December 20, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

David Cook Performs, His Mom Gets Close to Steven Tyler on 'American Idol' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 22nd 2011 12:28AM
David Cook, 'American Idol'In anticipation of his upcoming album, seventh season winner David Cook performed his new single, 'The Last Goodbye,' on the 'American Idol' (Thu., 8PM ET on FOX) results show. But his mother may have been even more excited to be returning to the stage that made him famous.

After his performance, Cook revealed to Ryan Seacrest that when she found out about him being on the show, she said, "I just want to meet Steven Tyler." So Seacrest made it happen.

"I'm watching you, man." Cook said as his mother made her way to the dais for two very warm and close hugs from Tyler.

"We're gonna have to have a conversation when the cameras go off," Cook said sternly. Making a spectacle like that on national television. Honestly! Actually, the whole encounter was very cute, and Cook was clearly having fun in the situation.

What did you think of Cook's return to the 'Idol' stage?

Brindie Olsen

I agree with pane23b & Jack about the hair & performance. Cook's singing on the AI exit song is better.

April 23 2011 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pane23b

Jack is that hair transplant? No wonder, his hair looked fuller. Does it takes 2.5 years to do the transplant? His debute song of his sophomore album is not what I expected from him, especially when he let people wait so long for that. But, better than nothing. To be honest, his voice is not that great in this song. This not David Cook I knew. During his first performance for his debute song on AI, his voice was not so good. Watch again and listen carefully, when he reached the high note almost at the end of the song his voice was kind of broken. Sorry, that's my opinion.

April 23 2011 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pane23b

Jack, is that hair transplant? Does it take almost 3 years to do that? No wonder I was surprised to see his hair on the picture it looked fuller and darker than his hair during AI. About the song, I was kind of disappointed. To be honest I think he lost his grib. His performance was not that great, please listen carefully, when he reach the high tone almost at the end his voice was kind of broken. His debute song of his first album "Light On" is better, his voice was special David Cook. This debute song is so so to me. Sorry just my opinion.

April 23 2011 at 9:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janet

I loved seeing David and his band on my TV again! I already like the song more now that I've heard it live. David loves that cheesy TV show that made him famous, and it's always great to see him return and give the Idol audience a classy performance with a little comedy on the side (plus he always brings out the best in Ryan).

April 22 2011 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lavpelliccione

Hey Jack, check your sour grapes at the door; no one is interested. We are being honest. We really enjoyed him and the song. Get over it.

April 22 2011 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

Come on, people, be honest. The song was just meh, and his performance was shaky. The only improvement is the hair transplant surgery he got. Don't lose that hair. They are expensive.

April 22 2011 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suzanne

Loved it. Great performance and David Cook is such a class act! I think he was a little nervous at the beginning and then he got over it. He is so personable and I loved the whole thing with his mom and ST. Adorable! Please go to www.davidcookofficial.com and pre-order his upcoming album "This Loud Morning" to be released on 06/28. If you order on his website you get some special treats. You can also pre-order on Amazon and iTunes. Plus, don't forget to get his two newest singles "The Last Goodbye" and his cover of "Don't You Forget About Me" which is AI's boot song this year. It is a great cover!

April 22 2011 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
earthlovenews

I'm up in the middle of the night because mom fell and emergency came to pick her up. She's fine but I can't fall back to sleep so here I am.

I love Steven Tyler. I'm not a groopie, don't really l ike hard rock, but quite possibly, imho, the song he did with Aerosmith, whose name escapes me this wee morning, Miss You Baby or some such thing. lol You can tell I'm half asleep.. at any rate, is the most beautiful song I've ever heard. Love it. Love that he sings it with such conviction and he is a great father.

Got to love him.

April 22 2011 at 6:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
follias

I was thrilled by David Cook's performance and loved his new song. It keeps replaying in my head. He's such a class act. The interaction with his Mom and ST was cute too.

April 22 2011 at 1:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply