April 23, 2014

Goodbye, 'General Hospital'; Hello, Katie Couric Talk Show?

by Chris Harnick, posted May 5th 2011 10:30AM
Katie CouricCould Katie Couric's potential new ABC talk show kill 'General Hospital'? That's the latest buzz.

According to TMZ, Couric is close to signing a $20 million deal with ABC. The new deal would entail ABC News and '20/20' specials, fill-in anchoring gigs and a syndicated one-hour talk show. The show would debut September 2012. If that deal happens, ABC is considering giving the hour of programming space 'General Hospital' now occupies back to its affiliates.

'General Hospital' is the third-longest-running soap on the air, and after January 2012, it will be the only soap on ABC. In April, ABC canceled 'One Life to Live' and 'All My Children.' The two soaps will be replaced by lifestyle/talk shows 'The Chew' and 'The Revolution.'

However, audience reaction to the new shows has been mixed, even before the premieres. Should one show fail, Couric's show could just slip into that programming slot.

Once everything is set, Couric would most likely be at the 3PM time slot, vying for the viewers of the departed 'Oprah Winfrey Show.'

Couric's talks with CBS have reportedly fallen apart
, with ABC offering her more of a presence across their network. The former 'Today' anchor will be leaving 'CBS Evening News' in June after five years on the job. She'll be replaced by Scott Pelley of '60 Minutes' fame.

The potential $20 million deal is for the first year of the talk show alone, Couric would be additionally compensated for her work on ABC News. Matt Lauer will reportedly not be part of Couric's potential talk show on ABC.

Tell us: Would you watch Katie Couric's talk show, even if it replaced 'General Hospital'?

Follow Chris Harnick on Twitter.

Jeanette A Brown

I will stop watching ABC all to gether I am 52 years old and started watching with my mother many many years ago a lot of the older generation live for their soaps and even make a point to be at home or things done before their shows come on you have taken away 2 ot their shows and I think it will be cruelty or abuse of the older generation. Soap operas are the only thing that make them feel alive again. Any where you go and talk to them they will tell every thing is done so they will not miss a second of their show. I agree it will be cruelty to others and again will not watch ABC again the last thing we need is another talk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 26 2012 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janet Matrai

I would not watch Katie,,, I love General Hospital, and even if I didn't. I am not a big fan of talk shows.... https://www.change.org/petitions/abc-television-to-leave-general-hospital-on-the-air

May 21 2012 at 9:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alcat1722

General Hospital is where I go to escape and have for many years!! It is my indulgence!! I have little interest in the shows that are on at this point so I can honestly say I will not replace GH with any other show!! GH is the one show that I watch and I always look forward to it!! I hope ABC makes a decision based on what the fans want because we have been loyal!! I have no interest in still another talk show!!

March 24 2012 at 6:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claire

I dxefinitely wont watch Katie Couric Show if GH is cancelled.I don;t watch the Chew nor will I watch revolution.(other than the first two sgows to check it out. Since the chew begab I only watched it about 3 tines9& only partially.GH held my interes\t for over 30 years.

December 09 2011 at 3:24 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Who wants to listen to Couric? I am sure CBS was glad to get ride of her.
ABC is for the birds. If the soaps had been on FOX they would never have been axed.

December 01 2011 at 2:23 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Felicia Tripodi

This is not good! I've just recentley started watching GH and Katie Couric taking over their time slot is wrong! Hopefully that show The Chew will get cancelled and her show can be it's time slot rather than GH's. ABC should think of this carefully because, from what I've heard, they lost a lot of viewers after All My Children got axed and if they take away General Hospital, the mother of all Soaps, they will for sure kick themselves for it because NO ONE will watch their pathetic channel. How many freaking cooking and news shows does this world need? I'm still very much mad at them for cancelling Ugly Betty and V. I will pray that GH will stay on for a little longer. Katie Couric belongs on CBS and should stay there! Although I do agree with some people that GH could fix their storylines a little bit...

November 07 2011 at 8:42 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Alisha Wisenbaker An

no i would not watch the talk show you should just leave general hospital on or you could put something else then a talk show on the air how about a cooking show now i would watch that and you can still have the chew but i mean that they can show you how to cook the stuff and you can cook along with the show if you have the stuff thats all just an idea

November 07 2011 at 7:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle

If General Hospital goes off the air, I will never watch ABC again! I have already stopped watching everything on abc except the soaps. I can't believe they are taking the soaps off the air for food shows and another news show. Food shows belong on the food network, we have enough of them on tv as it is, and way too much news. I can't even watch the news anymore, it's depressing! The soaps were entertaining, new episodes everyday, a nice escape from reality. It's like a therapy session. Not all people that watch soaps sit at home all day, I have been watching them since I was a child, my great grandparents used to watch them. I watching them while in school, college and work. I tape them when I can't watch them. And for the stay at home mom's out there, it's a nice escape/break to watch them. Raising children is the hardest job out there, and you don't get a paycheck for it!

September 30 2011 at 9:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
las12567

If General Hospital goes off the air I will have no more reason to watch ABC at all!!! ABC is already taking off the soaps that I have been watching all my life!!!!

September 09 2011 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura Iacona

I hope that ABC loses Money with these new shows replacing our beloved soaps. And if General Hospital is cancelled, I will no longer have any reason to tune into ABC again.

September 08 2011 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply