October 22, 2014

ABC Cancels 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live'

by Chris Harnick, posted Apr 14th 2011 2:25PM
All My Children, One Life to LiveABC has pulled the plug on its long-running soaps 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live.'

According to the network, the final episode of 'All My Children' will air this September, with 'One Life to Live''s finale in January 2012. ABC will replace the soaps with two new shows, 'The Chew' and 'The Revolution.'

"'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' are iconic pieces of television that have made an indelible mark on our culture's history," Brian Frons, president of daytime at Disney ABC / Television Group, said in a statement. "Each of the shows has touched millions and millions of viewers and informed the social consciousness. It has been a privilege to work with the extraordinary teams who brought the residents of Pine Valley and Llanview to life each day, and we thank the cast, crew, producers and most especially the fans for their commitment to the shows through their history."

AOL TV first reported the 'All My Children' cancellation rumors in March. In the last month 'AMC' has delivered record lows in Nielsen ratings. In March, Deadline reported the soap came in last in the key demographic of women 18–49. It was seen by 463,000 viewers in that demo, down 34 percent compared to last year. The series also came in last in total viewers, grabbing 2.32 million. 'One Life to Live' had 2.36 million during the week of March 7.

Susan Lucci, who has starred on 'AMC' since it debuted in 1970, recently embarked on an ambitious press tour to promote her memoir, downplaying cancellation rumors. She told our sister site PopEater that the rumors were not coming from ABC. "I just have been very enthusiastically told how much they love my storyline that I just begun working on, and I just was given my schedule into next year," she said.

Following the cancellation, Lucci released this statement to E! Online: "It's been a fantastic journey. I've loved playing Erica Kane and working with [series creator] Agnes Nixon and all the incredible people involved with 'All My Children.' I'm looking forward to all kinds of new and exciting opportunities."

ABC is following the lead of CBS replacing long-running soaps with lifestyle shows. CBS replaced 'As the World Turns' with 'The Talk' this season, and 'Guiding Light,' previously the longest-running drama in TV history, with 'Let's Make a Deal' in 2009.

'General Hospital' will not be affected by ABC's daytime changes. 'GH' will be one of four soaps left on the air, along with CBS's 'The Young and the Restless' and 'The Bold and the Beautiful,' and NBC's 'Days of Our Lives.'

"We are taking this bold step to expand our business because viewers are looking for different types of programming these days," Fons said. "While we are excited about our new shows and the shift in our business, I can't help but recognize how bittersweet the change is."

Since its debut 41 years ago, 'All My Children' has launched such stars as Sarah Michelle Gellar and Amanda Seyfried. Recent Oscar-winner Melissa Leo also had a brief stint on the soap. 'AMC' has most famously been home to Susan Lucci as Erica Kane, one of the most familiar faces in TV history. Lucci is the only original cast member still on the series.

Viewers will also remember Kelly Ripa as Hayley long before she became the co-host of 'Live! With Regis and Kelly.'

'One Life to Live' debuted as a half-hour show in 1968 before transforming into a full-fledged hour-long soap 10 years later. The show broadcast its 10,000th episode in 2007.

Erica Slezak, who plays Viki Lord Banks on the series, is the longest-running cast member, having begun in 1971. Tommy Lee Jones, Dixie Carter, Judith Light, Marcia Cross and Ryan Phillippe are a few of the many famous faces who got their start on the series.

Both shows were created by Agnes Nixon and take place in fictional towns modeled after Philadelphia suburbs.

"More than 40 years ago, Agnes Nixon created both the worlds of 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live,' worlds that the rest of us have been privileged to live in," Frons said. "Her shows led the way forward, breaking a lot of rules along the way to defy expectations about what soaps can do and the issues they can cover. I am honored to have worked with her."

As for the new shows, Fons said, "[Audiences] are telling us there is room for informative, authentic and fun shows that are relatable, offer a wide variety of opinions and focus on 'real life' takeaways. A perfect example of this is 'The View,' and that factored into our decision. 'The Chew' and 'The Revolution' are in the same vein and will be great additions to the lineup, with 'The View' serving as an ideal foundation from which to launch these programs. They will also provide enormous opportunity for the creation of ancillary businesses and growth."

Check out video of Susan Lucci's recent appearances below.

Tell us: Is this the end of soaps?

Follow Chris Harnick on Twitter.

wendy

I hate that my favorit show is ending I come home from work to go on my DVR and watch what happends everyday i never miss a show. I grew up watching this show since i was a child. I have watched ONE LIFE TO LIVE FOR OVER 20 years now and I am only 29 years old. I cried when I found out this is not a good thing. Why did you have to stop this show. This is the worse news ever.

January 12 2012 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Rich

very pissed i don"T know what u people are thinking taking oltl and all my children off the air. i"m a very loal watcher of both and have been watching for years and now u want to put shitty stuff in thier place. just like others say theres enough talk and cooking shows already on. if these soaps get taken off, i think all the others on nbc need to be taken off. i"m not by myself when i say that after friday, this network abc will not be watched on my tv. finally i want to know if theres anybody out there that would know how us viewers could get a patition up and get this other stuff off and our soaps back? thursday january 12

January 12 2012 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lightsttn1

Why did ABC need to remove a long running OLTL (One Life to Live)? I have watched it on and off for many years. Just got new Cable service with a DVR. Before DVR I missed many episodes. Now with DVR, I started to not miss any, as I saved them to DVR when they aired. Then played them during hours I have available. Hay ABC!!! Bring back OLTL. I don't care much for talk shows. Some yes, but most No. OLTL was here for many years, and if you canceled OLTL. I don't think it'll be much longer that GH (General Hospital) will be next. I have been watching GH since when it was still being shown in black and white. Do you listen to your viewers, or not? I have seen many programs come, and go, but the better ones you take away to replace with programs that disappear almost as fast as they are added, and none that will last as long as OLTL, or GH. It's a sad day of affairs when you start taking away that which was still good for all those who new about them. GH and OLTL were a good pair, and without one, the other is soon to go. I hope you will bring back OLTL. Thank You.

January 09 2012 at 2:50 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Kim Snowden

I grew up with these soaps and now there gone what's going to be next my General Hospital. I cried like a baby when All my Children went off the air I hate to see the end of my One Life To Live. Please I wish the soap Channel would have picked it up. I wouls watch these during the and then again at night on the Soap Channel that's how moch I loved the show's. Does anyone out there feel the same?

January 08 2012 at 3:25 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
OLTL fan

One life to live I on a roll getting better and better and y'all just want to cancel it when there's so many other dumb ahit y'all can cancel makes me angry what this tv buisnesa is coming to all u see on tv is reality shows reruns of the same stuff talk shows n fat ppl shows cooking shows like really bullahit very few good thing on tv and soaps especially OLTL is the best!!! Disappointed abc isn't worth a ****

December 15 2011 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
OLTL fan

Omg one life to live us the best soap y'all have on. And y'all can't compare regular stupid talk shows and reality bullshit to the only few soaps we have to watch. We have enough of the same bullshit on tv it ridiculous what y'all do and what shows y'all decide to cut pathetic ugh

December 15 2011 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
OLTL fan

December 15 2011 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gailsgate

They where my family they saved me from being lonley and sad to be old.... Some people need companionship.
I am so fedup with day time tv. Most of the shows are on three times on different chanels and they tell us we have hundreds of chanels. What type of clientel are they carering to. DONT WE HAVE A VOICE. Guess I watch another chanel. Its getting as bad as the white house....

December 13 2011 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynn

What's wrong with ABC? Why aren't they listening to their followers?? I want to join in on saying,
Do Not Cancel One Life to Live, I love it & have watched it for yrs. I will not watch any of the replacements!!

December 10 2011 at 3:58 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
the902inc

The CHEW is a waste of time---& The Revolution looks boring & stupid.......Why that stupid ABC cancelled 2 great shows like ONE LIFE & AMC ---I will never know--& the thing that is so STUPID is there are so many boring cooking shows & weight loss shows on already!

November 08 2011 at 7:04 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply