November 22, 2014

'Drew Carey's Improv-a-Ganza' to Premiere Monday on GSN

by Rich Keller, posted Apr 8th 2011 2:00PM
'Drew Carey's Improv-a-Ganza' will feature performers from 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?' 'Drew Carey's Green Screen Show' and 'The Drew Carey Show.'For more than a decade, Drew Carey has been connected to the world of televised improv in one form or another, whether it be hosting the U.S. version of the program 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?', on ABC from 1998 to 2004 or 'Drew Carey's Green Screen Show,' which aired on both the WB and Comedy Central in 2005 and 2006.

Now, after taking a few years off while hosting 'The Price Is Right' and losing nearly 100 pounds, Drew is back on the improv circuit with a new show for cable network GSN titled 'Drew Carey's Improv-a-Ganza.' Question is, what exactly is 'Improv-a-Ganza' all about?

Basically, it's a continuation of his other shows, except in a more glamorous venue. Shot at Las Vegas' MGM Grand in late January and early February, 'Improv-a-Ganza' features a lineup of performers who appeared on both of Drew's earlier programs as well as in his Improv All-Stars live shows and on 'The Drew Carey Show.'

From 'Whose Line' you have Ryan Stiles, Colin Mocherie, Greg Proops, Brad Sherwood, Chip Esten and Jeff Davis. From 'Green Screen' come Jonathan Magnum, Sean Masterson and 'Drew Carey Show' partner Kathy Kinney. The newest Improv performer: Heather Anne Campbell, a former 'MADtv' actress and current 'Saturday Night Live' writer who joined the Improv All-Stars back in 2010.

The blatant omission from this list is current 'Let's Make a Deal' host Wayne Brady, who became a star during his stint on 'Whose Line.' While not a regular on 'Improv-a-Ganza,' it looks like Wayne will be making a guest appearance during the show's run. Also scheduled to drop by one of the first episodes is Charlie Sheen, who ended up performing in one of the games during a January taping.

Besides the fact the performers will be taking improv suggestions from a live audience, very little is known about the show itself or what games will be played. GSN has a webpage featuring behind the scenes comments from Drew and many of the performers. There's also a unofficial 'Improv-a-Ganza' YouTube page featuring show reviews as well as promo clips from some of the performers.

'Drew Carey's Improv-a-Ganza' premieres April 11 at 8 and 11PM. It will then run as part of GSN's daily prime-time strip of game shows.

Tell us: Are you looking forward to this new incarnation of 'Whose Line?'

Watch a clip from 'Drew Carey's Improv-a-Ganza'... with a special shout-out from Drew himself!

helga325

I hope they take that stupid Idiotic "Improv-A-Ganza" show off the Air real soon, cause we don't watch GSN any more when it comes on.

July 04 2011 at 11:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy Pappas

I love the show. It does some things better than whose line. For instance: When they do a game with a song, it generally goes on for a whole segment; and the guys sing great together. I like the bigger cast: the more the merrier. I enjoy the new games, especially when 2 people have to say the same thing at the same time.

My gripe is I never know when a new episode is going to be on. GSN airs several episodes everyday, but it seems like a crap-shoot.

May 22 2011 at 8:24 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
MINDY BEAULIEU

drew i am worry about you. my question is what is mind meld?

May 15 2011 at 9:00 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Fred Ziffel

This show is so stupid. i cannot see how anyone can think these guys are funny. It's so dumb. Must be the same idiots who think Adam Sandler is funny. Whose line is it also sucked.

I really enjoyed the Drew Carey show. How can he stoop to this?

May 03 2011 at 11:42 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Fred Ziffel's comment
helga325

Fred you are so right. This is the most spupid and idiotic show on TV. We turn off the GSN as soon as it comes on.

July 04 2011 at 11:10 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Viviam Barbara Whitt

I absolutely loved "Whose line is it anyways", and am thrilled that Drew started another show similar to it. I would love for him to start "Whose Line is it anyways" again and that show was my favorite! The only thing I am sad to see is that Wayne Brady is not a regular, and to me, that's just not right. Wayne is histerically funny and he, Ryan and Collin should always be on the show. Drew, please get Wayne to be a permanent cast member!!!!! Keep the fun coming!!!!

April 25 2011 at 6:54 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
ODUMMER SUKS

I find it NOT FUNNY and it is nothing more than a new re-run of whose line is it any way . I would rather watch re-runs of the mickey mouse club . Sorry DREW ! Send those has bens and never will be's back under a rock .

April 19 2011 at 11:06 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
bellags@mail.com

I'm watching the show now, and it's freakin' great! These are all talented performers who are obviously having fun and work well with each other. I hope that it comes to Atlantic City for the next round of taping so I can see it live!

April 11 2011 at 11:18 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
bkimm92028

while many of the artists are very talented, time as shown it doesnt work....drew may use his star power to keep it alive but predict will die soon...to make things worse since enjoyed the others from whose line, drews insistence on being involved only makes it worse...i hope the show dies soon unfortunately the alternative is aincent family fued shows so the viewer is screwed wither way

April 09 2011 at 2:16 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bkimm92028's comment
ryard

I assume you mean "time has shown it doesn't work" and my response is...guh? The original ran for ten years and the US version ran for 8. Granted, Green Screen only ran for one season, but it was a pretty different beast.

April 09 2011 at 11:46 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Daysun

Actually, the GSN website is up and running with tons of clips from the show, including a teaser for both Charlie Sheen and Wayne Brady's appearances - check it out here:

April 08 2011 at 2:52 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply