October 1, 2014

'Stargate Universe': David Blue & Brad Wright on the Finale & Future of 'Stargate'

by Mike Moody, posted May 9th 2011 11:00AM
It's a sad day for 'Stargate' fandom. After only two seasons, the third series from the sci-fi franchise, 'Stargate Universe,' is coming to an end.

The cancellation of 'SGU' leaves the TV landscape without a 'Stargate' show for the first time in 14 years. The series finale, titled 'Gauntlet,' airs tonight (Mon., May 9, 9PM ET on Syfy).

'Stargate Universe'
'SGU' experienced a creative upswing in its second season, but the show fell victim to low ratings following Syfy's decision to move it from Fridays (AKA, nerd TV night) to Tuesdays last October.

Still, it's hard to pin down exactly what led to the show's cancellation. Perhaps a better timeslot, a more profitable year for cash-strapped studio MGM, or a more patient audience could've saved the moody, ultra-serialized 'SGU' from the chopping block.

But there's still one more hour of spacefaring fun to be had with Eli, Rush and the rest of the Destiny crew before 'SGU' flies away from our TV screens forever.

Tonight's series finale ends on what could be described as a cliffhanger, but the episode offers an appropriate sense of finality while also staying true to the show's spirit of exploration (both personal and the "final frontier" kind).

'SGU' co-creator Brad Wright and star David Blue chatted with AOL TV recently about the series finale, the cancellation and about that rumored 'Stargate' TV movie.

About the Finale
stargate-universe-s02e20The cast and crew of 'SGU' wrapped filming on the current season before learning of the show's cancellation. But Wright says he crafted 'Gauntlet' to work as both a season finale and as a series finale.

The episode's ending would have led into "a great opener for season three," Wright said. "But when we saw the Tuesday night ratings on Syfy, we knew it might be the end," he added, saying tonight's episode brings the series "full circle" and features elements that "make it feel like a finale."

'Gauntlet,' which pits Destiny against the sly, tech-eating Drones, features a few shining moments for Blue's slacker-genius character Eli Wallace.

"I'm really proud of how I feel about Eli having now finished the show," said Blue about Eli's arc in the finale. "I'm really proud of where he grew to and where he went, and I would love to see it further, but, to me, it was a cool place to end it."

Blue, who says he still sleeps in Eli's 'You Are Here' T-shirt, promised that the under-confident character would start "stepping up and speaking up" in tonight's episode.

"I feel like he's really trying to find his inner confidence, and you'll see that, I hope."

When asked about the show's conclusion, which leaves the door wide open for a third season and is sure to leave fans with more than a few questions, Blue said, "At the end of the day I'm happy with it, because it makes me feel like the 'Stargate' universe continues on."

Wright, who revealed that he had crafted a five-year plan for 'SGU,' admitted that saying goodbye to the show wasn't easy.

"Nobody on the crew or in the cast wanted it to be the end. But we knew if it was, it was a fitting end. And I think the final shots of the series are very moving," he said.

What about that TV movie?
sgu-gauntletLast month, Wright announced that a planned 'SGU' TV movie was no longer in the works.

Wright revealed to AOL TV that the movie would have combined elements and characters from all three 'Stargate' shows, including 'Stargate: SG-1' and 'Stargate Atlantis,' to tell one big, super 'Stargate' story.

"I intended to incorporate elements from both 'SG-1' and 'Atlantis' to make it a 'Stargate' movie and not just a 'Universe' movie," he said. "The combination of elements also happened to be the only way I could think of compressing what was intended to be a longer series arc into one movie."

Blue, a fan of all three 'Stargate' shows, said he was looking forward to the TV movie, as it represented a chance for fans of all three shows to unite in support of a new 'Stargate' project.

"I feel like it would have made a lot of the fans of each series happy all at the same time, which is something I think this franchise has been missing," Blue said about the proposed movie. "I hate to see a schism in fandom, but it seems to be happening more and more these days ... It would have been nice to see everybody congeal and come together in support of one thing."

Is this really the end of 'Stargate'?
The show's cancellation and the death of the movie project still stings for both Wright and Blue. For Wright, the end of the show also means the end of a 14-year career as a writer and producer of 'Stargate.'

"I feel proud," Wright said about the 14 years and 17 seasons of 'Stargate' he's leaving behind. "But I'd by lying if I didn't say it's a shame 'SGU' was canceled. It deserved at least a final season, and where we were going with the story was very cool.

"Shepherding the final episodes through the post-production process, sitting in mixes, etc, I kept thinking to myself This show got canceled? But business is business. And as I said to our crewmembers as we said our final goodbyes recently, 'Time to start typing something else.'"

When pressed to speculate on the future of the franchise, Wright said that studio MGM would most likely bring it back at some point, but he admitted that he was unsure if he would be asked to be a part of 'Stargate' again.

"It's MGM's property. I was just a participant," Wright said. "If they brought it back, I'm not sure if they would get the guy who created the last one that got canceled!"

Blue said that the future held big things for the Destiny crew, especially for Eli, whose personal journey was arguably the heart of the show.

"Would I prefer we were doing more seasons or a few movies? Hell yes!," said Blue.

"But I hope people will continue to watch it. I hope that, a few years down the line, somebody will tell me they just discovered the DVD and they fell in love with the show," he continued.

"I think we told some cool stories. I think we really existed in the 'Stargate' world. And, with the way things end up [in the series finale], I really feel like it's going to continue in the hearts and imaginations of the fans."

Watch a preview of tonight's 'Stargate Universe'
series finale here:

Follow @mikemoody on Twitter.

Thomas Pütz

I want Syfy to bleed for hat. Futurama and other shows were resurrected only by fan power. We can do that, too. Join Facebook and for once use the huge power of Facebook for somtehing good and join all groups intended to save SG(U) and to sabotage Syfy. Im not American, but please sabotage Syfy, return your cable boxes etc………..

May 15 2011 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
klistohuskerfan

TO ALL STARGATE SGU (as well as SG-1 & SGA) Fans: If you want to save the Show and / or ANY CHANCE of Movies/ Mini-series wrap-ups for ANY OR ALL STARGATE SERIES, check out this link for a GREAT set of Ideas on how to save our blessed Stargate Universe / Shows future!!!

May 14 2011 at 4:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Moneyisn'teverything

I was just wondering if it is at all possible to turn the SG series.. all three of them... into novels.... that way the devoted fans can at least see the genius that the writers created for our eyes to watch. I had a little cry when I saw the series finale of SGU. The story was just beginning and it was a shame that it was cut short before the good stuff came to. PLEASE WRITE THE BOOKS!!!

Love a devoted fan!

May 11 2011 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BladeRuner241

I would first like to thank SG-1/ SG-A/ SG-U Crew and staff for doing a great job in expand it with SG franchise shows/movies and now SGU (15 years loyal viewer).
SyFy network need to nurture this franchisee (SGU) because you will lose me as a viewer by canceling arguably one of the best sci-fi show second to only stark trek (BSG have to include them as well) I had always look forward to see SGU every week, yes I know there were improvement needed (most of it was a matter pushing it with the SG-1 viewer) and money issues but if you keep taking away what made me watch you in the first place why should I come to your channel?
Now I have to do with Dr. Who, don't get me wrong it is a nice show (different) but a bit too over acted but it is not on your network) and Fringe since some one in FOX actually had a good idea as well as those other BBC show you bring over (BH).
As sweet as the final moments of this series are, there is a certain bitter aftertaste too (please don’t let it end this way). We'll never know what happened to these wonderfully complex and well-developed characters and that is quite a shame.
I want to stay tune to network don’t push me away.
Again Thank you to all that work in SG to make possible one of the best science fiction shows.

May 11 2011 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jpdotoli

Loved this show. I cant believe the bastards cancelled it. That finale sucked as a series finale. Worst finale I have ever seen for a series, yet woulda been cool as a season finale! Shame on you MGM for cancelling a great show. I hope they bring it back.

May 11 2011 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roberto San Martin

I can't believe the BEST Stargate show ever got cancalled! The characters were so deep and complex!

It's such a shame... I totally hate SyFy! And those crappy shows they spend money on! Like Destination Sucks, Suckstuary, and those shitty shows!

May 11 2011 at 9:09 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Benji

I've watched every episode of Stargate and I've got most of the seasons on DVD. I think it's a real shame the show has been cancelled.
I really hope one day they will continue SGU and finish the SGA movie.
Stargate is the reason that I watch science fiction.

May 11 2011 at 6:29 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Benji

I really hope one day they will continue SGU and finish the SGA movie.
Stargate is the reason that I watch science fiction.

May 11 2011 at 6:27 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Lonnie Duke

enough criticsm ! i also like the book idea . gateworld has a plan that will begin soon . as i understood it they will be taking comments on the stagate sg-1 series which they will be starting from the first episode and then fans e-mailing comment's about shows assigned for that month . it will takes some time and maybe before they get to the final episode a new stargate series will be back on another network .

May 11 2011 at 3:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lonnie Duke

i will try to "rate" the SGU characters , if anyone else wants to add a comment your welcome ! (again , these ratings are about the storyline characters and not the actors ) . dr. nicholas rush : 8 , but very misunderstood
col. everett young : 8.5 ,a leader who was meager at times
eli wallace : a lazy computer game kid who flunked out at
MIT .this was NOT dr. daniel jackson and had NO value at
all to the true ancient storyline the fans wanted .

May 11 2011 at 3:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply