'Archer' Season 2, Episode 11 Recap
Sacre bleu! 'Archer' went all the way to Monaco and engaged in some classic spy shenanigans. Racing in the Monaco Grand Prix! Stealing (back) bearer bonds! A casino heist!
Did these action-packed events happen in the course of a spy mission or protection gig? No, the gang wasn't protecting some tycoon or gaining some valuable intelligence. They were there to obtain one of Malory's sex tapes. Obviously.
And of course, to pay for aforementioned sex tape, Malory raided the ISIS employees' 401(K) plans. Obviously!
At this point, you have to wonder what it would take to get Krieger, Pam, Cyril and the rest of the ISIS employees to quit. They've been shot at, insulted and kidnapped countless times. In the course of a normal workday, they endure all kinds of physical danger from enemies and various kinds of emotional abuse from Malory. Now she's raided their retirement plans for her own benefit.
What keeps these people in her employ? Does ISIS have incredible free snacks in the break room? (Of course, we now know that Cheryl doesn't even need to work, but she's pretty much nutso and her brain is fried from sniffing glue, so she doesn't really count.)
Even if the mission wasn't exactly up James Bond's alley, the casinos, dinner jackets and snooty Frenchmen recalled that Bond-ian world, and there was an 'Ocean's 11' vibe as well, thanks to Lana's voiceover during the classic heist scenes. Excellent editing there, very reminiscent of the 'Ocean's' flicks past and present.
I also enjoyed the visual artistry of the Grand Prix scenes. Sometimes 'Archer' can seem a little visually static, but this scene certainly had a lot of fizzy energy, and what's not to love about a Formula 1 car and a helicopter colliding in mid-air? Thanks to a conveniently placed truck ramp? That is always A for Awesome.
Through it all, we learned that Archer isn't much of a gambler, even if he is pretty nimble when it comes to jumping from one racecar to another, and that Ray is, as always, a good guy with a good head on his shoulders. He may swipe toiletries now and then, but he has his winning qualities and he looks pretty good in a Chanel suit.
Only two more episodes of 'Archer' to go this season! Sacre bleu! See you next week, ISIS fans.
Here's my bullet list of notes, observations and favorite quotes (feel free to add yours in comments):
• You knew this was coming: "Benoit." "Balls."
• Did you spot the reference to the R&B group Biv Bell DeVoe? And of course, any mention of that group compels me to link to this.
• "And yes, the A is for awesome!"
• Archer still has the Dicky and Seamus tattoos. Nice continuity.
• "Can't play cards, can't drink. What the hell good are you?"
• "Happy?" "Yeah, except for my gun's all soapy."
• A new Pam-ism: "S***-snackin' crackers!"
• We got some Krieger time this week. Yay! We even saw the Choke-Bot do a fist bump. Nice.
• Was Krieger selling the office equipment to a refugee from 'Miami Vice'? It looked that way.
• "This is like taking candy from... a candy-hating baby."
This is divinely random: At a later point in the episode, the racers were listed as "Moonsie," "Bennett" and "Kotero." I'll save you the Google search: They were the singers in Apollonia 6.
• The Scottish guy doing race commentary was spot-on, and his especially amazed reference to a "negress" in the race was particularly insane.
• "Who are you, Carrie Nation?"
• "Why was I dressed as Hitler?" (The Archer childhood flashbacks never fail to be disturbingly funny. But be honest, you thought Malory as Elvira was a little sexy, right?)
• "That was actually pretty ballsy."
• "Y'all, my car is slowing down for some unknown reason... just must be out of carburetor."
• "Plus I gave them all my stickers!"
'Archer' airs 10PM ET Thursdays on FX.
Follow @MoRyan on Twitter.