November 27, 2014

Mary McDonnell Joins 'The Closer' Full-Time, Will She Star in the Spinoff?

by Chris Harnick, posted Apr 7th 2011 11:15AM
Mary McDonnellFrak yeah! Mary McDonnell has joined the cast of TNT's 'The Closer' as a series regular.

According to TVLine, McDonnell, who has recurred on the long-running TNT drama as Captain Sharon Raydor, will be a full-time cast member when 'The Closer' returns for a final "super-sized" season.

McDonnell, who wormed her way into the hearts of fans as President Laura Roslin on 'Battlestar Galactica,' could headline TNT's 'Closer' spinoff once Kyra Sedgwick leaves the franchise.

Sedgwick will leave 'The Closer' in 2012, but TNT is hoping to spin off one or several characters into the tentatively titled 'Major Crimes.'

"I cannot fathom how difficult it will be to say goodbye to the incredible family we've created on 'The Closer,'" Sedgwick said in a statement in December. "I will always be grateful to James Duff for his love and friendship, as well as for creating such a rich and complex character who I have loved living with year after year. Mike, Greer, Rick and all of our outstanding cast and crew are forever in my heart."

The seventh season of 'The Closer' will air in chunks, with 10 episodes premiering in summer 2011, five in the winter and six in the summer of 2012.

McDonnell has not officially been named the heir to the 'Closer' throne, but it's safe to say producers are considering the Academy Award nominee. Hey, if she can't join the best pilot ever (aka '17th Precinct'), this is the next-best thing.

Tell us: Would you watch a 'Closer' spinoff starring Mary McDonnell?

Follow Chris Harnick on Twitter.

flowwrnglr

Since I only watch "The Closer" episodes with Mary McDonnell, my vote is YES!!! The character would have to become more three-dimensional, ala Laura Roslin on "Battlestar Galactica", one of the greatest female fictional characters of all time -- we need to see the "Sharon" side as well as the "Raydor" side. (McDonnell excels at this.) Get Olmos to guest star!

July 28 2011 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hgfhg Ghjgk

== http://alibabiz.com ==

Our company is your best Choice

"1* Top quality, reasonable price

2* With boxes and tags

3* SHOE Size available: US8/8.5/9.5/10/11/12/13/14/15

4* Payment Terms: Paypal and Credit card,western union

5* Prompt & Safe delivery: EMS, TNT, DHL, Fedex, UPS 5-

8days delivery time

6* Small order available

7* )bulk order, more discount

8* Suitable for most of people, due to wholesale price

9*Our products are of top quality, selling to the USA, UK,

Germany, France, Italy, Canada and Australia"

welcome you to visit our site.: ========= ==== http://alibabiz.com =======

April 08 2011 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dixgrl78

Raydor and Flynn on Major Crimes would be so awesome! But at least I know I'll be seeing more of Mary in season 7 which is the best news yet.

April 07 2011 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathi J

I don't think the Capt. Raydor character is likeable enough or strong enough to carry an entire show. McDonnell plays her very, very well but the character gives me the willies and I wouldn't watch a show built around it. Frankly, I think a spinoff isn't a good idea at all.

April 07 2011 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

There has been a noticeable shift in the way Raydor was written this past season. Kinder, less confrontational. I wondered if they were planning to bring her on to the team. McDonnell is a great actress and very overlooked for her excellent work on Battlestar Galactica, so she could be a great addition to the series if written well.

April 07 2011 at 12:31 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
amsu301

Heck Yes! I LOVE Captain Raydor!

April 07 2011 at 11:34 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply