October 31, 2014

'Stargate Universe' Season 2, Episode 18 Recap

by Mike Moody, posted Apr 26th 2011 8:30AM
stargate universe epilogue['Stargate Universe' – 'Epilogue']

This week's episode of 'Stargate Universe' played like a love letter to the show's fans. Seeing these characters grow old together felt especially poignant in light of the show's cancellation and the recent news that the story will not continue with a TV movie or miniseries.

'Epilogue' was epic, ambitious and moving -- exactly the kind of dramatic and clever sci-fi storytelling that viewers will remember for years to come. And it was funny too! Really, really funny.

It might be tempting for some to call this a filler episode, since the big, epic developments all seemed to concern that other Destiny crew – the one that traveled back in time some 2,000 years and founded a new society on a faraway planet. But their story served to inform and celebrate the characters we've come to know and love.

The alt. crew flashbacks also taught us new and important things about our heroes, and the episode solidified the idea that, as Alt. Camille said in the final act, the "mission is and always will be the journey itself."

Watching the alt. crew living together for years and striving to reach their full potential was satisfying and rewarding.

It was great to see Eli reach his full potential and be recognized as the genius that he is (He wrote ALL the textbooks and served as Novus' most quoted philosopher!).

Watching Col. Young remain the group leader while alienating others seemed appropriate. His long relationship with a dying TJ was lovely and heartbreaking, and I wouldn't be surprised if those scenes made several fans tear up before the night was over.

So everyone (not named Brody) had a ton of babies! Makes sense, I guess, since they were trying to rebuild society and everything. I was a little on the fence at first about the ep's "who hooked up with who" obsession, but it was nice to see that the entire ep wasn't all about that.

Most of the alt. pairings didn't really come as a surprise. Matt married Chloe in a quaint outdoor ceremony. With poor Volker dead and gone, Greer and Park were free to have seven (Seven!) babies (not that the timid Volker would have stood a chance against Greer, I'm guessing). Eli fell in love with Corporal Barnes (whoever she is). Varro and James got married, because why not!

The only ones who didn't settle down and procreate were Camille and Brody. Camille went on plenty of dates, but she didn't find anyone as appealing as her soul mate from Earth.

And Brody ... oh Brody! He seemed to instantly morph into crazy combative guy as soon as everyone reached the other side of the Gate. The founder of enemy nation Futura ("That's so stupid.") hilariously ended up a crotchety, mustachioed geezer who complained about all the annoying dancing going on everywhere and how those damn kids kept tearing up his lawn. I did a laughing spit-take at the end of that scene, and I wasn't even drinking anything.

Back on present-day Novus, everyone was pouring through impeccably preserved Kino footage and personal journals. Eli and the boys rigged an uplink from the Novus bunker to The Destiny to transmit all the historical archives to the ship. But the clock started ticking when the planet started to tear itself apart. Hello manufactured plot device!

OK, so the unstable planet thing actually led to some pretty cool suspense/action scenes with debris crashing all around the crew and Young, Eli, TJ and Varro going all 'Die Hard' and climbing up the side of the wall on a shoddy emergency ladder. I really thought Varro was a goner here (and so quickly after saving TJ's life). But he' lived on to pine after TJ for another day.

You gotta feel for TJ. She has two strong and capable men falling all over themselves to get her attention, but she just found out that she only has a handful of years to live. It made sense that the Tanarans would find a cure for Lou Gehrig's disease, since they're more technically advanced than we are. But, sadly, the cure wasn't uploaded to Destiny in time, and it looks like TJ's situation has become more desperate than ever.

I was expecting the historical archives to reveal something damning about Alt. Rush. Our Rush was acting way too upset and disinterested in learning about Novus and the Alt. Crewmembers lives. But Volker seemed to put Rush's attitude in perfect perspective when he suggested that it killed him to learn that they all got along fine without him.

'Epilogue' was easily one of the best episodes of the series ever, and it was also one of the most ambitious hours of 'Stargate' to ever hit the screen.

Other thoughts:

- Good to know that, when faced with death an extinction, humanity will not allow beef jerky or elevator music to die out.

- Strong performances all around this time. Extra kudos to Peter Kelamis as crotchety Brody.

- So what are they gonna do with all of those new people on the ship? Those new supplies aren't gonna last forever.

- So the warring factions on Novus finally settled their differences in light of the impending worldwide disaster. And they created awesome spaceships! Maybe these people really do belong together.

- I almost reached for the Kleenex when Chloe told a dying Young, "We are home." Almost.

- I liked the way this ep combined the Kino footage, diary narration and proper flashbacks to tell the story of Novus. And that final visual sequence of the city evolving was pretty damn cool.

- Only two more episodes left. (Sadness.)

'Stargate Universe' airs Mondays at 9PM.

Follow @mikemoody on Twitter.

KarinC

LOVED this episode and the one before it.

Season 1 I was getting tired of all the fighting and pointless back-stabbing - not to mention the "oh-hum" enemy aliens. But the show has really matured in Season 2. Wish SyFy would reconsider cancelling it.

May 23 2011 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Scfi has ben Taken over by accountants and will be left with a skeleton Network.
What Percent of this crowd no longer watch on Friday nights?
Wrestling OMG, what a laugh, but im sure it pays well.

May 02 2011 at 8:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
toak

The first season was awful. I couldn't care less. I barely watch it.

But now after watching several episodes of the second season, I can't wait for another episode. It has become really wonderful.

Too bad in the first season you guy were lost in your wormhole vortex. Finally but a little too late, you now found your way back through the gate.

April 28 2011 at 6:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris McCarthy

Shame on Syfy.

April 27 2011 at 9:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Louie

Loved the Brody scene. He has quickly become one of my favorite characters in between his gaff with Volker's Ipod with the 2001 soundtrack, getting stuck in a stasis pod, and now his alternate self complaining about too much dancing and his precious lawn getting torn up. SyFy (Siffee) you really screwed up letting SGU go without a well deserved 3rd season. As you have treated one of my favorite science fiction shows in a long time with disinterest I will do the same with all of the poor programming you have put in SGU's place.

April 27 2011 at 8:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

SGU is clearly the best show on TV these days. To see it cancelled while dreck like Sanctuary continues to get renewed on SyFy is sheer lunacy. The end of this show is tragic.

I don't think this was one of the best episodes but it was very well done nonetheless with some very touching and poignant moments. The character development that has gone on since the beginning is amazing.

April 27 2011 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
drevil4961

I'll admit that it took a little while for SGU to grow on me, but season two kept getting better and better. Last week's episode "Epilogue" was one of the best things I've seen on TV since Lost and BSG, inspiring me to look online to see where the franchise was headed. And I find out the show's done... ****.
In short... this sucks monkey balls.
I haven't been this bummed out since Firefly was cancelled. All of the other shows on TV are mediocre at best, there is literally no reason for me to keep cable anymore. Great decision making guys, keep promoting garbage shows like The Event and V and cancel the ones with real storytelling and compelling characters. Why the **** are there 500+ stations if shows like SGU can't stay on the air? I'm done.

April 27 2011 at 11:44 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Jason

Nobody mentioned that Lt. James named her and Greer's firstborn son Dale (Voker's first name) without heitation. Also, I think that even though Varo made an awesome catch of T.J., Young's "attempt" to catch him on the ladder was purposely slow and feeble. But he did go down and check if Varo was dead or not. And why couldn't Camille contribute to the planets population. She would only have to pretend not to be a lesbian for about 30 seconds. Eli said it would next to impossible to find the slow space ships, but you know he is going tthe original Star Trek got one more season because fans made the big wigs understand. We need to figure out how to make syfy go back to sci-fi.

April 27 2011 at 9:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dragvw2180

Like everyone is saying, They are good at bringing a good product to market but not very patient in letting it grow to maturity.

April 27 2011 at 9:10 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Nicolas Xayasith

This is exactly why I have a love/hate relationship with television SciFi nowdays. Just as soon as I really start getting into a series, here comes the Axe.
SGU started a little slow, but quickly built up some interest with me when it wasn't afraid to show some gritty realities of what being stranded on a spacecraft could be like. The characters developed along nicely as the show continued, and they even managed to explore some unique story lines such as the problematic issues when transferring your mind over to another body via the communication stones... among other things. You can't fault the cast either, because they all did a fantastic job.

Good television that's supported by the network is an endearing thought, but the reality is I'm sick and tired of investing my time on shows only to see them yanked prematurely by executives who really don't care a flying poop about standing behind quality TV. "Stargate: Universe" is just another victim to add to the list. Ratings certainly didn't kill off series like Farscape, or Space: Above and Beyond, Jericho, and the original Stargate SG1 - among others. I know those shows had a huge fanbase. Inept executives and flipping a show into syndication to line a few pockets - that there is why most SciFi and other TV shows that while very good, are expensive to produce, get canceled.

I am however looking forward to the remaining two episodes - hoping that the crew and Destiny herself can manage to pull off a decent sendout, and finish with a proper ending. It's a shame I can't put much faith in SyFy, Fox or NBC Universal to continue anything they start up that actually looks like a GOOD science fiction series... but like a lot of my favorite shows that were canceled before their time, I can always vote at the DVD store and pick up a copy of the series to appreciate in my own home.
I just hope they figure out a way to get Ginn and Mrs. Perry out of quarantine, because I can't imagine spending eternity with your consciousness trapped inside the computer on an ancient ship would be much fun.

April 27 2011 at 5:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply