April 25, 2014

Would You Watch a 'Glee' Spin-Off Starring Darren Criss?

by PopEater Staff, posted Apr 9th 2011 11:00AM
Darren Criss'Glee' hottie Darren Criss hit the Oxygen upfronts to promote 'Glee,' the reality show 'The Glee Project'... and talk about his own spin-off? Just maybe, according to Access Hollywood.

"Hey, I'm just happy to be invited to the party," Criss said. "A spin-off, whatever they want, I'm happy where I am."

Criss joined the cast of the hit singing show this season as a member of the Dalton Academy's Warblers, an all-male singing group. His character, Blaine, is gay and serves as a friend and love interest for Kurt, played by Chris Colfer.

Though the speculation of a spin-off is just an idea at this point, Criss said he's in if the project ever takes shape.

"I think Blaine serves a really cool function in the grander scheme of 'Glee,' so I don't think we need to focus particularly -- you know, but if they want to do it, hey, I'm down! Whatever they want," he said.

Though the second season of 'Glee' is winding down -- the finale airs May 24 -- Criss has much to look forward to in the upcoming months. A Warblers-only 'Glee' album drops April 19, and Criss admits he's surprised about the fan reaction.

"It's just a bunch of Warbler songs, so I've been really happy that people have had such a positive response," he said of the album. "I would have never guessed in a million years that that would happen."

Fans will also get to see Criss be himself as Oxygen premieres 'The Glee Project' this summer, a new reality show chronicling the audition process to land a seven-episode arc on the hit FOX show.

"I was so happy that they even asked me in the first place," Criss said of his role as a mentor on the new show. "These kids so talented and they're so ... they make me look like a hack, basically."

'The Glee Project' airs on Oxygen on June 12.

dumbneasy

Jason has a fine answer. I agree. I don't mean to offend; but I think Darren and the warblers are just too sweet for straight tv. And yes, I get that not every member of the warblers is left handed. Chris was/is great as the gay color in the rainbow coalition known at Glee Club. But if you push a straight audience towards more than what their aceptance level is, you'll get backlash and ruin a fine program.

April 12 2011 at 1:40 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dumbneasy's comment
marauders16

Not everyone who watches Glee is straight. The creators are trying to make characters that everyone can relate to. Not every gay kid can relate to Kurt, that's where Blaine comes in. Not to mention, seeing a happy gay couple on tv is really great for some people to see. It shows that whole "It gets better" thing. Besides, there shouldn't be "an acceptance level" for gay characters. If you have a problem with gay people, you shouldn't be watching Glee.

April 14 2011 at 3:15 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Jason

I wouldn't watch a Blaine spin-off, but would love if he got one so I wouldn't have to see him on Glee anymore.

April 12 2011 at 12:53 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
J David Maile

No! Same answer if they tried to make a spin off with Jane Lynch.

April 10 2011 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
paul

i'm already sick of Blaine and the Pips on Glee, so I probably wouldn't.

April 10 2011 at 11:30 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Mrs.Wentz

kurt and blaine spin off hell yes!

April 10 2011 at 1:02 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Luis-Miguel Abreu

Sure, but only if Kurt comes along for the ride!

April 09 2011 at 10:32 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
MikeS

No. But I would watch Glee more without him

April 09 2011 at 5:11 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Pat

Since I don't watch the original, and have no idea who this kid is, I'll have to say NO.

April 09 2011 at 11:55 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Pat's comment
Esther Win-Serota

Then why did you read this and bother to respond?

April 11 2011 at 8:13 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply