October 2, 2014

'House' Faces Budget Cuts, Mark Burnett to Produce Emmys and More TV News

by Chris Harnick, posted May 5th 2011 2:30PM
HouseWhy is Fox waiting to renew 'House,' its top-rated drama? Well, the show needs to cut its budget by 20 percent.

According to Deadline, Fox is trying to cut the license fee with Universal Media Studios, attempting to bring each episode around the $5 million mark to produce.

However, UMS reportedly cannot produce 'House' in its current incarnation on just $5 million. The network and studio are not budging. 'House' brings in more than $1 billion in syndication, Fox license fees and international rights.

Cast members Lisa Edelstein, Robert Sean Leonard and Omar Epps are in talks to return for the eighth and possible final season. The trio make around $175,000 per episode and could see that and their episode order reduced. Hugh Laurie's $400,000 per episode salary will not be touched.

In other TV news ...

'The Wire' star Seth Gilliam will stop by 'The Good Wife.' Gilliam will appear in the season 2 finale as a man on trial for murdering a judge. [TVLine]

Mark Burnett will produce the Emmy Award ceremony on Fox. Burnett, who is an Emmy winner himself, has produced the MTV Movie Awards and People's Choice Awards. The ceremony will air on Sept. 18. [LA Times]

Former 'Doctor Who' star Christopher Eccleston will not return for a 50th anniversary special. Graham Norton asked Eccleston if he'd take part in any special, to which he responded "No. Never bathe in the same river twice." [Blastr]

licoriceval

Good thing Fox doesn't have to pay Charlie Sheen's salary. House is one of the very few shows on Fox that is worth that kind of money, and more. But what can you expect from Rupert Murdoch. Can you say "cheep?"

May 07 2011 at 10:02 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
manny4u2007

God forbid they should take it out of the Executive Producer's pay.

May 07 2011 at 10:02 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Greg

House is the best show running to be honest. I completely agree they need to get rid of some of this reality crap they keep putting on. I couldn't even make it through one full episode of "The Good Wife" because I thought it was quite boring.

May 07 2011 at 9:57 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
shari2nut

I enjoy House immensely! I watch all the reruns on the Bravo and ION channels. I watch Hawthorne, another medical drama, on TNT. I use to watch ER, but they took that off NBC; I no longer watch NBC. The FOX Network should watch what they do before they lose more viewers or goodbye to Fox too! I will continue to enjoy my favorite shows, but not on the over rated, competitive ABC, NBC, or FOX!!

May 07 2011 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
notanaxkiller

1 billion $ in syndication, and they are woried about 5 million$ per episode. LOL..They are cutting their own throat. Greed, and stupidty.

May 07 2011 at 9:55 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Kevin

charlie sheen makes 1 million per 30 min. show and hugh laurie only makes 400,000 per 1 hour show. theres something wrong there!

May 07 2011 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
walkingman50

Jouse has been my favorite show for years but recently it's slipped to second after Justified.

May 07 2011 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to walkingman50's comment
walkingman50

sorry House, I looked right at it and still didn't see the J. It's a bitch getting old.

May 07 2011 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pj3261

Minorities, especially Blacks, are always positioned below or in the back, and almost out of the picture. Note how his head is below everyone else. Also, House is an arrogant, egotistical, sarcastic, annoying, pompous ass.

May 07 2011 at 9:43 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to pj3261's comment
magnets558

House is an awesome show!!

May 07 2011 at 9:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sheryl McCurtis

Tell them to take the STICKING SHOW "THE GOOD WIFE" off of the other chanel and replace it with HOUSE.............. I would rather watch reruns of HOUSE (which I do), then 1 program of "THE GOOD WIFE"

May 07 2011 at 9:42 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply