October 21, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Betty White Fondly Recalls Marriage to Allen Ludden (VIDEO)

by Donald Deane, posted May 6th 2011 12:45PM
Betty White Fondly Recalls Marriage to Allen LuddenBetty White's first two marriages may have initially soured her to the idea of getting hitched again. But, marrying third husband Allen Ludden in 1963 turned out to be one of the best decisions of her life. And, if given the opportunity, White would do it all over again, she said on 'The Joy Behar Show' (weeknights, 10PM ET on HLN).

When asked to choose one thing in her life she would gladly do again, White answered without hesitation, "Marry Allen Ludden. No two ways about that. He was something special."

According to White, she resisted marrying Ludden at first. "I knew I was never going to get married again, ever. I wasted a whole year Allen and I could have been together saying, 'No, I won't marry you. No, I won't move to New York.' But, it worked," she said.

Ludden died in 1981 from stomach cancer, only three days from their 18th wedding anniversary.

bmitche

Betty found a true love. Don't forget Allen Ludden. You can't have a great marrage without a good man.

May 07 2011 at 3:12 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Widows Stilettos

To whomever wrote the headline for this piece: A deceased spouse does NOT make them "former". The proper terminology is "late". Not the best reference, but it's all we have. Do you have any idea how many people are hurt when hearing their deceased spouse referred to as "former"? No one divorced or broke up with anyone. Don't insult a widow/er by referring to their late spouse as "former". http://widowswearstilettos.blogspot.com/2011/03/ex-does-not-mark-spot.html

May 07 2011 at 2:36 PM Report abuse +11 rate up rate down Reply
Reen

Oh, and btw, we did NOT accept the "till death do you part" thing...not in our "regular" wedding or our later handfasting...nope. We chose carefully and we're forever. It's a great comfort now that I'm going it alone for the rest of this lifetime. I don't mind, because I had the best.

May 07 2011 at 2:21 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
Reen

I love Betty White...and she will never know it, but she inadvertently taught me a lot about how to handle widowhood with good grace, while the heart continues breaking on a daily basis. It took me three tries to marry the right one, too...and we only had six years together, but oh, my, for the first time I was really happy. Nice that Ms. White shows the way...I'm widowed, older (never MIND) and sassy as can be, too, largely because she taught me it was ok to let the real me out!

May 07 2011 at 2:16 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
acmeracing

Suggestion: change the headline to "Late husband". What they had was rare, especially in Hollywood.

May 07 2011 at 1:58 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
Sally

Betty White is a wonderful lady! We all love her. I had the privledge of eating dinner with her and Allan Luden as a teenager. I went to High School with her step daughter, Martha, and would love to reconnect with Martha someday. Betty White was a fantastic step- Mom. I believe the first Mrs. Luden had passed away as Mr. Ludden was raising the children. God Bless her!

May 07 2011 at 1:27 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
braydover

thumbs up for betty

May 07 2011 at 1:18 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
jmslotnick

What a joy to find someone who loved only one man and believed in the death do us part words in the wedding ceremony. I remember when Allen Ludden and Betty White were married and how much in love they were. Betty White is a perfect example of a good, kind and loving woman. She has stayed true to him to this day.
There seem to be no more of those kind of marriages in LaLa land with the younger generation of people.

May 07 2011 at 12:35 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
tenaclark

I love Betty White. She is so fortunate to have had a true love like Allen.

May 07 2011 at 12:11 PM Report abuse +7 rate up rate down Reply
tstir1995

Betty White is great....its interesting that HuffPost picked the Joy Behar show to profile her. Could it be that Joy needs the ratings?

May 07 2011 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply