October 24, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Ricky Martin Discusses His Early Struggles as a Closeted Gay Sex Symbol (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted May 4th 2011 6:05AM
Ricky Martin, 'The Tonight Show with Jay Leno'Ricky Martin is aware that a lot of people weren't surprised when he finally came out and announced he was gay. As detailed in his autobiography, 'Me,' it was more about his own internal struggles.

"What I was feeling, according to what I had in my mind, was evil," he told Jay Leno on 'The Tonight Show' (Weeknights, 11:35PM ET on NBC) referring to societal and religious expectations.

What made his early struggles with his sexuality more difficult was when he was the Ricky Martin of 'Livin' La Vida Loca' fame. "I was the sex symbol and I needed to dance and I needed to make girls crazy and I couldn't say that I was gay," he said. "It was a lot of struggle."

His coming out is more about facing his own demons and struggles, and perhaps inspiring and helping other people facing similar internal battles. So what if some people's reactions were "Yeah, what's new"? According to Martin, "it is about what I was feeling."

Watch the full interview here:

star

Fag.

May 04 2011 at 3:10 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
Gregginsarasota

Ricky Martin was not lying or being deceitful. He was just being himself, and the women fawned all over him. This has been happening to Hollyweird "stars" for so many years. Men like Rock Hudson, Anthony Perkins, (too many to list here) were gay, but had to put on the facade to keep their careers. Big deal, Ricky is gay, the disappointed women will get over it, and find somebody else to drool over. There's always Justin Beaver!

May 04 2011 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gaygeminitwin

As far as sin goes I know gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins and look how many obese people there are in our country - remark for Bill Thompson (also think your comment could be considered lust -another deadly sin). Homosexuality has been witnessed in over 100 species of animals as well - are they all sinners too?? Come to grips people Homosexuality is how I was born, the way God made me and I believe in him and Jesus as my savior -so telling me Im gonna burn I take as joke and I just want my equal rights like everyone else. Interracial marriages were banned a while back and like that its only a matter of time before I can with my partner.

May 04 2011 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane Jones

Damn,

Ricky Martin is still making me crazy!!!

May 04 2011 at 1:17 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

Wow you people are a bunch ******* idiots.

May 04 2011 at 1:04 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
Jamez

Closely listen to a dvd of Inception made prior to January the 8th Tucson shooting, especially around the dialogue, "Do It."

May 04 2011 at 12:06 PM Report abuse -7 rate up rate down Reply
dc walker

I always loved Martin's music but he was deceitful to women.

May 04 2011 at 11:44 AM Report abuse -9 rate up rate down Reply
robsphase

Ricky may have struggled trying to shove things up his b-t-! Let's see get millions of teenage girls to go crazy, take their money then tell them they it was all fake. Wow, sounds like a piece of trash to me! Looks like, and now we know it is!

May 04 2011 at 11:39 AM Report abuse -14 rate up rate down Reply
Mishy

That sucks for all the women that dreamed of him...;<

May 04 2011 at 11:37 AM Report abuse -10 rate up rate down Reply
will11344

I'm 67 and the first time I saw Ricky Martin was on commercials, years ago, inviting people to visit Puerto Rico. This was long before I even knew who he was. Menudo, his first group, was not a big act in this country. I don't think they even charted a hit on Billboard's Hot 100. I just thought he was a handsome man and made for a good spokesman for tourism in Puerto Rico. It was after his recording of Living La Vida Loco that I was able to connect the dots as to who he was. He comes across as a decent man. So did Librace. Both appear to be class acts. Since Martin is gay I hope he doesn't end up like Liberace and contracts HIV.

May 04 2011 at 11:34 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply