makes you feel, makes you see even if you can only hear the words. I know it would have been just as powerful without the songs to a lot of people, but for me added to story. I am not even a Grey's Anatomy freak (NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT ) who waits all week for it to come on, I just watch it online when I get bored. I just wanted to say from this one fan I thought it was brilliant!! Each solo musical spot was like watching a heart wrenching music video. So to end my long winded comment I will say, WELL DONE!!!!!!!

April 07 2011 at 11:07 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
middlelaw

That was the most excruciating 44 minutes or so of my life. Hey ABC, if you are going to continue this show, please NEVER do that again. That was nonsense!

April 06 2011 at 9:56 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply