November 28, 2014

Hoover Protests Soap Cancellations, Pulls Ads From ABC

by Chris Harnick, posted Apr 19th 2011 10:26AM
All My Children, One Life To LiveSoap fans, Hoover -- yes, the vacuum manufacturer -- feels your pain and wants you to rally! The company has pulled its ads from ABC following the cancellation of 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live.'

The company took to its Facebook page to address soap fans and announce its campaign to save the canceled soap operas. Brian Kirkendall, vice president of marketing at Hoover, is urging fans to send them emails (here). Kirkendall said the company promises to "get every, single last one of them to ABC."

An anonymous ABC executive spoke to TV Guide Magazine and said Hoover's boycott is "counterintuitive"

"Usually advertisers stop advertising when they want to cancel a show, not the other way around," the executive said. "We've said that the cancellation of 'AMC' and 'OLTL' was about money and ratings, so [the Hoover boycott] is just counterintuitive. You don't save something by taking money away."

The post on Hoover's Facebook page, which has more than 10,500 fans, has more than 200 comments.

Hoover's advertisements on ABC will stop on Fri., April 22. Read Kirkendall's full note below.

To all the loyal ABC soap fans,

I want you to know from me personally that we hear you loud and clear. My wife and mother are both passionate viewers of All My Children and One Life to Live, as are many of my colleagues here at Hoover. We were and are as disappointed with this news as you are.

In fact, we will discontinue our advertising with ABC this Friday, 4/22. We're making every attempt to pull our spots from these programs sooner.

Because we feel that's not enough, we also want to help get your voice heard with ABC. So, we've set up a special email address, SaveTheSoaps@Hoover.com, to help pull together the mass emotional outpouring of support for our beloved ABC soaps and get it to our contacts at ABC. Please, send your emails to us at SaveTheSoaps@Hoover.com, and we'll get every, single last one of them to ABC.

We're 150% committed to doing what matters most to you – so if there's anything else we can do to help or you have any ideas, please email this address, and we will respond to you personally.

Thank you for standing up for what matters to you! We need more of that in this world.

Brian Kirkendall
Vice President of Marketing, Hoover

Check out video of 'All My Children' star Susan Lucci's recent media appearances.

Tell us: Do you think this will help save 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live'?

Follow Chris Harnick on Twitter.

dstimpy

I will NEVER watch ABC daytime again. Disney should get rid of Brian Fronz not the soaps, those are a staple of daytime TV. He thinks people don't watch them, he is crazy, we use the DVD and watch at night, what are you thinking !!

We won't be watching those new (same old crap) shows, don't need another cooking or talk show. Then replacing Oprah with Dr. Oz - crap again !!! You should get rid of the View and Regis too those are OLD and worn out shows - lets see maybe you could replace them with a soap !!

Looks like CBS will be getting lots more viewers - I never, ever watched Y&R, but looks like I will be in September.

Goodbye ABC !

June 04 2011 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patricia Evely

What are the loyal, long time fans to do when these soaps are canceled? There are many, many older women who are confined to their rooms, or in a nursing home because of medical reasons, that are are unable to walk around and visit anyone they wish, and therefore look forward to an afternoon of good, interesting entertainment. They are used to, and have become "attached " to all the actors, and they regard them as a part of their lives.t

May 07 2011 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fireflyj27

Well i wont be watching abc at that time. going to watch cbs from now on.

April 20 2011 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patches

Thanks Hoover. I have been a AMC fan for 35 years. Frons from ABC hasn't taken into acount how many people record the program to view at their own time. There is a huge fan base that will not watch a food channel.

April 19 2011 at 9:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lzpunkin916

These people are part of my family. I've watched "All My Children" since day one !!!!! I can't say I'm happy with all the story lines right now, but I don't want to lose this show.

April 19 2011 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patty

yes i agree also thank you hoover for doing this. clearly the abc peeps have lost there minds. see what they do not understand is that we are in hard time's right now. people are out of work gas prices are through the roof. sure the soap stars can find work if they need to but it is the peolpe behind the secens. the camera men the make up peeps, the lighting crew. it's the little peeps that suffer. the people at abc do not care about them. so i hope they do not go through with this. but hey im one of the little peeps they will not listen to me as far as they are concerned they have already made there minds up.

April 19 2011 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SusanR

Thanks to Hoover! These shows have great followings and I can't believe they're taking them off the air.....Has ABC lost their minds??? Keep These Shows On Channel 8.....It would be a smart move!!!

April 19 2011 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Thank you Hoover!!!! We want our soaps!

April 19 2011 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carolyn

Counterintuitive or not. Hoover is pulling all advertising from ABC. So the loss of revenue will affect all shows...not just AMC and OLTL. Do not let the anonymous ABC executive BS you. It will have an affect on them. Now we need everyone else advertising on ABC to pull their ads immediately as well. If AMC and OLTL are being cancelled then ABC might as well go too. Are you listening advertisers??? Pull your ads from ABC.

April 19 2011 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sntsmith

THANK YOU Hover. ABC needs to wake up and fire the person who looks at demographics! NOT EVERYONE has time to sit at home and watch soaps MOST OF US RECORD THEM to watch when we have a moment to relax and ESCAPE if I want to know about food, I go to the food channel.
When the last episode airs, I will DELETE ABC from my channel selection!

April 19 2011 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply