September 16, 2014

Oprah: I Can't Save 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' (VIDEO)

by Chris Harnick, posted Apr 22nd 2011 5:00PM
Oprah WinfreySorry 'All MY Children' and 'One Life to Live' fans, Oprah Winfrey cannot save your soaps.

Since ABC canceled the long-running soap operas, fans have been issuing pleas for Winfrey to bring the shows to OWN. She's heard the cries, but can't be do anything about it.

The exiting queen of daytime took to YouTube to issue her statement.

"I felt this way when 'Mary Tyler Moore' went off the air, I must say" Winfrey said, relating to the disappointed fans.

In the end, Oprah said, it's about viewers. "There just are not enough people who are at home in the daytime to watch them, and because of that they're going off the air," she said.

Watch the full video after the jump.

prdiablo4u

Once again the almighty dollar runs the way of the world. I get that. However, what value can be placed on the loyalty, feelings and unity that soaps inspire in millions of viewers? The new shows will indeed be more profitable but I can guarantee they will not have the same impact in our lives that the soaps have had. Corny as it might sound, generations of people bond over the real-life issues that the soaps portray. They can (and have) educated people on bigotry, sexism, domestic violence, mental disorders etc . The soaps gently enlighten without preaching on all those issues and many more. While I respect Oprah's decision, it is ultimately a silly move since her Network so badly needs the millions of eyeballs the soaps can garner. OPRAH you are correct perhaps all good things come to an end and MY following you and your endeavors is one of them. I wondered how I would get by without the inspiration that you imparted on your show but guess what? With time even you have become irrevelavent and time does indeed march on.

December 14 2011 at 12:44 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Julie Agard

I have been a fan of All My Children and One Life to Live for many years. When I have to be away from home I record them to view that evening. They are missing the mark by cancelling those show. We do not need more food shows especially with our society being overweight. Food will only add pounds to an already pudgy world. I, for one, will not be watching ABC after the soaps are gone. My loyalties will be transferred to another network and I am not alone in this.

May 13 2011 at 9:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patty

im sorry oprah i like you but dang it you do not speak for me or for anybody else for that matter. how do you know if people are home or not during the day. how do you know what we watch or don't watch. i have watch these soaps for a long time i grew up with these. the shows that are supopose to replace amc, one life are dumb they will not last. see what they should have done is leave amc, one life on and put the two new show's in oprah's place because she is leaving in a few week's so what are you going to put in her time slot they did not think about that did they.

April 27 2011 at 12:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
writebraind

If there aren't enough people at home during the daytime to watch the soaps, does that mean that OWN won't be airing any programming during the daytime? Or is this just sad hypocrisy? How much is too much, Oprah? This sound bite doesn't read as though you "can't" save them, it says that you "won't" save them. Because with your billions, you "could" do anything. I get that it's a bottom line business decision, but so are loss leaders in the grocery store. The grocers take a profit loss on certain items to get customers into the store to make up the difference when they buy other items. Same thing with programming: get the eyeballs to your network to view the soaps (which may be produced at a profit loss), and those eyeballs may well stick around to view the rest of your "mechandise" (programming). If Oprah doesn't get this basic tenet of the biz, she really shouldn't be throwing away her resources on starting up a new network.

April 26 2011 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mcemail

I understand ...Oprah will be way too busy trying to save the Obamas over the next 2 years.

April 24 2011 at 1:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sue

I don't believe her she can pick up the soaps ppl have DVR now the tape them I'm one of them I DVR the soaps and watch All My Children One Life To Live and General Hospital at night I know other ppl who do the same this is a let down to all AMC and OLTL fans. but Soap fans will find anoher network to pick them up. this wasn't fair to the fans who don't have cable or there cable company don't have own.

April 23 2011 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Florence Brooks

i have been watching soaps 4 years they will be missed especially all my children please help

April 23 2011 at 4:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joseph b

By watching that clip of Oprah I must say, that I for one do not believe her when she says she cannot save them, I'd really like to know how many people are home during the day?.......since being out of work for 3 years due to a medical condition I sure am home during the day and watch AMC, OLTL and GH however I do not watch Oprah sorry, Judge Judy is first and foremost, I'm sure of those people that are not home during the day have a DVR and I read sometime ago that a DVR counts in ratings going towards as though somebody watching the show. I think it's more of a you win some you lose some and the way she's looking at it is a loss if she took over the soaps, she did her homework I will give her that so she was looking at taking them over but ratings came into play and with low ratings I guess she said to herself I'm not touching them with a 10 foot pole. I wouldn't look at soapnet either they're changing to Disney JR but I do agree there has to be another network out there willing to invest in these 2 soaps and save them and make them bigger and better then before.

April 23 2011 at 4:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gwenshack

I thought Oprah could do anything. LMAO.

I think Soapnet is going to become Disney Junior or something next year so that's not the answer. But there has to be something that can be done. I don't watch AMC anymore but I do sometimes still watch OLTL. The death of these shows is pointing that the one I do watch, GH, will be right behind it if we don't find a way to save these shows.

April 22 2011 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Betty

There may not be enough people home in the daytime to watch when they are on, but most record the shows to watch later. If noone is home during the day to watch TV, why invent 2 new shows that few will be interested in and, more than likely, will not watch (I know I won't). There are way too many talk shows on now. If I want to watch a show about cooking, I'll watch the Food Network. I really am not interested in watching a group of people talk about food. I like Rachel Ray, but seldom watch the whole show and never record it. I wish them luck. I think they're going to need it.

April 22 2011 at 11:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Betty's comment
bbhanks

Betty, it cost a lot more money to produce the soaps than a live talk show. It is all about money. They can afford a smaller audience for that kind of show. I like you will miss the soaps but everything we know from the past is changing. Unfortunately that is Life. A friend called me when she heard that the soaps were being cancelled to give me her condolences..

April 23 2011 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bbhanks's comment
Betty

I understand that it costs a lot more to produce a soap than a talk show. And, unfortunately, everything is about the bottom line. At this rate, seeing as some network prime-time shows have been cancelled in the past due to the cost of production, someday there will be more talk and "realitiy" shows and less scripted shows in prime time, also. It's also a shame that, once you turn 50, you are irrelevant as far as advertisers are concerned. They are ignoring at least 30 years, if not more, of buying power. Considering all the "baby boomers" out there and their huge influence on products, not a good group to ignore.

April 23 2011 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down