November 21, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Jacob Lusk Sings Luther Vandross to Honor His Father on 'American Idol' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 21st 2011 4:14AM
Jacob Lusk, 'American Idol'In honoring his father through his song selection this week on 'American Idol' (Wed., 8PM ET on FOX), Jacob Lusk honored Luther Vandross as well. Wednesday night was Vandross' birthday, and so it was with a dual sense of purpose that Lusk took on 'Dance with My Father.'

If you're going to have a technical problem with a song, it's best to have that at the beginning, as Lusk did. He did stop singing momentarily, but picked it right back up as he pulled out his earpiece, and ultimately turned in an emotional and powerful performance.

"It's hard to perform when a song means that much to you," Jennifer Lopez said. "That's one of the tricks to being a performer. But emotionally, it was a beautiful performance."

"You pulled it through, and you're daddy was up there listening to you," Steven Tyler said. "And it was a beautiful thing."

Do you think Jacob did both Luther and his father proud?

Joni Sweet

Scotty is a grrreat country singer. So what that is what he does with the mike. His voice still goes in it and people still hear how amazing he is. He is significant. He don't have to be like every other country singer. why cant someone be different. More power to him. Jacob has the best range he just need to control himself sometimes. James is good. but he yells sometimes when he is jumping around. His performance is the s**t and Lauren is just amazing. But just to prove you wrong at this point I think Scotty will be the winner. Good luck to all those singers. They all deserve to be there. And I am sorry for Pia. She should have been my winner.

April 22 2011 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
twbut

Jacob ---- go bye bye !
Casey --- go bye bye !
Me ? ----- I will be happy !

April 21 2011 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DAVID SHANNON

I was sort of supporting Jacob until I heard that he got busted riding an LA train without paying. I live in LA. I've ridden the train. It's $1.25 one way. I've seen people get busted for not having their tickets that showed they paid. They are major lowlifes. A $1.25!!!! Give me a break.

April 21 2011 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to DAVID SHANNON's comment
McDee

Heard is the ideal word; if you don't know it something is true, you shouldn't repeat it or judge someone on it. It would take more than $1.25 to change my mind about someone. You dont' know his situation.

April 22 2011 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joni Sweet

yes 1.25 is not a big deal. maybe his life before there wasn't as good as yours. people make mistakes and do things wrong. what makes us better people is to grow from our mistakes and not do it again. but that is not a reason not to support a great singer. Jacob has great tallent he just needs to learn to control it a little bit better sometimes. make us beg for it like he did already once.

April 22 2011 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hi RON

I thought Jacob was a little too much into the song...to play the audience. I thought it was way way out of line for Steven Tyler to do his swearing on television!!!! Up to that point, I liked Steven!!

April 21 2011 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DEBBIE

Lynn, I agree.I do not like Casey at all-he is more dramatic than a woman. I don't like all the screaming either Dolly, get back to singing words.Scotti did better with the mic this week, it has becomeannoying-but I do like him a lot.

April 21 2011 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cgross37

OOPS!! Somebody forgot to put Clay in the poll. Simon said he was "the best thing that ever happened to American Idol" in his book. It was true then and it's STILL TRUE!! He's unbelievably talented, and boosts their ratings every time they have him as a guest entertainer. Lots of people would start watching again too. RATINGS GUYS!!!

April 21 2011 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DEBBIE

Jacob slurred several lines in the song-I thought it was horrible.

April 21 2011 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynn

Maybe it's just me but I don't like Casey at all. Don't know why the judges go nuts over him. He should go. They never should have given him the Save.

April 21 2011 at 1:39 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lynn's comment
Joni Sweet

Casey is part of old times. he is talented in a bunch of different ways. Not just by singing. Americas problem is they dont understand the value of a slow song with an instrument or the value of emotion when they sing. he is beyond just a singer he is an artist just like randy said. and only some can appreciate it.

April 22 2011 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dolly0323

I don't like the screaming and hollowering they do when they sing. I Like good music.

April 21 2011 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melanie

Ummm...Scotty sucks major ass, people..I don't know how ANYONE can say he's got a "great voice". He twangs every word...no one sings like that in country music right now--that is a big star. Jacob sucks too. He over screams lyrics when it's not necessary. James will win it, but I wouldn't buy the cd because he has the ability to scream and sound ok and I can't see playing a cd like that all the time. I think a good one to win it could be Lauren. She would fit into country well. But, Scotty needs to go..like yesterday.

April 21 2011 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Melanie's comment
Hi

Most today aren't really country singers, all wanna b's......... They really belong in pop. Scotty's music is great, his voice will make the most money out of all who have been on American Idol.

April 21 2011 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply