April 19, 2014

Scott Pelley to Replace Katie Couric on 'CBS Evening News'

by Jean Bentley, posted May 3rd 2011 10:38AM
Scott PelleyAfter weeks of speculation, CBS announced today that Scott Pelley will replace Katie Couric as anchor of 'CBS Evening News.'

Pelley, a 22-year veteran of CBS news, was the front-runner for the job and will lead his first newscast as anchor and managing editor on June 6.

The award-winning journalist has reported for '60 Minutes' since 2004 and worked as the network's chief White House correspondent. In recent years, he's covered everything from the tsunami in Japan to the recession in the U.S., and interviewed people like President George Bush, Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke and Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens.

"I am delighted to join the terrific team at the 'CBS Evening News,'" Pelley said in a statement. "It's a privilege to work alongside the most gifted and talented journalists in the industry."

CBS News chairman Jeff Fager said of Pelley, "Scott has it all. He has the experience, the credibility and he is among the very best reporters ever to work at CBS News. In more than two decades at CBS News, he has distinguished himself at every level, right up to his current role at '60 Minutes,' where his work has been incomparable. We like to think of CBS News as the 'reporter's network' and I can't think of anybody in this business better suited for the anchor chair than Scott."

Although rumors spread for weeks in advance of Couric's departure, Couric officially announced her exit last week. "I have decided to step down from the 'CBS Evening News,'" Couric said. "I'm really proud of the talented team on the 'CBS Evening News' and the award-winning work we've been able to do in the past five years in addition to the reporting I've done for '60 Minutes' and 'CBS Sunday Morning.' In making the decision to move on, I know the 'Evening News' will be in great hands, but I am excited about the future."

Couric hasn't yet announced her next move, but recent reports have her hosting a talk show for ABC, as well as reporting for the network during the 2012 presidential election.

Barry

Great choice! Journalism over "infotainment".... maybe there is hope for the world!

May 04 2011 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amelia

Harry Smith should of replaced Katie Couric, I miss wathching you Harry Smith.

May 04 2011 at 10:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Prissy

I for one will miss Katie and wonder why they didn't hire another woman for the job. Now I'm going to switch over to ABC news with Diane Sawyer.

May 04 2011 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carole Ann

Couric wasn't a favorite of mine, but she brought out the true bimbo in Sarah Palin. It was almost fun to watch the ego-centric Palin stumble and fall. Goodbye Katie - I won't miss you either.

May 03 2011 at 5:00 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Phyllis

Goodbye Katie so glad to see you go you are disgusting and in love with yourself!!!!!!!!

May 03 2011 at 3:40 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
nmmobracing

Should have been Russ Mitchell to replace Curic

May 03 2011 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James Savell

Couric showed early in her today show career that she was not up to enterviewing groups of people. Her performance has not been up to par for years unless it was for photo ops. I hope the new guy Pelly can show better skills than Couric. Anyone can due better than Couric. I am wondering why it took CBS so long to replace her.

May 03 2011 at 2:21 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
show welcompage

Katie Dear good luck in your new endevors . you will be missed . mossaget

May 03 2011 at 2:15 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
gmccwby30

i think katie done wonderful job of reporting evening news,i will miss her great smile and personlity,but am glad she want to better herself,maybe she have more time spend with her family,my best wishes goes out to her.

May 03 2011 at 2:14 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply