November 26, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Cooking with Live Insects on 'Top Chef Masters' (VIDEO)

by Aimee Deeken, posted Apr 21st 2011 4:35AM
Bugs on 'Top Chef Masters'Warning: Don't watch this while you're eating.

On 'Top Chef Masters' (Wed., 10PM ET on BRAVO), the Quickfire challenge required contestants to create gourmet dishes with crickets, scorpions, nightcrawlers, hornworms and other (not so) delectable bugs.

"I'm grossed out," admitted George Mendes. "I'm fully aware that these insects have a lot of nutrients, vitamins. But if there's a bug that turns up in my apartment, I kill it." He went on to make coconut milk and hornworm soup. "Bleh."

Alex Stratta had a different take: "These are bugs that have been eaten in cultures as long as we've been eating chicken."

Gregginsarasota

And these guys are supposed to be "gourmet chefs"??? Looks more like adults behaving badly to me.
Think I'll go watch some cartoons instead.

April 21 2011 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
debster123

that was the biggest turnoff ever.. I watch this program all the time.. it was disgusting

April 21 2011 at 1:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ultravl

OMG...it seems TCMasters has run out of ideas!!!!! As good looking as Curtis Stone is...I'm getting pretty bored with this...same old thing over and over....JMO

April 21 2011 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
donna& melissa

ok thats just wrong

April 21 2011 at 8:57 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Angela

I saw it, and all I can say is "Blech!" Oh, and I thought Curtis Stone was a chef, but now I think he's an actor. I mean, he ate a worm or something and you could tell it took a great deal of acting to keep it down and keep his pained expression in check. Hell, he couldn't even look at the camera. But I wonder about the chef who is a Hindu. I understand his conviction to not take another life, but if they get fresh shellfish or bugs or whatever that's still alive, how long can he get away without cooking an item because of his religion?

April 21 2011 at 8:50 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply