October 21, 2014

'The Real Housewives of Miami' Season 1, Episode 7 (Reunion) Recap

by Amy Kuperinsky, posted Apr 6th 2011 1:15AM

['The Real Housewives of Miami' - 'Reunion']The cast of 'The Real Housewives of Miami'

It's probably no surprise that the first-ever live 'Housewives' reunion show resulted in more than one commercial-break brawl. And that they needed an electric fan set up in that sweaty Bravo clubhouse (it wasn't for the windswept hair, was it?)

Most telling was the suddenly out-for-blood Adriana and her not so subtle hint that if everyone was a magnet for drama like her, the show would be better. Even she inferred that the series' plots, and perhaps the women themselves, weren't exactly riveting.

Actually, as a person, Adriana seemed a little subdued on the show. Yet here, even the soft ones, Marysol and Alexia, were also on the defensive. Adriana, Lea and Alexia all had some kind of beef with Cristy. Cristy had a beef with Alexia over two different sound bites and Marysol went to bat for Elsa in refusing to forgive Larsa so long after her offense against her mother, "the witch."

After Adriana's comment about the show needing more Adrianas, it was hard to see her constant stream of bleep-worthy vitriol as anything more than a play for people to keep watching. A last-ditch effort. Lea offering a few taps on her knee did just about as much to calm her down as encourage her to ensure plentiful ratings. Sure, the show was live, but it was also the shortest type of reunion with the smallest set (the beginning was starved of wide shots). With the original premiere season supposedly cut in half, there wasn't much of a demand for a two-parter reunion a la Atlanta or New York.

Launching statements in Cristy's direction such as, "You look like a man" and "Just Google yourself," Adriana appeared fired up about the never-ending tickets situation, but Cristy refused to bite all that much. She remained unmoved by most allegations, or at least not bothered enough to defend herself beyond a few even-keeled explanations. Even if she happened to be the one who's wrong, she looked more right, at least in her match with Adriana, simply because she was more composed. Yet, in Adriana's estimation, that approach is wrong if you want your series renewed. This equation may as well ring true in 'Housewives' land.

Andy's been indulging in his love affair with Elsa via 'Watch What Happens: Live' all season, so her presence was undoubtedly missed. Also, who would've thought Marysol would be the one to get the DUI? (In addition to Elsa, of course). Then again, they do have that giant wine unit, the subject of an interior decorating dispute between the newlyweds.

Lea remained a barrel of laughs. Not that she was funny, but she didn't fail to make herself laugh, pshawing any notion that she uses her cackling to push passive aggression on everyone else. It's still surprising that she didn't at least offer some form of apology for hurting Marysol with her green card comment. If Marysol can brush it off, Lea can meet her halfway.

After Adriana's rants, the cast looked off to different sides as the show cut to break, trying not to make eye contact with each other or the camera. These are not pleasant affairs, but at least this time, in such close quarters, Andy wasn't tossed aside like a rag doll. Still, the whole thing was rushed: The six-episode season, the reunion, the series at large.

Will it return? The outlook is not good, if not already decided. And if it does, what changes would you want to see?

'The Real Housewives of Miami Reunion' aired at 9PM ET on Bravo.

Patti Rose Frank

I agree with socaldinah. Keep Alexia, Lea & Marysol. And of course mama Elsa! I lived in FL for 10 years, 4 of them in Miami. This was 20 years ago; I miss living there & I love how the Cuban culture has grown. I look forward to a second season of this amusing show.

April 15 2011 at 12:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patti Rose Frank

I agree with socaldinah. Keep Marysol, Alexia & Lea! They are the stars of this franchise. I lived in FL for 8 years, 3 of them in Miami. This was 20 years ago, so I love how the Cuban culture has really grown. I look forward to a 2nd season of this amusing show.

April 15 2011 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
edwarddpowell

Turn in your mancard, dan e lad ! You watch this stuff?

April 13 2011 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lara Kent

Watch Here NO SURVEY --- http://lb.cm/ZV2

or

Direct here FULL VIDEO Streaming

April 06 2011 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susanna

Miami was horribly miscast. Lea is at least wacky and doesn't take herself too seriously and Marysol really grew on me as the season progressed. The rest of them should be replaced with less one demensional women who actually have interesting lives and more to talk about than their nanny drama.

April 06 2011 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dan_e_lad

I think compared to other versions of the Housewives franchise, the Miami one was a little more tamed. However, it is very apparent that these ladies have a personality, and a strong one at that! ... at least more than the D.C. Housewives. I would have seen the season develop more and definitely would have loved to see the reunion develop in more than an hour because there was obviously a lot of ground to cover and a lot problems/arguments that were cut short due to the one hour reunion. After seeing the rivalries between the ladies at an all time high during the reunion, it makes me wonder what will happen next! And for this, I would love to see a season 2 to see where these relationships go now that they have actual problems with each other. Season 2 would be sure to have some definite DRAMA!

April 06 2011 at 3:07 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dan_e_lad's comment
Olivv1

I completely agree! I really hope that they decide to renew this season because all of the unfinished business and drama that is left over from the reunion will make for one hell of a second season. It would be a shame to end it right now because it would feel like there is no closure. And it would be AWFUL if we never got to see Elsa Patton again on tv just because bravo decided to rush this and not give it full time to bloom. A second season would definitely be welcome in my book, and i hope that they do it.

And they still haven't decided because Andy was sent this tweet:

"@BravoAndy Will the #RHOM reunion be the last we see of this cast?"

To which he replied:

"@Big_Silly_Homo I hope not!"

So i'm keeping my fingers crossed

April 06 2011 at 8:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
texdeb3

I also cringed whenever she was talking/attacking. It seems she looking to draw attention to herself. She certainly doesn't care how what she says may hurt other's children. I didn't believe any of what she was saying because of how out there she is. She needs to work on herself. She isn't all that and it certainaly was obvious she's the one in need to find someone to support her and her son. Get a real job, you also need to get some education because you come off pretty dumb actually and clean up your act and maybe learn what it is to be a real lady. I really don't like this one out of all the Housewive's and all the show's combinded.

April 06 2011 at 2:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nan's AOL

I shutter to think that that Brazilian woman even THINKS she could come close to being anything like the BeverlyHills Housewives....she has NO CLASS and as far as speaking all those languages, she seems to only know the ugly, rude and crude words...No Lady there for sure....Marysol I believe is the only REAL lady in the entire group...

April 06 2011 at 1:37 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Nan's AOL's comment
socaldinah

I love Alexia, Marisol and Lea. The others are really not that interesting. I would love to see more of Mama Elsa. She is hysterical and wise and so fun to watch. The question about how much work has she had done cracked me up. Adriana thought they were talking about her actually working. She didn't have a clue what Andy was asking. Christy is just a trouble maker that wants to me in the limelight and Larsa is very self-centered...Go with the three I mentioned and recast the rest.

April 06 2011 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply