August 1, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

'American Idol's' Scotty McCreery Gets His Elvis On! (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 7th 2011 12:42AM
Scotty McCreary, 'American Idol'Scotty McCreery reached a little deeper into his repertoire, without heading into alien territory for the country crooner on 'American Idol' (Wed., 8PM ET on FOX). With the theme based around the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, McCreery went with a song that became Elvis Presley's first single, 'That's Alright, Mama.'

First recorded by blues singer Arthur Crudup, the song was a natural fit for McCreery's vocal style, and he even added a little blues swagger to his vocal presentation. Or was that a little bit of something else?

"Do you watch rap, or hip-hop, or anything like that," Jennifer Lopez asked him. "Because I feel a little bit of flavor in there!"

'American Idol' airs Wednesdays and Thursdays at 8PM ET on FOX.

"Anybody that thought you were a one-trick pony, that all you did was the country thing?" Randy Jackson said. "Dude, you can perform. This was amazing dude!"

What did you think of McCreary's take on 'The King of Rock n' Roll'?

Frankie Fields

Scotty is going to be the Prince following Elvis The King!!!

May 27 2011 at 7:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pam6023

after reading the postings i agree I think the public is on the money except voting Casey off so early. Scotty has that sparkel the all american kid...I hope he wins but I do fill this is the best talent going on this show in 10 season. Are the judges nice yep, and that's Ok there is enough negative in the world yes, I'm sure there very good at giving them advice when the camera's are off...Love Steven tyler...and J-low is refreshing and how can you not love Randy...Ryan just keeps getting better...It's hard to Vote all the Ido'ls are good but I agree with the posting on who should go next....

April 15 2011 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pam6023

love american Idol...it's the best season with talent you either have it or you don't.....

April 15 2011 at 11:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tmoxfo

Scotty is the best one to be on idol in a long time he should win big he has pazzas and spakel and caseys real good to they did right to save him they should be 1 and two lets hope and he sang thats alright mama like a pro awesome

April 10 2011 at 8:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
William

I got news for you all trying to say this was country...this wasn't a country song and it wasn't sung by a country singer. Do some history on Authur Crudup and you'll find he's far from Hank Sr. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Crudup Elvis covered a few of Author's songs as he did MANY, MANY other black blues singers songs. Elvis didn't intend on this song sounding country either. If you think that you need to listen to his version in the 50's all the way throughout his career till his last year of life in '77. Regardless of how he sang it you can feel Memphis blues coming out of it. Elvis loved country and rock wasn't even out of the bag but you had blues which I will say is just as old if not older than country. People don't really recall a date because nobody publicized blues style singing. Elvis was right smack dab in the middle of the delta, where I'm from so you have all types of music but blues is the BIGGEST. Yes John Lennon said, "Before Elvis there was nothing" but that was because whites weren't acknowledging black music back then which is why James Brown said "He taught white America to get down!" The music was already there, all Elvis did was bridged a gap. I'm a white guy and just as Elvis did I can give credit where it's due. It also wasn't a white guy that came out with the first Rock 'n' Roll song either. That's All Right Mama, country???? That's just sacreligious.

April 08 2011 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wild

yes its american idol unless i am wrong country music is american music country has deeper roots in history then rock rap hip hop i dont care if you like country or not its is american music . oh yes i wish scott would go home he couldnt sing his way out of wet paper bag

April 08 2011 at 4:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gray165

the show is called american idol not nashville star...by the way, whatever happened to nashville star...it was canceled because nobody watched it...just saying

April 07 2011 at 5:51 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
deilerma

Sorry I meant Pia can sing, apparently I dont care for her much lol

April 07 2011 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deilerma

I stand corrected, Elvis was a country boy and he did mix country and rock; that was the era of rockabilly birth (Carl Perkins even Jerry Lee Lewis) . Also I am not saying that Pia can't sing, but man that swelled head of hers is the reason why I dont vote for her. She and the Billy Ocean guy, Jacob would do great in a church choir

April 07 2011 at 3:25 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to deilerma's comment
L78lancer

Thank you for correcting the history. I think Little Richard was in the mix, too. But next time tell us what you REALLY think about PIA! LOL!

April 07 2011 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zookeeper536

You weren't the only one who mentioned non-country. I agree with you on the rest, especially Jacob. There's something about his mannerisms that really irritate me; he's too flamboyant in his gestures. Adam was one thing, but he didn't hide. And, Pia definitely has an "I'm too good for this crap why haven't they picked me already over these losers" attitude.

The rest of my post was more or less a stroll down memory lane! I was surprised at how much I actually experienced and remembered (lol) and, once I got going, I couldn't stop!! GO SCOTTY!!!

April 07 2011 at 3:40 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Susan

For all the "youngsters" (I assume) out there who keep saying Scotty did good with a non-country song - The King WAS country! Elvis took country crooning and put rock into it. Come to think of it, a lot of the old rockers had country undertones - Buddy Holly, Roy Orbeson, Bill Haley, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddly - and the list goes on. Back in the 50's & 60's, country and folk music simply and easily blended with rock 'n roll and was the in sound. It was still country and folk, just with a different beat. Rock, as it is known today, didn't really hit the USA until the British Invasion with groups like the Stones, The Beatles, Herman's Hermits, Dave Clark Five, The Who, and so on. Even the Brits tried their skills at country. The Beatles had a few and so did the Stones. People like Hendrix, Joplin, Jefferson Airplane were all after the British Invasion. (This is what I actually remember! Aaaah! Getting old!!! I was like 14, 15 or 16 when Hendrix, Joplin, Iron Butterfly & Airplane played the Electric Factory. Anyone else on here remember when? Would love to hear from you!)

April 07 2011 at 3:07 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply