August 20, 2014

Matt Lauer Leaving 'Today': Report

by Chris Harnick, posted Apr 6th 2011 5:50PM
Matt LauerFirst Meredith Vieira, now Matt Lauer. Reports are surfacing that the longtime anchor will soon leave NBC's 'Today.'

According to 'Entertainment Tonight,' Lauer will leave the top-rated daytime show when his contract is up. However, don't panic just yet -- Lauer's under contract until Dec. 31, 2012.

NBC issued the following statement to the New York Post regarding the possible departure of both of 'Today''s anchors: "There seems to be an awful lot of speculation around news anchors these days, and it's not our practice to comment on any of it. Matt Lauer has a long-term contract with NBC News and 'Today.'"

Lauer has spent 13 years in the co-anchor seat, but he's been with 'Today' since 1994.

News of Lauer's intention to resign comes on the heels of widespread speculation regarding Vieira's departure after her contact expires in September 2011.

Lauer's former 'Today' co-host Katie Couric also made headlines for her expected June 2011 departure from 'CBS Evening News.' Couric is rumored to be looking at launching a daytime talk show with former NBC honcho Jeff Zucker.

Earlier this week a representative for 'Today' released this comment: "The 'Today' show anchors are currently under contract and firmly in place."

Tell us: Would you watch 'Today' without Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira?

harry.wilkinson

When Matt leaves I may start watching it again!!! Till then I`m following Ann

August 10 2012 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Murphy

matt lauer stay on today show, matt lauer

August 16 2011 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy

Hooray - Meredith is finally leaving - I've been watching The Today Show for many, many years. Since Meredith has been on the show, I only watch it when she's not on. She is nasty, uninformed and totally unprofessional. She belongs back on "The View" with the other useless idiots. As for Matt and Ann, please don't let them leave. They are wonderful.

May 05 2011 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
coach of RMB24

Welcome to the coach coin purse outlet store. Here has many cheap coach purses.Coach outlets store, your
best choice! The purses here are just for you! The Coach Coin Purses make you graceful!

May 02 2011 at 4:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ebertji

Matt should stay with Today. I will not watch it without him. Please stay Matt!!!

April 19 2011 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fleurdemills

Matt should stay at today. He did have a great chemistry with katie but she actually overpowered him. Stay at Today so I can wake up and start my day with you and the crew!!

April 11 2011 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ambarr1113

Matt should stay on the Today Show. Katie will not last, and his viewers will not be faithful, if he leaves

April 11 2011 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy Budney

I think Matt should stay on the Today Show. I don't think Katie Couric will last and she loves to stell the show!

April 11 2011 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vav0071

Matt, please don't leave the Today show, it will not be the same without you.

April 11 2011 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pinkribbonlady

I would not like to see Matt leave the today show. Meredith does add something, but I think that Ann should have gotten the job in the first place. Matt is a good stable interviewer, Ann gets into the persons face and you just want to share with her. I think that Meredit looses credibility with her other show. As far as Ryan Seacrest replacing Matt, I DON'T THINK SO!!!! could you really see him interview a head of state??

April 11 2011 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply