April 17, 2014

Make-a-Wish Kid Turns 'Barefoot Contessa' Ina Garten Down

by PopEater Staff, posted Mar 31st 2011 11:30AM
Ina Garten
The tables have turned on Food Network star Ina Garten, the 'Barefoot Contessa,' who was publicly shamed last week for turning down a Make-a-Wish kid. On Monday, she called the family of Enzo Pereda, a 6-year-old cancer patient, to say she had reconsidered, but now TMZ is reporting they turned her down.

"This has been a disaster for Ina," a foodie insider tells PopEater's Rob Shuter. "She buried her head in the sand for days hoping the bad publicity would go over, but it didn't."

To a casual observer -- as well as the scores of new ex-fans -- Ina's change of heart on Monday appeared to be possibly driven more by the desire to nip a festering scandal in the bud, rather than to make a sick little boy's dream come true.

"She was worried her initial reaction was hurting her business," Shuter's source contends.

Ina had twice blown off meeting Enzo after the wonderful Make-a-Wish Foundation approached her before being shamed into finally contacting his family, independently of the foundation.

"Chefs think they are the new rock stars. And no one has a higher opinion of themselves than Ina," an insider tells Shuter. "She forgot a long time ago that it is the fans who make you who you are. You can be the most talented chef in the world, but if people don't like you, they won't watch your shows or buy your cookbooks."

Ultimately, Enzo's family decided to put an end to the madness and move on from Ina. "I don't want to put my son through all these emotions. We're better off just leaving everything the way it is," dad Adrian told TMZ.

It's great to see that the Pereda family holds no bad feelings and is already getting excited to have Enzo's other wish come true ... to swim with dolphins.

Lism8@aol.com

Right on Enzo!

April 12 2011 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lism8@aol.com's comment
Lism8@aol.com

I applaud the family for not meeting with her. What I understand is that Michael Symon is going to meet with him, and Enzo probaly have a better time.

April 12 2011 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tina Dean Yutzy

I've never liked the Barefoot Contessa's show, she always seemed like she thought she was better than others, and now I see I was right...most of the Food Network stars seem more down to earth but she always seemed uppity...but to turn down a terminally ill child? What monster does that? I think no matter who Make-a-Wish approaches, they go out of their way to help these children....how can you justify turning him down, not once, but twice! My mom was always a big fan of Ina's but after I told her she said she will never watch her show again...and I've told alot of people about what she's done...so word of mouth will sink her. So let's see how great she is when she's no longer a Food Network star...let her go back to cooking for her upper crust friends in her swanky community....she's a disgrace to the Food Network!
And I want to applaude the Pereda family, they definately took the high road on this and not publicly trash her (sorry don't know if I could have done that!)...they are truly a remarkable family with a remarkable little boy. And i read that some of the other Food Network celebrities have come forth to cook with/for them....God Bless Them! But the Pereda family is the real star here...

April 07 2011 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonathan L

I think it speaks volume that before reading this article I've never even heard of Ina Garten. I only feel bad for the little boy of course. Maybe a visit by a real chef like Gordon Ramsey of Kitchen Nightmares fame would brighten his spirits.

April 07 2011 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hod2001

I thought Ina had ovarian cancer herself. This is a despicable act from someone that should understand. I will boycott everythng associated with her.

April 07 2011 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CbigDon

I have always encouraged everyone I have meet about the Food Network and now this. I have never been so disappointed in a Chef. I have not only stopped watching her show but in fact have encouraged all my friends to as well. I should say I’m more disgusted – are you serious you snubbed a 6 year old who is terminally ill.
Good riddance

April 05 2011 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heath

IMHO, she always seemed to be stuck up "B" but I would at least watch her shows. This little fiasco has totally turned me off to Ina.

April 04 2011 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GetaClue

I wonder if she even knew about the request, or whether her "people" made the decision without bothering to consult her.

Just sayin'...

(BTW, I don't watch the show. I do get a kick out of the morons here organizing a lynching party with none of the facts. You folks need to turn of the tube and get outside more often.)

April 04 2011 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BARBARA

AS A GRANDMOTHER OF A GRANDMA WHO'S GRAND DAUGHTER WITH A BRAIN TUMOR AND WE HAD THE TRIP TO DISNEY FROM MAKE A WISH HOW CAN THE BAREFOOT CONTESSA FACE HERSELF TURN DOWN A CHILD WISH WOW WHAT A HEARTLESS SELFISH PERSON HOPE OT WILL HURT HER MORE THAN IT DID THE LITTLE BOY AND FAMILY HOPE WHEN THIS IS OVER SHE WILL BE BARFOOT SHE IS SO ''HEARTLESS'' HOPE SHE KNOW'S GOD NEVER SLEEPS BUT HOPE SHE CAN

April 03 2011 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cmaggart

i cant believe someone can be so self centered,i will never watch her show again.my family loves to cook and i have a big family that watches all these cooking shows ,but they wont be watching hers.god bless that kid

April 03 2011 at 12:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
janet

Enzo I hope you have a great time swimming with the dophins. If you still want to cook with a food network chef, I am sure one of the other chefs would love to cook with you. Wishing you well.

April 02 2011 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply