April 24, 2014

Katie Couric, Matt Lauer to Reunite on 'Today'

by Jean Bentley, posted Apr 11th 2011 11:30AM
Katie Couric, Matt LauerKatie Couric and Matt Lauer will reunite when the 'CBS Evening News' anchor drops by her old stomping grounds at the 'Today' show to promote her new book on Wednesday morning.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Couric will chat with Lauer about her book, 'The Best Advice I Ever Got: Lessons From Extraordinary Lives,' which comes out tomorrow.

Beyond their mini-reunion Wednesday, Couric and Lauer could form a long-lasting partnership again. The New York Times is reporting that Couric could recruit Lauer for the syndicated talk show she'll almost certainly start up after she leaves her current anchor post when her contract expires in a few months.

A rep for NBC's 'Today' told AOL TV, "There have been a lot of rumors and speculation circulating through the press, and we'd prefer not to comment on any of it. Matt Lauer is under contract with NBC News for a long time."

According to the Times, Jeff Zucker, who paired Couric and Lauer together at 'Today,' is working with Couric on launching the new show (and recruiting Lauer). "I think the three of them think it would be awesome to get together again," a source told the Times. "It still seems more likely NBC will keep Matt. But it's not out of the question."

Last week, it was rumored that Lauer would leave 'Today' once his contract is up in 2012, so the permanent reunion people are hoping for would probably not happen until then.

Couric was inspired to write her book after speaking at the Case Western Reserve University graduation ceremony last May. When news of the book broke in February, she told the Times she wanted to "get 22-year-olds to think about their future possibilities," so she compiled essays and poems from people like Sheryl Crow, 'Modern Family' star Eric Stonestreet, Chelsea Handler, Yankees star Alex Rodriguez and more.

Tell us: Would you like to see Couric and Lauer reunite on a talk show? Or would you prefer Lauer stays on 'Today' and Couric gets her own show?

Janet

I would not care to see them back together again. Katie should never have left the Today show (a job she was well suited for) and Matt would not be a good candidate for a talk show. I think Matt should take Katie's current job asn news anchor when she is done and Katie should go back to the Today show.

April 12 2011 at 11:41 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
marietta311

Yes, I'd love for them to be together again - anywhere. The Today show was never enjoyable after Katie left. She and Matt (and Al) sparkled. Meredith is like a sponge soaking up all the humor off the show. I like Katie's intelligence, humor, and priorities. The others are like placeholders by comparison. CBS evening news was a terrible fit for her. She needs to be able to interact with other involved intelligent people, not zombies.

April 12 2011 at 8:46 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
MoneyMaker

Sure, like I would want my 22 year old to be reading a book by Katie with interviews and poems written by the above list. Come on Katie, is that your inspiration for our youth? You are the last person I would want my kid to look to for inspiration for their future. Our children's futures are being destroyed by this administration you supported, along with your pal Matt and all the other liberal media outlets. This country is kicking Obama and the likes of him out in 2012....we are going to clean house!

April 12 2011 at 12:28 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
cowgrl329

i think katie an matt are a great team. would love to see them together again.

April 11 2011 at 11:25 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Dee DiGioia

Matt please stay where you are You keep us coming there every morning

April 11 2011 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jrberdo2

Sorry but Katie has burned to many bridges politically for me to interest me in watching her..She miss used her new anchor to abuse to many people and I am not even a Republican..

April 11 2011 at 10:28 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
MIMI

Put Katy in a movie w/ Jennifer Anniston, then they'll have 2 to promote that do nothing!

April 11 2011 at 10:20 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
MIMI

Who would watch a talk show w/ Couric? what would she have to say that we haven't heard before, not the right personality. The Today crew carried her. I think Matt should save his money and enjoy his life and retire in 2012 and let Katy shuffle around trying to talk. She's a bad interviewer, interrupts and doesn't listen, and trys to catch them in an A HA moment.

April 11 2011 at 10:18 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
cpw54

Put them together on the Today show again, it was NEVER the same after Katie left !!

April 11 2011 at 10:16 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
kslesniak

They both stink and I cannot stand either one of them. PLEASE do not put them together again..............you have got to be kidding me? Whine, whine whine BOTH OF THEM, YUCK!

April 11 2011 at 9:50 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply