November 24, 2014

'Glee' Season 2, Episode 19 Recap

by Joel Keller, posted May 4th 2011 1:00AM
'Glee' - 'Rumours'
['Glee' - 'Rumours']

Now that 'Glee' has completed almost two seasons, I'm wondering which kind of episode is better: one that centers around one artist or album or one that centers around a theme but uses songs from different artists. Both have their merits, but I'll tell you what: episodes revolving around a single artist or album are a heck of a lot easier to review.

Why? For one, you're not busy searching for song titles and artists. Second, you can see pretty easily if the episode adheres well to the theme set forth by the choice of that artist or album. And this week, the theme of "Rumors" was brought home pretty well by the glee club's cover of most of Fleetwood Mac's landmark album 'Rumours.'

And, in a pleasant turn of events, we not only got some well-done musical numbers, ones that seemed to have some emotion behind them, but we also got stories that seemed to be as coherent as any we've seen in this checkered season.

Even the Sue element of the episode fit in well, even if it still feels like Sue is a little over the top -- which perhaps Murphy, Brennan and Falchuk acknowledged by having her dress like a '70s era David Bowie and as Ann Coulter while she was talking to Terri at The Lima Bean. Sue even admitted that she hasn't quite been herself lately, that she's losing her grip. But instead of the cheese falling farther off her cracker, she actually hatched a relatively down-to-earth plan: resurrect the school paper, make it a rumor rag, and let the glee club tear itself apart from the inside.

So all the rumormongering really got the various couples -- and wannabe couples -- in a bunch of snits. Finn and Rachel spy on Sam because Finn thinks Quinn is cheating on him. Then we see Sam come out of a hotel with Kurt and that rumor flies around. Brittany lets fly on her 'Fondue for Two' vidcast that Santana plays for the other team, and Artie is so hurt that he actually calls Britt "stupid" for the first time ever, mainly because he thinks (rightly) that Santana is manipulating her.

'Glee' - 'Rumours'Then, we get Will trying to help April Rhodes make it back to Broadway. It was fun to see Kristin Chenoweth back, though beyond the two numbers she did -- 'Dreams' and a funny duet with Will from April's comeback show -- she had a minimal presence. But, at least that was explained a bit: she was invited back by Terri to lure Will away from the glee club, and Lima all together, all so Terri can get their apartment back (she lives in an efficiency with a raccoon in the wall). So instead of a story about April, she was more a plot contrivance to tempt Will to ditch New Directions and move to New York.

But the emotions coming from the kids were palpable. Artie was extremely hurt by Brit's insistence that she can talk to Santana with their tongues really close to each other while she still goes out with him, and his pain comes through in 'Never Going Back Again.' Santana really does love Brit, and she belts out 'Songbird' to let her know. Rachel is hurt and confused by Finn's insistence on staying with Quinn, so she gives her own rendition of 'Go Your Own Way.' And you can feel the tension between Finn and Quinn in every note of 'I Don't Want To Know.' There have been very few episodes where song and story were married together so well.

Then we find out about why Sam was hanging around that hotel room. For the first time in a long time, real life came to McKinley, didn't it? Sam's whole family was staying in a hotel because Sam's dad lost the job they moved to Ohio for. I'd want to hide this predicament if I were Sam, too; it was enough to be the trouty-mouthed new kid, much less one that's flat broke. It's likely the reason why he turned Rachel down for the prom. Knowing that, despite all the crappy rumors, the gleesters got together to buy back Sam's guitar, it really made the camaraderie we saw on the whole choir's rendition of 'Don't Stop' possible.

More fun stuff:

-- The couple names were fun, of course: Finchel (Finn and Rachel); Puckelberry (Puck and Rachel); Pises (Puck and Lauren). Later we got Sarofky (Santana and Zarofsky). If someone can give me Artie/Brittany and Tina/Mike Chang, do so in the comments.

-- Brittany had a great plan for Santana to come out, didn't she. Come on 'Fondue for Two,' and just say yes when Brit asks her to the prom. But she couldn't even do that. That's OK; I wanted to see more of her interview with Lord Tubbington. Boy, is that a big cat; no wonder why she knows so much about cat diseases.

-- "You always give your first love the benefit of the doubt." Rachel, of course, was talking more about what she's doing with Finn rather than what Finn was doing with Quinn.

-- I liked how Santana bristled at being asked to be on the golf team after the rumors of her coming out came out.

-- Another Brittany bit, thanks to my wife: Did anyone see the stuffed Cheerio doll in her room?

-- Mercedes is right; fondue does taste like a stuffed diaper.

-- Good to see Emma taking her meds and getting better. Will says the kids will keep him from going to Broadway. But I wonder if Emma becoming somewhat normal is going to be more of a pull.

-- What rumor about Asian men did Tina want to refute? I have my ideas, but they're not suitable for a family blog...

'Glee' airs Tuesdays at 8PM ET on FOX.

Visit AOL Music to hear the songs from 'Rumours.'

Follow @joelkeller on Twitter and on Facebook.

Watch the full episode here:

Corner Karbinx

its really good show for watch .

June 30 2011 at 5:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jakub Kinle

nice show for watch because in which everything for every one.

June 29 2011 at 8:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Carlinx

I love dance and this concept also based on dance and many people take intearst like me .I realy want to watch this show .

May 20 2011 at 2:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Armstan Cox

This show looks me on dance so far and dance is my passion that is why this show is rocking all the way.

May 12 2011 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol Vinx

I think this recap is very watchable and we will enjoy and learn something of this .

May 10 2011 at 2:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DutchGuy

Great to see that Glee also does the classics now and then. I bet most of the viewers never heard of Fleetwood Mac.
The Artie, Brittany, Santana triangle is an interesting story line, and the writers does a good job with it. I wonder how Artie will react when Brittany decides to really dump him for Santana.
And that song Santana sung, brilliant performed, Love the little notch to Mr. Pianoman as a piece of furniture.

The Sam-story was also very moving, for me it was a strong plot twist, with emotional acting. First time for me in season 2 to shed a tear. Season 1 had much more of these strong scenes.

May 04 2011 at 7:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
geebs

Its actually Finchel and Puckelberry for Finn/Rachel and Puck/Rachel. Oh, and while people have mentioned Tang and Bartie in the comments, those are the names in the fandom for those couples. The episode actually had "McTina Cohen Chang Chang" for Mike and Tina, and Artitany for Brittany and Artie

May 04 2011 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to geebs's comment
Joel

Thanks. I'll fix the text.

May 04 2011 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anb813

Why are you calling Brittany, "Tiffany?" Did I miss something?

I thought it was a great episode. I would really like for Artie and Brittany to be over, even if she doesn't get with Santana. While Brittany isn't right for cheating on him, she also doesn't deserve all his insecurities to be dumped on her. And is he just with her because she is "the hottest girl in the school?" Artie should get back with Tina - they apparently both have a love for Angry Birds.

May 04 2011 at 8:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to anb813's comment
Sarah

i noticed that too. he did it twice. confused me.

May 04 2011 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sarah's comment
Joel

It's called "writing a post at one in the morning." I'll fix it up.

May 04 2011 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
Stacie

I disagree about Artie. Was Santana taking advantage of Brittany a little with telling her they weren't cheating on Artie because she is a girl? Sure. But for Artie to call Brittany stupid was a low blow and I am glad they are broken up, at least in this episode. With Prom coming up anything can happen, but Artie saying that about Brittany makes him a bad guy, no matter what. Santana really does love Brittany so we all know that she isn't manipulating her, so when Brittany said that Santanta sometimes gets a bad wrap, she was actually on the ball, just Artie hasn't seen that side of Santana. Brittany's IQ actually goes up a few points when she is around or talks about Santana. She just seems more with it. Plus that version of Songbird was crazy good. Naya Rivera killed that song, I have only heard the original version a couple times and I get the powerful aspects of it, but this version of the song itself and then the delivery and emotion of the scene was really quite good.

I hate what they have done to Sue. She really has nothing to do at this point. To go from Emmy winning material, to this cartoon of a mess is so unfortunate. I don't know what they can do at this point to make her relevant again.

The Sam storyline was predictable from the get go. But since Sam hasn't had a decent storyline since he first came on the show, I guess it was a nice tie in with the theme.

May 04 2011 at 3:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Stacie's comment
Sarah

so, you've never just called someone stupid on the flip? i don't think he was calling her stupid as a low blow, but many times, some of the things she says, i laugh and think "that's so stupid!"

May 04 2011 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Sarah's comment
Stacie

I feel it's a low blow because we all know that everyone thinks that Brittany isn't that smart, so when the person that you care about tells you something about yourself that you probably already are sensitive about it's a low blow. He didn't say "that's stupid" or "you are being stupid" he said "why are you so stupid". That's pretty harsh.

Artie hasn't been the best boyfriend in the past with Tina, and his insecurities this time around definetly was a factor, but it's still not right.

May 04 2011 at 2:49 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
T Money

I don't buy Brittany and Santana as a couple. Brittany belongs with Artie and he's right Santana was manipulating Brittany, even if she does love her. On another note: "Fondue for Two" -- Genius!

check out my full recap here: http://rantsofacrazyperson.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/glee-recap-rumours/

May 04 2011 at 2:17 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply