'American Idol:' Pia Toscano Had a Bad Feeling About Elimination Night

by Hilary Rothing, posted Apr 8th 2011 1:40PM
While the rest of us are still in a state of disbelief over last night's shocking elimination of 'American Idol' front-runner Pia Toscano, the Howard Beach singer says she saw it coming -- in a premonition.

In a conference call this afternoon, Pia Toscano told the press she had a bad feeling about elimination night: "The night before, I had a weird feeling in my stomach. I felt good about my performance but I said to my parents, 'I kind of feel like I'm going to be in the bottom three tomorrow.' I kind of like expected it, it was weird."

The singer couldn't attribute the hunch to anything in particular, as she felt good about her first up tempo performance, the Tina Turner classic, "River Deep, Mountain High."

In the 12 hours since Toscano's elimination, there's been much speculation as to what exactly led to her ousting. Everything from an unstoppable tween-girls voting block to the judges' lack of critical guidance to rigged results from the producers has been tossed around. But the woman at the center of the drama simply shrugged off her elimination.

"I really don't know," said Pia. "There's no exact formula."

Like those who graciously went before her, Pia was quick with the handy "it was just my time to go" and "everything happens for a reason," stock answers. And on the matter of the man who took the save that some say rightfully belonged to Pia, she was confident the judges made the right move.

"Casey deserved that save" said Pia. "It wasn't his time to go, and he's such a incredible musician and singer." Asked if the judges confided in her about possibly using their one save too early, the trio told her they "wished they could have done something," but whether or not they regret the move, remains a mystery.

And what of her bottom-three companions, in particular Stefano Langone, whom most thought was a sure shot to go home last night?

"Stefano is a very good friend of mine and he's an incredible person," Pia said. "The whole time I was sitting in the bottom three, he kept saying 'You're not going anywhere, it's me.' but he deserves to be in the top 8 right now. Everything happens the way it's supposed to happen."

Many would disagree with her on that one, but on the matter of her song choices throughout the competition, there's been some debate. Did Toscano regret the decision to switch it up, at Randy's request, leading into her elimination?

"It's nobody's fault," she said. "The judges were right, I needed to mix it up. It wasn't even out of my comfort zone because back home, I was doing the up tempo stuff more than the ballads. I needed to get more comfortable on stage. I am a little shy, and I do get stage fright."

And it was clear Pia was shaken and emotional after the news of her elimination came down. "I was really just trying to stay composed. It was really emotional. It's scary being up there, you lose years off your life, it's terrifying...Your mind goes blank and it's was such a blur."

So much so that Pia needed the assistance of a medic to make it off stage.

Now somewhat recovered from the shock, Pia told the press she's looking forward to the tour this summer and the wealth of opportunities that her 'American Idol' experience has brought her. Pia, whose been trying out for 'Idol' since season 5, also encouraged fans to keep watching the show, as many have sworn if off after last night's events.

Though surely, Pia Toscano's endorsement would mean more if she were still on 'American Idol.'

'American Idol' airs Wednesdays and Thursdays at 8PM ET on FOX.

Ibtihal

Does anybody know where to get a black top like the one she wore on her elimination? I want that top so bad!

July 01 2011 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GARY

i love the show but it gets harder each week to vote. they are all so good this year

April 15 2011 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pons2k

Pia will always be one of the top earners in the music scene, rivaling Celine Dione. I will surely buy a ticket when she performs in Las Vegas!

April 15 2011 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrei Nakrul

I think there was a glitch on the voting system. i am sad that she was eliminated as she has a really great voice. read a bio of her : http://www.browsebiography.com/bio-pia_toscano.html

April 13 2011 at 8:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrei Nakrul

i really think there was a glitch with the voting system and i am sad that she got kicked out. read a biography of her :

April 13 2011 at 8:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbie

Glad Pia went home, she was a bore. Not the worst, but not the best either. You can't win if your just staying in the middle. And obviously alot of people felt that way because Nigel Lithgow (however its spelled) said she was never a front runner in the votes, she was like 5th or so most of the time. Why the outrage if the votes tell another story. If all of you that are complaining would have voted, then maybe she'd still be here, right? Vote or don't complain.

April 12 2011 at 12:47 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
tmoxfo

I am 56 years old and love the show and Pia was just so so Scotty has strage pressence and so much talent he is a joy to watch makes you want to smile and casey so good to real good come on folks wake up and vote for the real talent

April 11 2011 at 10:38 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
patthand007

As long as the public continues to do the voting what happened to Pia will happen again. Idol needs to come up with a new way to decide who stays and who goes home. Obviously the public vote is a huge part of the show but with so many young people voting 300 times on looks over talent, this will continue to happen. I think what Idol should do is once the bottom 3 are decided, it should be up to the judges to decide who goes home. This is supposed to be about talent, not the guy who's the cutest or the girl who's the hottest or whatever....What happened last week was so off the mark as far as talent goes it was ridiculous. A lot of 30 and over people have completely lost interest in the show. And it looks like Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez are in that group. If American Idol wants to only cater to the teens and early 20 crowd, then keep things the way they are....but if you want to continue to draw in that 30 and over audience, it's time to make some changes. Think about the judges deciding once the bottom 3 have been picked....I think then the show would really be about talent!

April 11 2011 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
twohartsoneluv

Stephano should have been the one that went home, based totally on ability to sing. He has not performed that well throughout the process. Pia has the same abilities as Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, so jennybn3, are you saying they are not entertainers? George Strait just stands there and sings, is he not an entertainer? She may not be running, jumping, putting on a vegas show, however, she is more than just someone who can belt out high notes. If you want a Madonna, B. Spears, etc,. those that run all over a stage, wear stupid costumes, act like they are better than everyone else attitude, then I guess Pia deserved to go home. She will go far.

April 11 2011 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jennybn3

All these people are so upset over Pia getting voted off and it's a shame because she is not that good,yes she can belt out those high notes but she is not an entertainer, she has no clue how to dance or engage the audience,she always just stands there...looks only get you so far Pia

April 11 2011 at 11:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply