July 31, 2014

HBO Cancels 'In Treatment' Sessions

by Harley W. Lond, posted Mar 31st 2011 1:00AM

Dr. Paul Weston is closing his practice: HBO has pulled the plug on 'In Treatment,' the Gabriel Byrne drama that followed the therapy sessions of a psychologist and his clients. The show lasted three seasons.

Though the series was a critical success -- Byrne won a Golden Globe in 2009 and Glynn Turman and Dianne Wiest won Emmys for their performances in the first season -- it never performed well in the ratings, drawing only 259,000 viewers for its season 3 premiere, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

HBO did soften the blow, somewhat, by keeping the door open for future projects for the characters of the shrink and some of his patients. "It's true that we have no plans to continue with 'In Treatment' as previously formatted. However, we are in continued conversations with the executive producers to find another way to continue telling these rich stories," HBO said in a statement.

What that means is not quite clear -- spin-offs, perhaps, or a similar "therapy" show but in a different setting?

I guess you need to be a Freudian to figure it out.

rjupitermoon

One of the most intelligent, compelling and well-acted programs on TV. I knew it wouldn't last since there were no explosions, car chases or super human feats setting up a predictable end, Nope it was all just good thought provoking dialog about the stuff of real life in an age where the masses want nothing more than self-indulgent fantasy.

July 06 2012 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pam

Can't believe HBO has canceled the best drama on premium TV. With all the mindless "junk" out there, why would you eliminate something that really gets the viewer thinking? What a mistake.

December 31 2011 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
l.breen

Not having HBO, I ordered the seasons from our local library. One of the finest written & acted shows ever. As a retired therapist I've identified roles from both sides of the "couch". Maybe it didn't do as well in the ratings because a lot of folks don't subscribe to HBO. I predict Mad Men will experience the same demise on cable network.
What a shame.

December 14 2011 at 5:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy

This show was my absolute favorite show to watch. So many mindless reality garbage shows on the tube. Very sad!!!!

July 31 2011 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SteveMDX

I just pre-ordered Season 3 of In Treatment from Amazon, as it represents the swan song of one of the most brilliant and authentic shows ever written for television.

June 22 2011 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RickD

I guess it is time for me to cancel HBO! Hey let's watch some more mindless reality shows or better yet , the Royal Wedding. Whew sure don't need to exercise my brain power for those type of shows. Oh Please!

In Treatment is one of the few series that allows the viewer to use his/her mind, makes us think and keeps us thinking until the next episode. It then draws us in deeper with each episode. Gabriel Byrne is a gifted actor and this show is so well written how could it get cancelled?

HBO, why would you keep "Hung" but cancel "In Treatment???"

April 26 2011 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stefalex23

Canceling In Treatment proves that HBO is going down the tubes. A terrible decision!
Michele

April 14 2011 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judith Hartman

I cannot believe they canceled such a brilliant show. The only show left on HBO is Real Time with Bill Maher. I might just have to cancel HBO . I so disagree with the way things are done on TV anymore. The powers that be are so controlled by greed that they cannot balance shows like "In Treatment", allow them to exist, and pay for it with the other 98% of substandard stupidity they normally televise.

April 08 2011 at 11:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MARY JD

Well, HBO cancelled "In Treatment" now I will have to assess canceling HBO. What or what are they thinking? They gave the show almost no publicity and then wonder why it didn't have more viewers. Duh.

April 04 2011 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I LOVE LOVE LOVE IN Treatment!!! Gabriel Bryne is the best actor ever!! Please do not cancel this show!!

April 04 2011 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply