July 23, 2014

'NCIS' Creator Sues CBS Over 'NCIS: LA,' Mark Pedowitz Named New CW President and More

by Jean Bentley, posted Apr 28th 2011 4:45PM
NCIS Los Angeles'NCIS' creator Don Bellisario is suing CBS for not including him in the creation of the now-franchise's successful spin-off, 'NCIS: Los Angeles.'

Although Bellisario was fired from the show after season 4 when star Mark Harmon threatened to leave, Deadline reports Bellisario is saying that the network was still contractually obligated to include him in the spinoff show.

The network has countered via a statement to Entertainment Weekly, saying "Don Bellisario has no rights to what he is claiming in this suit. The contract is clear, the facts are undeniable and the courts won't need Naval intelligence to conclude that the case has no merit. We continue to honor all of our obligations to Mr. Bellisario under the actual agreement."

In other TV news ...

The CW network has a new boss. Mark Pedowitz was named the new head of the network. Former chief Dawn Ostroff announced her exit earlier this year. [TV Guide]

The 'Glee' gang has scored a major guest star while they film the Nationals episode in New York this week. Apparently, Broadway leged Patti LuPone is filming scenes today with 'Glee' stars Lea Michele and Chris Colfer. [TV Line]

NBC is working on a TV series based on John Grisham's 'The Firm.' The author is on board the project as a producer. [EW]

Next year's Golden Globe Awards will be held on January 15. The nominations will be announced on December 15. [THR]

Two of the final three 'Oprah Winfrey Show' episodes will tape in Chicago May 17. The all-star guests will apparently be a surprise to the host, who notoriously doesn't like surprises. [EW]

The writers behind the new Cameron Diaz/Justin Timberlake movie, 'Bad Teacher,' have signed a TV deal. Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg have a new two-year overall deal with ABC Studios. [Deadline]

Bill Engvall will guest star on TNT's 'HawthoRNe.' The 'Blue Collar Comedy' star will play a police detective investigating an incident at the hospital. [EW]

HBO will re-broadcast its Lady Gaga concert special for 24 hours after its debut. 'Lady Gaga Presents the Monster Ball Tour: At Madison Square Garden' will premiere at 9PM ET on Sat., May 7. [HBO]

Elmer Lynn Hauldren, the Empire Carpet commercial spokesman, died. He was 89. Hauldren first began appearing in the company's ads in 1973. [THR]

Tiva

I like NCIS its one of my favorite shows. I liked NCIS LA last season haven't got into it this year but I still watch it but the original NCIS is better I like the cast better and characters are more likeable. In NCIS LA I like Sam and G but I heard Linda Hunt aka Hattie is leavin I like her but Like said I like the original one better. I like CSI NY too I lie Criminal minds just not the spin off as much can do without that one.

April 30 2011 at 1:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
purpleink1954

I agree mattie, but I only like NCIS. I have NEVER missed an episode. I don't watch H either. He is worn out.

April 29 2011 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian Workman

T.V. Is a Vast Waistland!!!!!!!!

April 29 2011 at 8:12 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
mattie2310

I like CSI, NCSI, NCSI LA CSI NY. Would like the Miami one, but don't care for H and his sideways standings all the time. Gotten OLD H! Like all L & O's and both Criminal Minds. Hate all these reality shows too. Used to like watching Survivor, but last year's, got old. Same ole same ole. TV is getting crappier every year! They get a good show on and replace it with a crapy one. Like taking Detroit 187 off and putting whatever that is on with that woman. Didn't like her when I watched Desperate Housewives and sure don't like her in this show. Like Jerri, Can't think of her last name? Oh well, just my 2 cents in and feelings about these shows.

April 29 2011 at 8:05 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
bub132phs

BS

April 29 2011 at 6:39 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
gmculloch

If Bellasario was fired then why is he still listed in the credits? And NCIS Los Angeles got a rough start and is improving...it would have been a better show if Bellasario had done the producing..you don't have hits like he has had in the past and not be good at what you do. He and Harmon had some disagreements as far as constant changes in the scripts, late and many many many hours fliming way and above standard industry. You won't find another actor with the work ethic that Mark Harmon has so his "beef" with the production issues were legitmate. I would bet that Bellasario does have a legit reason for suing.

April 29 2011 at 5:22 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to gmculloch's comment
dwyllieent

You are right. Frankly NCIS Los Angeles sucks in my opinion. I don't understand why they felt the need to create a spin off show.

April 29 2011 at 6:53 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
vpilat

I agree with Debbieinokc.

April 29 2011 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
debbieinokc

I like the original NCIS, but the LA version leaves a lot to be desired. Without Gibbs and his team the story line doesn't make sence

April 29 2011 at 4:59 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to debbieinokc's comment
RD

I guess it's just a matter of taste. Personally I find NCIS LA a lot more entertaining than the original.

April 29 2011 at 5:34 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
fmeyer11

NCIS Lite is better than Criminal Minds Obnoxious and Assinine, but I could easily live without it. And what fault could the previous poster have with Harmon's Gibbs, sheesh, so don't watch, who cares.

April 29 2011 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
geocur3971

WHAT!!? Bellesario was FIRED because of a complaint from HARMON?? I just watched my very LAST episode of NCIS. The ONLY objectionable -- CONSISTENTLY objectionable -- character on that otherwise pretty good show is MARK HARMON. This really pisses me off. Goodbye NCIS, and Abby, who would be another reason to watch it. But, no; this does it for me.

April 29 2011 at 4:22 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to geocur3971's comment
brn7480

Awwww, we'll miss you.

April 29 2011 at 5:30 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
jacknab97

3 years late, bub, you didn't even notice his abscent until now because you read it here, and now you're not going to watch another episode? LOL. Guess we should wipe your memory of the last three seasons.

April 29 2011 at 6:31 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply