December 20, 2014

Rachel Griffiths Jokes About 'Brothers & Sisters' Cancellation

by Jean Bentley, posted May 2nd 2011 3:45PM
Rachel GriffithsAlthough the fate of 'Brothers & Sisters' is unknown after the show's May 8 season finale, the bubble show's actors aren't necessarily expecting good news for their five-year-old series.

Rachel Griffiths made a surprise appearance at Australia's Logie Awards show last night (the equivalent of the Emmys) where the Aussie actress joked about heading down to the country's welfare office because she'd soon be out of a job.

According to Aussie TV blog TV Tonight, she told the Logies host, "I'm soon to be unemployed so I checked in with Centrelink ... and said, 'Looks like I'm out of a job and wanna sign up.'"

TV Line reached out to ABC for official confirmation of a 'Brothers & Sisters' cancellation, to which a rep replied "No decision has been made."

They'll have to decide quickly, though, considering the network is scheduled to announce its 2011-2012 programming slate at a May 16 upfront presentation.

Rob Lowe left the ensemble show last year
, while Calista Flockhart cut back on her episode commitment. The series hasn't been getting the same Nielsen ratings it once was, so this year could be the last time we sit through a wine-fueled Walker family dinner.

Tell us: Will you be sad to see 'Brothers & Sisters' go?

Don't forget to check on the fate of your favorite show in our Guide to Returning and Canceled Series.

Follow Jean on Twitter @hijean

coralmouse

It deserved at the least a final season or a final TV movie for closure and a farewell thank you to all the fans that made it into a success. Thanks for a great family-all inclusive, smart show but no thanks for the no-goodbye- P FT Lauderdale, FL

November 13 2011 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
p2t4a8

I just found out that ABC cancelled "Brothers and Sisters" when I checked AOL TV after I didn't see promos for its return this fall. I am not surprised at all. The show lost its focus, especially when Holly left. The writing became stale, rather broing, and very cliche: adopting a pre-teen child, not wanting to marry at first and then getting married, tec. The plots did not make sense anymore. But the coup de grace was when one episode served as an advertisement for Macy's by showing the family buying packages there and commenting on the sales. This was pretty pathetic. I guess that Rob Lowe saw that the end was coming when he left last year. The other characters were not acting as they had during the first few seasons. They were "out of character." I blame the poor writing for this. I hope that Sally Field will find another show soon. I really enjoyed watching her.

October 02 2011 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
klpoppy

It's a bad idea to cancel ! This is a show I looked forward to every Sunday night ! I am so sad :(

May 18 2011 at 12:59 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
fig816

It's about time! It's shows like this that are turning people's brains to mush. It's amazing how easily some people get sucked in to watching garbage like this. The only mistake ABC made, is that they didn't flush Grey's Anatomy down the toilet at the same time. It's easy to see why they call the TV a "boob tube".

Try reading a book for crying out loud!

May 18 2011 at 5:27 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
nsylvester

Sorry to see Brothers and Sisters cancelled. It was one of the best portrayals of a gay loving relationship on TV as well as the importance of adoption regardless of race.

May 17 2011 at 5:14 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
WESBROMLEY

I am out raged about Brothers and Sisters being cancelled

May 17 2011 at 4:34 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ilvlucy86

Hmmm. My wife and I have been expecting this for some time now. We never missed the show, however, I would not have minded much if I had. The plots were getting stale and the writing went down hill. We love Sally Field and everything she has done, but even she has to admit that the plots and writing were getting pretty stale. Hopefully, someone will make a pilot with Ms Field and we will be able to, possibly, watch her again. Sorry gang, but you had to see this coming.

May 16 2011 at 9:22 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Gwynne

I love this show....Sally Fields and all of them....I am soo upset
I hope they do a few next season to Gracefully let show end....I loved it!

May 16 2011 at 8:21 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ladyford3451

I absolutely LOVE Brothers and Sisters and am really upset that it will be canceled!! It is one of the few good programs left on television. I am so sick of reality shows and most of the other ridiculous shows that are on. This show should have been a keeper. I don't watch much TV but never missed Brothers and Sisters on Sunday night. Guess I will be watching even less TV now!! ABC what were you thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 16 2011 at 7:42 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Lexie

Im so sick Of ABC ******* with my shows It's bad enough they taking off the Soaps but now Brothers and sisters I am not watching abc At all next year i hope they Lose all there viewer.

May 16 2011 at 6:22 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply