April 17, 2014

Helen Mirren on 'Saturday Night Live': How'd She Do?

by Jean Bentley, posted Apr 10th 2011 12:15PM
Helen Mirren, SNL, Saturday Night LiveLast night, 65-year-old Helen Mirren took the Studio 8H stage as one of the oldest 'Saturday Night Live' hosts in history alongside musical guests the Foo Fighters . (Though she is just one year older than last week's host and musical guest, Elton John.)

The Oscar-winning actress proved she was game for anything, with skits about Mary Shelley, strip clubs and taxes. Plus, she let Nasim Pedrad touch her breasts.

How did the Dame stack up against her fellow hosts this season? Check out a few of last night's skits and weigh in after the jump.

MikeS

When there is a real star, the writers step up. Not everything was perfect, but this was the show of the year and Dame Helen played every role wonderfully. The one about her amazing breasts . . . is a classic, mostly because she played along. Even the usual dissing of Faux news was OK. and yes, this is not a recap but a call for comments

April 10 2011 at 11:27 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Piecar

Gotta say...It's ridiculous to post a recap if there isn't ACTUALLY a recap involved.

April 10 2011 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Piecar

April 10 2011 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R.H. Golem

For those who miss a typical TV Squad recap of SNL, here is my approximation:

Hello, I'm a PhD (no really). Last night's SNL was clearly the best of the season - with the highlight being the digital short. Don't really know much about the music guest. Thanks for reading!

April 10 2011 at 6:46 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to R.H. Golem's comment
stateofcircle

Spot on!!! Hahaha, nice job Golem, I couldn't have put it better myself.

April 10 2011 at 8:19 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Jessica Wilson

♥▬♥ OMG Earn $140 Per day FREE WOW!!! ♥▬♥

Let me introduce myself… MY name is Jessica and I had a life changing experience and now I'm finally ready to share it with YOU - I'll be very straight forward.

How would you like to make $80 - $140 every single day

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♫♪*¸.•’´¯)¸.• ‘´¯) ♫
(¯`’•.¸(¯`’•.¸*♫♪*¸.•’´¯)¸.•’ ´¯)♫
♫♪(¯`’•.¸(¯`’•.¸**¸.•’´¯)¸.•’´ ¯)
♫♪ (_ ¸. •’ Earn Online Now!!!!! ’•.¸_)
(_¸.•’(_¸.•’ FREE(_¸.•’´(_¸.•’´ ♫

Just for clicking your mouse ?

This is a work at home position… which requires no prior experience, education or special skills… and by following the three easy steps can make you money beginning today...It works worldwide

Please get back here Http://bit.ly/earnfrezh

Best of luck. (_) (_) (_)

Have a great day (♥◕♥◕♥)

bYe :::::::::::::::::

April 10 2011 at 5:14 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
AndrewT

What a great recap...I love the opinions you expressed. Very thought provoking. I just love how instead of writing a real recap you decided to just let us comment on it and call it a recap!!

Seriously though: what happened? if anything, I used the recaps to see which skits are cut from Hulu and whether it's worth torrenting the episode for the cut skits.

April 10 2011 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rangerleroy

Dame Helen misses being the oldest SNL host by 23 years. Remember Betty White?

April 10 2011 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dennis Danovich

I know this is filed under "Recaps", but is this what the SNL recaps will be from now on?

April 10 2011 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Dennis Danovich's comment
Melanie Egan

RIGHT??? Hahaha.
Nice, uhhh, *recap*. *snort*

April 10 2011 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Melanie Egan's comment
Dennis Danovich

From now on, all recaps will be links to the full eps on Hulu.

April 10 2011 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
rangerleroy

That's certainly possible. Have you noticed there was no "What's On Tonight" for Saturday? I think AOL has done some cutting back since the merger with HuffPost

April 10 2011 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply