October 22, 2014

Meredith Vieira Likely Leaving 'Today' In September

by Jean Bentley, posted Apr 5th 2011 5:40PM
Meredith VieiraMeredith Vieira will most likely step down as co-anchor of 'Today' when her contract expires in September, according to a new report from TV Guide.

Vieira is apparently "beloved" by the 'Today' cast and crew, but a combination of long, tiring hours and personal struggles (her husband is battling multiple sclerosis and cancer) are likely the reason why she'd leave. Vieira would only sign a one-year deal when her contract expired last year, and has been open about her husband's health problems.

However, NBC doesn't want to see her go. "NBC is doing everything they can to convince her to stay," an insider told TV Guide.

The former 'View' panelist joined Matt Lauer on 'Today' after Katie Couric left to anchor the CBS Evening News. Just yesterday, word came that Couric would step down from her post to host a daytime talk show when her contract is up in June.

NBC responded to TV Guide via statement, saying "The 'Today' show anchors are currently under contract and firmly in place."

When Vieira does leave 'Today' -- whether that's in September or a year after that -- Ann Curry, the show's current news anchor, will likely replace her.

Tell us: Will you still watch 'Today' if Vieira leaves? Would you be sad to see her go?

rsk4405

are you sick meridith ive never seen a person dump shows like your doing or do you have just too much money

July 16 2011 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thedarksidecat

This was the best team EVER! IMHO. Best of luck to her and her family. I will not watch Ann Curry in the lead however. She just can't carry it like Matt and Meredith and Al can. This is truly a sad day for NBC!

May 02 2011 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ltlmurfaz

I bet she's tired of getting the "fluff" interviews with kate gosselin!!

April 09 2011 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mjharris

I will hate to see her leave...finally the Today Show has an anchor with intelligence and grace...and always a good sense of humor!

April 08 2011 at 9:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
budrustler

Personally, I won't miss Meredity, but will hate to see Matt leave. Maybe Lester Holt can take Matt's place.
And Ann Curry is wonderful and she should have been chosen for Katie's place instead of Meredith.
But I am sure that they will find the right ones, and the show will go on!

April 08 2011 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tarratoms

I personally like Meredith Viera. I would hate to see her go. I was very pleased when Katie Couric left. She was just too weird for me. Viera delivers the news in a professional, meaningful way. I hope she stays, but home commitment comes first. I've been watching the TODAY show for about 20 years and what I see happening is te "team" is often broken up. They are rarely in the studio all together. Either one has a day off or on assignment. I miss the chemistry between the 4 key people. I hope Meredith stays and her husband gets well.

April 08 2011 at 8:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hdavidrice

I will not miss Viera because I watched for a while after Katie left and then found I couldn't stomach her smarmy way especially with Lauer. I have not watched the show for at least four years and I never missed a show before Katie left. If Lauer is leaving as well, they may as well close the show. Who else could hold that huge audience?

April 07 2011 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
recosby1954

I've loved Meredith's reporting and personality since she was on "60 Minutes". While I would hate to see her go, she needs this time wth her husband.

April 07 2011 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joan

Ann Curry is the best...warm, interested and smart. I like Matt L . i like Meredith. Cannot stand Katie Couric and will never watch the Today Show again if she comes back. Have to day her stupid move to CBS for the power and glory of it came back to bit her in the butt....I'm sure she has realized she was much happier on The Today Show and had more fun for sure. But i never really liked her.

April 07 2011 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Johnna Sue

I will still watch - sooooo very sorry to hear about Meredith's husband as I had NO idea regarding his health problems! I do hope Meredith stays with the Today Show and also hope Matt stays as he is totally the BEST anchor they have ever had. Not sure I would keep watching if he leaves. I do like Ann, but can't imagine the show without Matt. The traveling Ann does is unimabinable and I really think her family has to suffer from her being gone all over the world all the time!!! NBC, please keep all of them including Al (love him also)!!!

April 07 2011 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply