October 22, 2014

CMT Cancels 'Working Class'

by Chris Harnick, posted Apr 12th 2011 10:30AM
Working Class Canceled'Working Class,' CMT's first scripted series, has been canceled.

Although sitcom legend Ed Asner and 'Reba' veteran Melissa Peterman starred on the show, Deadline reports that a second season of the series will not be produced by the country music TV station.

"Unfortunately, CMT will not be pursuing a second season of 'Working Class,'" read a note on the show's official Facebook page. "We're sad to see it go, but you can still catch Melissa Peterman in new episodes of 'The Singing Bee.'"

'Working Class,' about a single mom who moves into an upscale neighborhood to give her kids a better life, premiered to 1.2 million viewers in January, but slipped to an average of half-a-million viewers before airing its finale earlier this month.

There's still hope, though -- Deadline reports that producers are shopping the show around to other networks, such as TV Land, where it could possibly get another season.

Tell us: Do you want to see a second season of 'Working Class'?

KatO

We really liked this show. Of course we love Melissa from Reba's show, Barbara Jean is hilarious! I hope someone else does pick it up, and TvLand is becoming my new favorite network lately... they have a good idea, funny actors, some network could really go with this one!

January 08 2012 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martin K

Loved the show. Watched every episode. I am so sad that it was not picked up. I too have NEVER watched CMT. And now I guess I won't watch it anymore. Melissa Peterman was fantastic in Reba and if this show had been given time to "gel" it too would have been a winner. Working Class we will miss you.

April 28 2011 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mom

show you could let kids watch, too bad they took it off.

April 28 2011 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

Love the show and am very disappointed that it will not return. I think the higher ups at all networks have cut shows that are family friendly. Hopefully some other, smarter network will see the potential here and give Melissa and the crew a chance to show what they can do. I have never watched CMT but tuned in to watch this show. I saw every episode. I now have no reason to watch CMT. Lost a view CMT!

April 23 2011 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
~Babe~

I think Melissa should print out this entire blog and take it to her producers and read our views-and fix what was/is wrong....this show could totally be saved, and be a big hit on another network who cares about it!!!

April 13 2011 at 7:27 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
kjgoss59

Ed Asner is wonderful....tried to watch one show, hated it! Melissa Peterman was over the top! hated her loud, overs-stated character.

April 13 2011 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nonibdt

Yes I want another season of "Working Class"

April 13 2011 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dkay1955

love the show any network will win with this show!!!!!

April 13 2011 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marc

I have never even heard of this show before this. _ I generally avoid CMT as I am a music lover, but I would have made an exception to view this.,, If only I had known about it.

April 13 2011 at 2:42 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
PETE

Season 2 was not as good as season 1 and season 1 was BAD. Without Asner it may have stood a chance.

April 13 2011 at 2:00 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply