April 16, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Jon Stewart Demands Ricky Gervais 'Apologize' For Being Too Funny at Golden Globes (VIDEO)

by Jeremy Taylor, posted Apr 15th 2011 8:20AM
Ricky Gervais Talks Globes on 'Daily Show'Back in January, Ricky Gervais skewered bold-faced names more than they are accustomed to being skewered during his now-notorious stint as host of the 68th Golden Globe Awards.

When Gervais stopped by 'The Daily Show' (weekdays, 11PM ET on Comedy Central), Jon Stewart demanded he apologize for one aspect of his Golden Globe performance.

"Here's what you have to apologize about for the Golden Globes," Stewart told Gervais. "Making people like me -- who've also hosted these events -- feel inadequate by being that funny ... It hurt my self-esteem, and I think you do owe me an apology."

Gervais used Stewart's praise to revisit the controversy over his biting jokes. "This is what I think I should apologize for about the Golden Globes: F--- all."

"They weren't injured soldiers," Gervais added, disdain evident in the funnyman's voice. "They were people who pretend to be someone else all day."

Watch the full interview here:

dazerwb

What the hell are all you idiots talking about?

April 15 2011 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mlionhart2

Sure, Randy Gervais was too funny for the Golden Glodes. And James Franco and Anne Hathaway were too funny for the Oscars.

April 15 2011 at 7:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Millie

RICKY was just plain rude and will never be back there again!!

April 15 2011 at 7:07 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
nikkivo

Good for Jon Stewart! A lot, if not most, of already-respected celebrities have been fearful of supporting Gervais' performance lest they offend any of the A-listers who may have been satirized.
Truthfully, I'm not a huge fan of mean humor. I really like Family Guy, for instance, but the arbitrarily mean attacks on random celebrities (e.g., Minnie Driver's "big" face) are not the elements that make me laugh. When Kathy Griffin rails about celebrities who knowingly subject themselves to ridicule (like those who act outrageously on their own reality shows) it's much more palatable than her mocking celebrities who don't seem to be asking for it. Nonetheless, in defense of McFarlane, Griffin, Gervais, and other pundits, when any adult allows him or herself to be commoditized for public consumption, then he or she becomes acceptable game for public comment or satire. And ANYbody who gets millions of dollars for a film, TV show, commercial endorsement, etc., is a commoditized being. Big-time celebrities are delusional if they think their salaries are for artistic talent; Though there may indeed be immense talent, the kind money they get is tendered wholly for their ability to be marketed and sold repeatedly. SOMEtimes that ability does correlate with talent, but that's not a requirement -- which is why someone like Laurence Olivier -- even in adjusted dollars -- is out-performed by someone like, say, Steven Seagall. In fact, that's why Tom Cruise outperforms, for example, Jonas Salk. The only talent that fully equates with salary is the talent to yield profit. And, it only adds insult to intellectual injury when celebrities delusionally demand that their "personal selves" are not part of the commoditization process and that they should not be subjected to humor at their expense. If you can't be packaged and sold, you're not a star. Period. Take the money...run...and STOP b%$ching!
So, once again, YAY! for Jon Stewart for parsing out what's right....and BOO!! to my former favorite -- Robert Downey, Jr. -- for his smarmy sanctimony on the issue.

April 15 2011 at 4:54 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to nikkivo's comment
orlguyhc

Agreed, I like Robert Downey Jr. as an actor...but his personal issues were public long before Gervais ever crossed the blue waters! Stars are famous not only for their talent but their ability to keep us invested. That works both ways; as good investment and bad investment. If Mel Gibson goes into a rant and it becomes public because of what he is doing wrong, then it becomes fodder for the comic to use to entertain. Cry your way to the bank!

April 15 2011 at 5:33 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Annika

Love it!

April 15 2011 at 4:53 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Bennett

The problem with Stewart, Gervais, Alec Baldwin, Sean Penn etc. is that everything out of their mouth is an attempt to further a far left social/political agenda. I'm cool if a persons views and opinions come out in normal discourse but I don't want it rammed down my throat. THEY DON"T RESPECT ME if they are endlessly telling me I suk because I don't believe the same way they believe. So, Marsha, that's exactly what happens ... people just tune them out. Whoopi, Ellen and a multitude of other "entertainment" people don't feel the need to rant endlessly about a political agenda and that's reason they are far more popular with "regular" people than those fools. Stewart et. al. are playing to a niche and it's more about their egos than anything else i.e. I'm better than you because I love windmills and it's okay for me to jet around in a private jet but you suk for not driving a hybrid car. Hypocrisy at it's worst and they are getting rich off of the kool-aid sippers.

April 15 2011 at 4:30 PM Report abuse -7 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Bennett's comment
Richard

Intelligent people are usually progressive leftists. Inerudite people are usually rightist, neocons who believe in going backward. This would explain why college professors are usually Democrats and the guys on the loading dock who live in the trailers down by the river are not.

April 15 2011 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David S.

Where do you get this? Apparently everyone "tunes them out" except you....LMAO.....

April 15 2011 at 6:41 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Trouble

I don't share Jon Stewart's applause for Ricky. I find him tasteless, with an overexaggerated sense of self-importance, and he's not that funny. I do not get a kick from him disrespecting other people.

April 15 2011 at 4:23 PM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
MARSHA

Ricky Gervais has a very right on sense of humor. Anyone that doesn't like him shouldn't watch him! I for one will be watching him! Love his down to earth unexepected shock type wit and his very funny humor. Its right on track and very funny! That was funny to watch him on Jon Stewart! I cant wait for the show they are chatting about ! I will be watching!

April 15 2011 at 3:15 PM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply
VectorVictor99

Ricky has nothing to apologize for--if anything, the Golden Globes should apologize for blowing the supposed negative reception of Ricky's hosting job out of proportion.

April 15 2011 at 9:12 AM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to VectorVictor99's comment
orlguyhc

What's funny is the Producers of the Golden Globes knew full well how Gervais would perform...they wanted the ratings!

April 15 2011 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply