October 22, 2014

'The Vampire Diaries' Season 2, Episode 20 Recap

by Jean Bentley, posted Apr 29th 2011 12:30AM

The Vampire Diaries['The Vampire Diaries' - 'The Last Day']

Woah. Woah, woah, woah.

I was all set to talk about what a perfectly nice filler episode of 'The Vampire Diaries' was, then AH MAH GAH. The end? The end! Only on 'TVD' are the filler episodes just as exciting as ever.

Last night's episode, which chronicled the final day in Mystic Falls before the sacrifice as Klaus and his right-hand witch gathered the necessary components (including luring Tyler back to town), introduced the possibility of the game changer of all game changers: Could Elena become a vampire?

Yeah yeah, I know it happens in the books eventually. Let it be known -- I fully expected that if 'TVD' were to run many, many more seasons (we're talking a 'Buffy' or 'Creek'-ian number of seasons) that the writers would go down that path. But so soon? One of the main conflicts of the show (and, like, the entire original premise) is that Elena is a human in this supernatural world. There's so much left there to explore. If she were to leave that behind so soon, I fear 'TVD' would lose its cheeky sense of humanity. I was glad to hear Elena say she didn't want to become one, even if she is so infuriatingly blase about the fact that she could die.

Speaking of humans becoming vampires, AH MAH GAH, JENNA. Much like Caroline and Vicki, one second the girl was oblivious of the fact that vampires even exist, a hot second later she was an all-powerful eternal being herself. Unfortunately, though, I fear Jenna's fate will go down the Vicki path (in that she'll die, not that she'll hook up with Jeremy. She's his aunt, SICKOS.) There are definitely going to be some casualties here, and I can absolutely see Aunt Jenna as one (even though the Gilbert family has already experienced a tremendous amount of loss in a very short span of time).

Damon rescuing Caroline and Tyler from the tomb proves (to me, at least) that he truly does care about things (people, humanity) again. A far cry from the selfish, detached Damon of season 1. I think Damon does care about Caroline (maybe not so much Tyler), but even if he was saving them because he needed to protect Elena, at least he believes in something bigger than himself again.

And he'll need to, once the WEREWOLF BITE KILLS HIM. The fact that Damon would stay with Tyler when he knew he was in grave danger further proves the guy's matured over the past two seasons. Plus, despite some jokes (JOKES, PEOPLE) from co-creator Julie Plec, I'm pretty positive Ian Somerhalder will be sticking around next season. So my first thought upon seeing the bite wasn't fear for Damon's life, it was "Oh, I guess we'll find out what cures werewolf bites then."

The Vampire DiariesElena deciding to trust Elijah even though he was going to give her a crusty 500-year-old fake death potion (as Damon astutely put it, "That's your plan? A magical witch potion with no expiration date?") was probably the right move. How could you not trust such an impeccably coiffed man? I hope Elijah becomes a full-fledged member of the gang, if only because he's super badass and awesome. Plus, he could teach them all about the Originals next season.

Matt and Sheriff Forbes continued to be in cahoots. Don't like. Nope. Not one bit. But I did let out a little "awwwww" when he told her he wasn't convinced that anything was wrong. (And thank goodness he was suspicious, because he followed and killed witch guy ... which could actually be terrible news if Klaus finds out.)

Another "awwwww" moment? When Caroline was all like "WTF Tyler, why'd you leave?" And he was all like "My B." Who knew that would be a relationship you'd want to root for?

Anyway, the you-know-what is about to go down next week, and I can't wait to see how everything plays out.

Final thoughts:

-- Damon quip of the week, on Bonnie possibly dying while stopping the sacrifice: "I'll write her a great eulogy!"

-- Chemistry between Elena and Elijah. It's there, right? RIGHT?

-- Let's all appreciate the WB-ness of the singer-songwriter music playing while Tyler visited mom in the hospital.

-- All hail the veiny eyes! I miss them.

-- Klaus suspected Katherine of resisting his compulsion, but Katherine's a bad enough bitch to withstand the burn of sunlight on her own. Damn.

What did you think of the episode? Were you expecting the craziness at the end of the episode? And ... should Elena become a vampire? Sound off in the comments.

As we approach the finale, don't forget to check out our Q&As with creator Julie Plec and some of the stars of the show.

Follow Jean on Twitter @hijean

Chantal Walters

I agree, we need more super cool humans because the Vamps we already have are EXQUISITE enough!!! And OMGEEEE!!!!! I LOVE YOU DAMON! There has to be a cure or that's the end of TVD for me! @ Rebecca Ayers - love reading your comment, its cute, funny and well structured!

May 03 2011 at 4:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rebecca Ayers

It's always the mark of a good episode when I pause, rewind & repeat. Oh & when I need a drink(s) Damon pass the whiskey. Reaction #1: HORROR: No Damon you did not just?! Really?!! Open mouth, hide eyes. That was a doozie, vamping out & forcing Elena to drink your blood? He is desperate & he snapped. I also missed the veiny face. Which leads to:Holy Salvatore Brother Smackdown with Damon losing it on a whole new level. The relationship with his brother & Elena is now severely altered, possibly forever. Reaction #2: HEARTBREAK at the hands of both Stefan & Elena as they discuss what her turning means. The fact that she had no choice & that she doesn't want it. She wants to live *cue Kleenex* such an important few scenes. Will Elena really turn?! This is serious & would change the series entirely. Not sure how I feel about that...we shall see.
Reaction #3 BAMF Ohhhh Klaus, you are not disappointing. Between your scenes with Damon(you've met your match buddy) & Katherine (painful burning scene) you scare the Be-Jesus out of me. Mystic Falls shall never be the same, that is for sure *shivers* side note: how jealous is Katherine of Elena that she would give Damon info so quickly to avoid Elena competition forever?
Damon somewhat redeemed himself by immediately confessing to Alaric that he screwed up, it is progress, albeit at snail mail pace. Long live the Bromance, as Alaric agrees to help Damon. You may be his only friend in the world. Which may change once you realize what's happened to Jenna. Which is of course the next WTF moment.
Jenna a vamp?! Jenna dead? Both seem imminent. Is that grave in the previews hers? Or are we in for more twists? My head might actually implode.
Tyler: I am seriously loving you in this episode. You have changed, very subtly & it's obvious Caroline has real feelings for you. This could create a very interesting new love triangle, especially now that Care knows that Matt's in the know. Providing you all survive (may you live forever). Matt struggling with Caroline being Caroline is very sweet but I'm worried about Mama Forbes...
In true TVD form the last scene is critical, werewolf bite Say What?! I knew when he said he was okay that Tyler had bit Damon, this is one of the scenes we rewound several times. He also saved Matt & Caroline in the process, brownie points anyone? The demise of Damon is too horrendous for me to consider, so I shall stay in denial & focus on possible ways the bite will not kill him. A) Tyler wasn't completely a wolf yet. Perhaps death will not be certain?B)Possible cures: Bite a werewolf?(remember Jules line to Damon of "Bite me" when he asked about a cure for Rose?)Does he have to kill the werewolf who bit him?(run Tyler)Witchy JuJu anyone? (time for Bonnie & Jeremy to return, the team needs help) Can Originals help? (Elijah this means you) However it's done Stefan just don't let the damn dog kill your brother. Fave quote Klaus "thanks for the loaner Mate"*accent swoon* Elena "close your eyes"

April 29 2011 at 4:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Johnson

I don't think Jean Bentley knows what a filler episode is.

A filler episode is an episode with a self-contained story designed to kill time in lieu of pushing forward the plot. What Bones has been for the last 4 episodes, that is filler. This pushed far too much plot, even without the ending, to be a filler episode.

This was a set-up episode.

April 29 2011 at 2:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vamplover23

I love how you wrote out the synopsis of the episodes its so funny and i cant wait to see what happens net OMG I love Elijah he also played in true blood i guess he has a thing for vamps lol.

April 29 2011 at 1:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nidesola

Yay!!!! I am new to watching TVD as of 1.5 weeks ago, and after marathon-watching season 1 & 2, glad to be on board. The only slow part for me was Elena & Stefan making googly eyes at each other. Usu a sucker for romance, but could have skipped all that nonsense. And I don't want Jenna to be a vampire. We actually need more awesome humans on this (though when they turn into supernatural beings, they do become spectacular! Look at what happened to Caroline).

April 29 2011 at 1:13 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply