July 29, 2014

'The Good Wife' Season 2, Episode 20 Recap

by Chris Harnick, posted Apr 13th 2011 1:30AM
The Good Wife Foreign Affairs Recap['The Good Wife' - 'Foreign Affairs']

Attention Julianna Margulies: You have broken mine and the hearts of millions with the final scene of this episode of 'The Good Wife.'

An incredibly pivotal episode peppered with guest stars galore, 'Foreign Affairs' will not be remembered for having a timely oil drilling court case that involved Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez. No, it will forever be known for the final scene.

Let me back up. This episode of 'The Good Wife' welcomed back America Ferrera and Ana Gasteyer, and added former 'Law & Order' star and politician Fred Dalton Thompson. Plus, Cady Huffman in an all too brief role.

"What's wrong with being tempted?" - Huffman's character, Marina the realtor, asked Alicia. You know you're watching a show with great writing when even the guest star -- who has one scene -- is dropping foreshadowing lines. Some Will and Alicia lovin' heading our way? After the way he watched her interview on CBS, I'm going to assume yes.

The case? One Alicia had been working on for a year, apparently. Alicia and Lockhart/Gardner go from representing their client, then Chavez, then their client, again. You follow?

It was all about oil. No wait, a map. Not really important. However, it did put American Ferrera's Natalie Flores to good use. She worked quite well with the the firm ... too bad she's been shipped off to Washington.

Gasteyer's Judge Patrice Lessner was wasted this episode, in my opinion. While it was great to see her back, in my opinion, such a quirky character and actress could be put to better use.

After some political angling, Alicia was convinced to do a very public interview, defending her husband publicly for the first time. Erica Hill set the stage for a very intriguing future plot for Alicia: a political future. It was the brief prep scene with Alan Cumming's Eli that really started to smell of Emmy bait for Julianna Margulies. After this episode, she deserves it.

Kalinda and Cary's scene in the rain seemed a bit off. Perhaps there was more that hit the cutting room floor? I wanted more. Less cutesy jokes, more Cary pushing Kalinda for her motives.

It's a bit of a shame we didn't get to see more of Wendy Scott Carr. Her character debuted with a great amount of promise, only to fizzle out and then lose the election to Peter.

Yes, Peter is now State's Attorney, again. Yay? Well, it would certainly shake the show up. Having Alicia and Peter on opposing sides could make for a great dynamic, but something tells me they might not be on great terms after that moving final scene. Alicia's world came crashing down with one word, one name: Leela. Cue Alicia's heart-breaking reaction. She conveyed so much emotion so perfectly, it's hard to believe this is actually a TV show and we're not just watching a 'Truman Show' type of program.

I've watched that scene more than I should admit (so I won't). It's the perfect cliffhanger. If this is what 'The Good Wife' is offering now, what can the season finale hold?

Total gasp count: 1. I think you know when.

Some other things:

"Thank you, Rosetta Stone." -- Isabel Sharp. Anybody else think she and Will had quite a large amount of sexual tension?

Courtney Love, I hope you and/or your publicist watched this episode.

"Grandma's drunk." -- Zach
"I think that's just her." -- Alicia

"You should tell her how fantastic she is." -- Kalinda
"She knows." -- Will

"It's like being in a Woody Allen movie." -- Will. Thank you for acknowledging the ridiculous portions of this episode.

When (not if) 'The Good Wife' returns for season 3, I really want to see more Diane character development.

Tell us: How do you think Alicia will deal with this news? Do you think she and Peter are heading for divorce?

'The Good Wife' airs Tuesdays at 10PM ET on CBS.

Follow Chris Harnick on Twitter.

cakeladee52

Can someone tell me what Alicia whispered under her breath in the last moments of the show? I've replayed it several times and cannot figure it out. Thanks.

April 18 2011 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joan

Whatever happens with Peter and Alicia, I think it is time for another slap upside the head and a knee well placed.

April 17 2011 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
arccandice

Great, great episode. When wylie showed up at the election party I remember saying out loud, "oh crap, here it comes". Makes you wonder what would have hapenned if she got that info before she did that interview. I would have liked to see that, does she do the interview to save her cheating husbands career or does she stick it to him and not do it or give a scathing interview. The scene where Kalinda and Will were talking, made me feel like she was pushing Will to Alicia so that maybe Kalinda could get a pass if Alicia cheated on Peter with Will. Great acting, great plot twists.

April 13 2011 at 10:57 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
sandinbox

Dear writer. Truman Capote...really? They should be so lucky. I could care less about America or whomever else you mentioned so lovely as if we know who they are....The two best characters are Kalinda and Carey. They're the ones who should be in love...only really interesting and mysterious characters on the show.

April 13 2011 at 8:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christine

Hey Chris- awesome job again on your analysis of The Good Wife. I find most episodes are either good or great. Last night's was great. I found myself crying the last 30 seconds (no surprise). And I was also sad to see Natalie (America) go. But, hopefully not forever. She fit in so perfectly with the rest of the cast.

The only part that seemed weird was the Chavez stuff. I kept thinking "enough already". A little too much. But the rest of the episode- right on target. That house WAS beautiful- but over 2 million dollars? I could really feel Alicia's frustration of trying to juggle work & her personal life. I'm in awe of how she keeps things together sometimes.

I thought that Peter was going to win, because it opens up so many new story lines. I don't know what is going to happen with Peter & Alicia. The funny thing is, with this show, I don't try to figure them out. I just enjoy the ride. There are so many twists & turns. And many times writers try to trick viewers. You can't look into details too closely.

But, I do know what I want to see more of- and I think it's coming :) Just love this show so much. It's like real life- complicated & not so black or white. We all struggle between right/wrong, family/work, love/responsibility.

Btw- i just watched a video of Alan (Eli) on CBS (via Facebook) of him on the set filming the hotel scenes from last night's show. He mentioned (towards the end) kissing America. Do you know if anything was cut from their scenes? Thanks!

April 13 2011 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Christine's comment
chrisharnick

Hm, I hadn't heard of the kiss! And as always, thanks for sharing such detailed thoughts on the episode. I really appreciate it!

April 14 2011 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
snb

Alicia will accept Michael J Fox offer of employment and team up with Will in the bedroom! Peter is a "D" bag with a cap D and Kalinda is in a no win situation. Oh let's hear it for serialized TV

April 13 2011 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to snb's comment
chrisharnick

Don't forget, Alicia also got a job offer from Viola, Diane's former friend.

April 14 2011 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hdburton3rd

Great episode!! Agreed that this episode's pivotal scenes were carried by Julianna Margulies. Definite Emmy stuff. I'm wondering if the writers might play it where Alicia keeps this in her hip pocket and DOESN'T tell Kalinda. That would make for some interesting scenes in upcoming episodes. Now that Peter's won, it really doesnt matter that she tell Peter. He got the job and she gets a second chance at what she put off in the season 1 finale. I think you might get the Diane character development in season 3. Lets not forget, she had a stake in Peter winning too. Last week's episode where Eli basically told her that if Peter won, she would get a judge seat. I thought Alicia would make that connection when Diane told her to take the afternoon off. I tend to like the scenes between Kerry and Kalinda. Loved how they never mentioned Fred Dalton Thompson's character's name until the last 5 minutes. Thought that was a nice job by the writers to allude to his career throughout. All and all, another great episode of The Good Wife.

April 13 2011 at 11:59 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Jana

I agree, Julianna was fantastic in those final moments. We all felt her heart breaking! I also hope she forgives Kalinda and they can get around this. It's not like she did it to stick it to her, it was a one night stand, but it will surely then make Alicia wonder how many others were just like it???? I'm wondering if she'll go to another firm to get away from Kalinda? The firm surely can't fire Kalinda, she is the queen of dirt finder and saves every episodic court case with last minute dirt on the subject to help win the case. They can do without Alicia, another lawyer, but not without what Kalinda can find out about clients. I can't wait for next week. This show was so good, and moved so fast it was over in an instant! Excellent show.

April 13 2011 at 11:18 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Joan

What a great hour last night. Good to see The Cobra again. Good humor with Chavez and the Courtney Love reference .
The saddest of all is when Alicia learns of the Kalinda/Leila/Peter liason. Her heart was broken. I hope she forgives Kalinda in time. It did happen before she knew her. Peter can stay on Broadway. I do hope she divorces him before she gets stuck with staying with him because of The Senate run.

April 13 2011 at 10:49 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply