October 21, 2014

'Dancing With the Stars' Recap: Kirstie Alley Falls During Week Three Performances

by Katy Kroll, posted Apr 5th 2011 1:00AM
In week three of 'Dancing With the Stars,' the celebs told personal tales of tragedies and triumphs set to music. But a shockingly unexpected story stole the show: dancing pro Maksim Chmerkovskiy dropped partner Kirstie Alley during their live performance, and the two hit the ground ... hard.

The theme for the night was that each of the 10 remaining contestants had to reveal something intimate about themselves through choreography and a handpicked song.

Some got teary-eyed -- Chris Jericho dedicated his rumba to his dearly departed mother, while Romeo put on his dancing shoes for his two cousins who lost their lives when he was young. Others said "thank you" to those they loved in the audience -- Hines Ward did a booty-bouncing salute to his mother, and Ralph Macchio took some sweetly sentimental steps to celebrate his 24th wedding anniversary.

But it was Kirstie who had the most memorable moment of the night; surely not in the way she had hoped.

The 'Cheers' star based her dance on the "agony and ecstasy" of how, in 1980, her mother was killed after being hit by a drunk driver right before Kirstie landed her first big movie role in 'Star Trek II.' She had hoped that performing the rumba to the song 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' would show her "vulnerable" side, and boy did it ever ...

Just seconds into the performance, Maks crumbled to the floor as Kirstie leaned into him, and they became a jumbled mess of sequins and flailing limbs amid gasps from the audience. But as quickly as they went down, they got right back up. Kirstie amazingly never lost her cool, even as Maks grabbed his leg in pain and took a what-seemed-like-forever moment to catch his breath before continuing with the routine.

Although Maks winced his way through the rest of the moves, the duo finished the dance almost effortlessly. As they limped up to the judges' table, the worst was assumed: They'd surely be ripped apart for such a monumental blunder, right? Wrong.

The judges were surprisingly forgiving, and even thought the way Kirstie and Maks handled the situation made the duo look "better than ever." It no doubt helped that "vulnerability" was key to Kirstie's performance to begin with -- because even famous people surely feel powerless when they fall on their butts on live TV in front of millions of gawkers. And that palpable moment of recognition that something horrible could happen to any one of us, no matter who we are, allowed Kirstie to come out smelling like a rose, garnering straight sevens from the judges. Chances are she nabbed more than a few sympathy votes from viewers for staying graceful under pressure, too.

Despite taking one of the worst tumbles in DWTS history, Kirstie and Maks are most likely still safe from elimination. But, overall, the leaderboard got a good shake-up. Ralph fell from the top, opening up the playing field to newly anointed leaders Hines and Petra Nemcova, whose poignant waltz was inspired by what she experienced after surviving the 2004 tsunami in Thailand.

Meanwhile, Wendy Williams, Sugar Ray Leonard and Chelsea Kane delivered awkward routines. Not only was Wendy's footwork still a mess, but her inaccessible tale of how badly she wanted to become famous fell flat, and felt shallow. While the judges enjoyed Sugar Ray's 'My Prerogative'-themed, boxing-heavy paso doble, it came across as cheap pandering to focus viewers on the fact he's an all-American icon rather than a not-so-great dancer. And Chelsea Kane self-indulgently cha-cha-chaed to a virtually unknown song (shamelessly titled 'Chelsea') that her first love wrote for her. Of course, the judges loved it. But, really, it was a lot less entertaining than her jive last week.

When it comes to who'll stay and who'll go, all signs point to Wendy being in deep trouble. So, tell us: Do you think she'll indeed be the next to exit or is there a surprise elimination awaiting us?

'Dancing With the Stars' airs Mondays at 8PM ET and Tuesdays at 9PM ET on ABC.

Watch the full episode here:

Part 1

Part 2

Paula

Why is Kristie even on the show still? It is not about her size it is the fact that she can not dance. She has no rhythm whatsoever. It hurts me to watch her. This is Bristol all over again. You do not really have to dance on this show. What is going to happen when she she has to be lifted in the air for a dance?

May 03 2011 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Anonymous

Maks should never have even had to dance with someone of THAT SIZE > Dancers are thin and fit for a reason.
What's next, a routine where Maks is expexted to lift her in the air? Then when he crumbles under her enormous self, all you thick chicks can sit back in denial and blame Maks for being weak.
I don't have anything against BIG GIRLS. But the dance floor , on live TV......... no way. It is not fair to the partner. She is in total denial about her limitations. I think it was very selfish of her....not brave.
If the network wants to have BIG PEOPLE on the dance floor they shoud have a show like Dancing With The Chubs and make all the dance partners appropriately size matched and all the dance routines fat friendly..
Sorry ....if this post makes you angry.......but --- the truth usually stings a bit.

April 09 2011 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jana

I'm watching Dancing for the first time because of Kirstie!!! I think she is doing awesome and am really proud of her. All the "big girl" haters need to crawl back under their rocks, she moves better than any of the "little girls" and she does it gracefully and with pride. She obviously works hard and it shows. I hope she wins, and am impressed in everything she does. I watched her show and peaking inside her life only made me respect her more. She is a wonderful mother and friend, and I highly respect her and her dealing with her weight problems over the years. She is a true "star"!!!

April 07 2011 at 4:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
imeygal

ok im done with all u skinny people on here making your remarks about Kirstie and Wendy. All the people out there who believe this needs to be made wear a fat suit so you can feel how it feels when you make your rude commits. Oh wait most of you skinny people get help in keeping your bodies in good shape. Oh lets take pills or drugs oh no I just ate some food I need to go throw it up now. I cant even gain one pound heavens for bid I am in a size 3 or more. I think these heavy set women are doing great even if they dont make it through they still went out and tried, I think that Kirstie is gonna be one of the last standing and all these rude commits is gonna help her win. The one thing she has agianst all of you rude people making rude commits is fame and her great personality. She knows she is heavy but she still finds a way to be happy and make her viewers enjoy her and want to watch her week after week. All I can say to you kirstie is you go on smiling and you knock em out girl one by one.

April 06 2011 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joanne

O PLESE SEND WENDY HOME...SHE HAS NO FEEL FOR DANCING AND FAR WORSE SHE SEEMS NOT TO EVEN CARE THAT SHE D ONT WANNA DANCE. THERE IS NO LIFE IN HE WOMAN ALSO THE JUDGES NEED TO STOP SAYING " LARGER THAN LIFE" AND COMENTS TO HER SIZE. SEND HER HOME!!! ITS A DANCING SHOW.

April 05 2011 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mary lou

It is so sad Maks is one of the best male dancer on DWTS, a cow like Kirstie Alley ruins the entire evening, Maks is more than likely 100 lbs lighter than her, her fat body weight pulled him down and injured his precious dancing legs; I really do not enjoy seeing fat people on TV , this girl cannot dance , her body is so huge , her hair and skin looks dirty and she has an ego thinking she is really hot ; Maks looked like he wanted to gag the night she kissed on him. YUCK , Kirstie go get a life off TV and DWTS, even the Judgeswhen you are performing--- the looks on their faces do not like watching you it is obvious they really dont want you on the show, but pleasure you for coverage to the onlookers that must be very disappointed in the Kirstie and Wendy.

April 05 2011 at 1:03 PM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to mary lou's comment
BallroomDancer

Mary Lou, I find your remarks about Kirstie Alley highly offensive, not to mention your hallucination about the "looks on [the judges'] faces. You also apparently did not hear Maks' remarks to Kirstie as they left the stage area last week: "The next time you want to kiss me...let me know...and I will participate." And what does "but pleasure you for coverage to the onlookers that must be [blah, blah, blah]" supposed to mean?

The judges could have really marked them down for Maks spasming thigh muscle causing him to drop Kirstie--who was more concerned with Maks than the fact that he had just dropped her on the floor in front of 20-odd million viewers and more power to her for it--but instead, they appreciated their professionalism and ability to pick up the dance (even though Maks was obviously in pain) flawlessly. I think they might even have gotten a 9 if his unfortunate injury hadn't happened. And he was apologizing to the judges--do you think any of the dancers want to mess up? And of all people, Maks?!

Just so you know, I waited all evening for the pleasure of watching their routine--and Ralph's, Hines', and Chris' , in particular. I was not disappointed in any of their routines.

April 05 2011 at 1:23 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
mchl105394065

And I don't enjoy reading people running their fat mouths, but here we are.

April 05 2011 at 3:31 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Rosy Bellaart

It is an unprevented circumstance for Kirstie and Maks. I love to see Kirstie, down to earth and the most entertaining dancer. She lost weight and she is so beautiful .Go for it girl.

April 05 2011 at 12:28 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
Delivered in Duluth

Wait a minute... I thought this was Dancing with the stars.... forgive me for being precise, but I dont think any dance includes falling to the floor. On Kirstie's behalf, I was watching this incident and think her partner pulled the old ... "I've got a bad back ... I've got a trick knee...". She's the one who should have been upset, but instead I saw him trying to milk the moment for sympathy points. As much as I ike Kirstie ... sympathy has no place in the judging in a dance contest. Awkard the others may have been, but their feet were on the floor at all appropriate times! My advice ... Kirstie, dump your partner and find a real man who can handle a real woman like you. But I dont think you two should still be in the running. SORRY!

April 05 2011 at 12:23 PM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Delivered in Duluth's comment
Scarlett

I disagree. I think Maks actually took the high road in taking the blame. What really happened is that she weighs so much, his one leg couldn't support her full weight plus his own...it simply gave out. So he did not try to "milk" the moment...he instead took all the blame himself!!!! Maks is quite a gentleman. So to say Kirstie should be upset is unbelievable.

April 07 2011 at 1:15 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Kit4Kat

Poor Kirstie, everyone is going to blame it on her weight, whether they articulate it or not.
Ralph: i love your dancing but why so stiff while waiting for the judges' scores? We appreciate your longterm marriage but really, can't u put ur arm around your partner even a little?
And Wendy, yeah she's on her way out the door

April 05 2011 at 11:56 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
notmerl

Maks need to receive hazard pay.

April 05 2011 at 8:33 AM Report abuse -6 rate up rate down Reply