April 24, 2014

Will 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' Actors Be Hired by Other Soaps?

by Michael Maloney, posted Apr 27th 2011 7:45PM
All My Children, One Life to LiveAccording to Deadline, Sony Television, which partially owns surviving soaps 'The Young and the Restless' and 'Days of our Lives,' wants its soaps to snatch up available talent from 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live,' which have recently -- and tragically -- been canceled by ABC.

While that's likely to happen to some degree ('AMC' and 'OLTL' picked up actors from 'Guiding Light' and 'As the World Turns' after they were canceled a while back), shows need to be careful who they go after.

Veteran daytime talent manager Michael Bruno, who reps actors including Amelia Heinle and Stephen Nichols on 'Y&R' and Lauren Koslow on 'Days,' notes that there's a right and a wrong way to go about maximizing the genre's available talent. Read his comments after the jump.

TV Squad: Does it make sense for the remaining shows to go after the available talent from 'OLTL' and 'AMC'?
Michael Bruno: Yes. It makes sense on paper for producers to grab top stars and hope that people who are fans of the canceled soap operas will then watch their show. However, that works best when they rehire people who were already on their show.

What are examples of that?
When Crystal Chappell was on the market after 'GL' went off the air, she went back to playing Carly on 'Days.' Gina Tognoni and Kim Zimmer, also from 'GL,' went back to their roles as Kelly and Echo on 'OLTL.' You do that and you hope that their fans will come.

So, using this theory, who from 'AMC' and 'OLTL' might get picked up?
If I were doing it, I'd look into actors like Jacob Young, who plays JR on 'AMC' going back to 'The Bold and the Beautiful,' where he played Rick. Also, Bobbie Eakes, who plays Krystal on 'AMC,' going back to 'B&B' as Macy. Those are not bad ideas.

Do fans follow actors to other shows if they're playing brand new characters?
It's a fallacy to think that you can just start adding people from these defunct serials to your soap opera [and get viewers from the canceled show]. The reality is your existing viewer will get a bigger kick out of someone from the history of that soap opera coming back than they would over someone who's never been on it.

Deidre Hall [who left 'Days' in 2009 due to budget cutbacks] is far more important to 'Days' than Susan Lucci (Erica, 'AMC') is. It's more important for 'Days' to get Deidre back and for 'Y&R' to get Victoria Rowell (ex-Dru) back than it is for them to hire Susan Lucci and Debbi Morgan (Angie, 'AMC.') The remaining shows shouldn't be focusing on taking on new talent from the canceled shows. They should put their energy into writing for the casts that they already have.

Barbie Bobo

I hope that Oprah has room for "All My Children" to continue on her OWN network! I watched that show with my Mom when she was still living and have such fond memories of doing that. I would think of her when someting "big" happened on the show. Soaps are so good at helping you to forget your own troubles! I think they are sometimes healing, in a way. I will miss the characters so much. They were my second family. Even my husband was watching them with me for the last ten years.

September 25 2011 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Holly Wilkins Tompki

it is a shame that All My Children and One Life to Live have been canceled by ABC. I for one join others who feel that the cooking shows and how to dress are a terrible idea and I won't watch any of them. Look at all the people that have been put out of work. I have been watching these shows since 1984 and will miss them terribly. Shame on you ABC.

August 23 2011 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
adnil321

Fantastic Ideas here! Oprah please pick up AMC on your network. I love that soap.

May 27 2011 at 6:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sherrin

I'm very upset that All my children & One Life to Live is being cancelled, especially since I heard they will be adding reality shows in its place. Who wants to see reality shows? Hopefully, some cable can continue these shows. Do the networks ever ask the people who are watching these soaps for years? Please no reality shows !!!!!!

May 16 2011 at 10:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lvpjw

Why do these shows need to be canceled? Why not have another network pick them up? Soap net anyone? Why not continue to keep them going on another network, that would be worthy of great shows. So many networks I cant believe that none would offer to pick these shows up and SCREW ABC. Daytime shows, years ago, are what made ABC rich and famous today. I would like to see all shows on ABC pull out. There are so many great Networks, let get one to pick them up...........DAYTIME SHOWS, LIVE.....SOAP SHOWS MUST GO ON,........ OPRAH pick these shows up on your network

April 28 2011 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ðan Sauvé

Kim Zimmer (Reva - Guiding Light / Jodie - Santa Barbara / and currently Echo - One Life to Live) did have a meeting with the Bell Family so I am thinking at some point she will pop up on The Young and the Restless or The Bold and the Beautiful . Seeing that she has never been on either of these CBS soaps, she'd be playing a new character but I will follow Kim Zimmer over to CBS .

April 28 2011 at 2:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather Miller

Kristen Alderson needs to set up a meeting with Ryan Murphy and head to glee.... just saying

April 27 2011 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathy Jimerson

My top priority is to save the two shows from cancellation. But barring that, I want to see Thorsten Kaye and Alicia Minshew acting together somewhere. For any of the remaining soaps to pick them up as a couple would be great for both the fans and the show. I hope we get to see several of the actors get roles on other soaps. If this cancellation travesty goes forward, I intend to really support the remaining soaps. I don't want to see the genre die completely.

April 27 2011 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Betty

Although I am not interested in watching anything other than "All My Children", if Michael Knight were to end up on another show, I'd definitely change my mind!

April 27 2011 at 9:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
albokay

Netflix should snatch these up and continue them.

Perfect way to bring an audience who might not be willing to try instant streaming to give it a go.

April 27 2011 at 8:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply