October 21, 2014

Cheryl Cole Officially Joins Fox's 'The X Factor'

by Chris Harnick, posted May 5th 2011 9:40AM
Cheryl Cole, The X FactorCheryl Cole has officially signed on to judge Fox's 'The X Factor.' The network made the announcement on Thurs., May 5.

"I'm thrilled for Cheryl. She is massively excited about this show, and has been fantastic to work with," Simon Cowell said in a statement. "She is also a complete brat! Most importantly, this girl can spot talent."

The former Girls Aloud singer has served as a judge on the U.K. version of the series alongside Cowell. She joins Cowell and L.A. Reid as the signed judges. Cowell has said he wants former 'American Idol' judge Paula Abdul to also join the upcoming singing competition series. In early April, 'X Factor' judge Reid told press Cole would be joining the series.

"I'm so excited to be taking part in the American version of 'The X Factor,' Cole said in a statement. "I absolutely love it here in the U.K., and with the talent they have out in America, I'm sure we're going to find someone very special. I can't wait to get started."

"I just can't decide whether I am more excited to find and nurture the talent or for the unbelievable amount of amusement and entertainment I will have watching Simon doing everything and anything he can to beat me," she said. "He's tried to beat me for three years in the U.K., and hasn't even come close. His ego must be so bruised. America is gonna love this."

Fox executives are singing Cole's praises. The singer is virtually an unknown in the United States.

"Cheryl Cole has the whole 'The X Factor' package: She's an incredibly talented artist and performer, as well as a style icon, and she has that special charisma that draws in fans around the world," Mike Darnell, president of alternative entertainment at Fox Broadcasting Company, said in a statement. "Cheryl's charm and chemistry with Simon have been a key part of the overwhelming success of 'The X Factor' in the U.K., and we can't wait to welcome her to the U.S. on our air."

'Former Pussycat Dolls singer and 'Dancing With the Stars' champion Nicole Scherzinger has reportedly signed to host the Fox series. In the past, Scherzinger has subbed for Cole on the U.K. 'X Factor.'

With Cole in place and filmed auditions starting May 8, expect a final announcement on the fourth judge soon.

Tell us: Do you think Cheryl Cole will be a good fit in the U.S.?

Follow Chris Harnick on Twitter.

T REXX

more dribble for the people who don't have a clue

May 06 2011 at 6:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DAVIDO

I've watched Cheryl Cole on Britain's "XFactor", and she's fairly incompetent at accurately assessing the talents of a reality show contestant. She's more like Cowell---style over substance. The XFactor isn't much of a show. A waste of time.

May 06 2011 at 5:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aeromom

Who, what??? Don't know, won't watch anyway!

May 06 2011 at 2:22 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

Cheryl Cole's been around for about 10 years in the UK music scene. She was a member of Girls Aloud and they had quite a few hits over there, although, in my opinion, Cheryl was one of the weaker singers in the group. She's also had a handful of hits of her two solo albums. Girls Aloud were a fun pop music group that was never released in the US probably because if the girl singing wasn't on some lame Disney channel show, the labels here can't be bothered. Sadly, the major labels as well as the large radio conglomerations (ie Clear Channels) won't play it unless the label pays so we're stuck with mediocre crap. If you want good music, you have to follow the European charts.

May 06 2011 at 12:49 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Cathy

WHO!! WELL CAN'T ANY WORST THAN THE JUDGES ON IDOL THIS YEAR, THOUGHT I WOULD NEVER SAY THIS, BUT SIMON PLEASE COME BACK, AT LEAST YOU TOLD THE TRUTH THE JUDGES THIS YEAR ARE SIMPLE TERRIBLE, GET A THOUGHT PEOPLE AND GO WITH IT, ALL THE KIDS ARE NOT GOOD ALL THE TIME AND WHATS WITH THE BACKGROUND SINGERS, YOU CAN BARELY HEAR THE REGULAR SINGERS, GO BACK TO THE OLD IDOL, JUST THEM AND THE MICROPHONE.

May 06 2011 at 12:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cmwoj1014

Never heard of her and I can't stand Nicole Scherzinger either.

May 06 2011 at 12:15 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mimsysc

okay, I am far from young, but the heck is cheryl cole? I do keep up with music,,,,

May 05 2011 at 10:13 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
champion castle

Never heard of her.

May 05 2011 at 10:13 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
cteckart

Who is Cheryl Cole?

May 05 2011 at 9:58 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Gail

Well, for sure I will not be watching - just like America's Got Talent, we're stuck with all foreign judges! Why can't an American show use Americans! This is just like all the jobs being farmed offshore!

May 05 2011 at 9:27 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply