July 30, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Jennifer Lopez Sizes Up the Remaining Contestants on 'American Idol' (VIDEO)

by Donald Deane, posted May 10th 2011 11:05AM
Jennifer Lopez Sizes Up the Remaining Contestants on 'American Idol'Current and former 'American Idol' judges Jennifer Lopez and Ellen DeGeneres bonded over the difficulty of critiquing contestants week after week. But, Lopez strives to give constructive criticism to help propel hopefuls on to the finale, she said on 'The Ellen DeGeneres Show' (weekdays, syndicated).

"What I try to do is really think, like, 'Okay, I know this person wants to get to the finals. So, what can I give them right now that's going to help them be better for next time?'" she said.

Lopez resisted making a prediction as to who would win the singing competition. Instead, she praised each of the remaining contestants. "James [Durbin] and Haley [Reinhart], those voices are out of this world," she said. "James' performance quality is peaking, but so is Scotty [McCreary's]. And then you have Lauren [Alaina], who has just, like, an angel voice with all this character."

Visit 'The Ellen DeGeneres Show' here.

NANCY

I think Kristie Alley is amazing! PPL are trying to tumble her down, but she's not budging. I'm
so happy for her. I've found a new respect for her as I sit in disbelief as she works hard and is
just as good as the other contestants. Unlike one of the contestants of last season that was
making it because her mother made her do it. So keep up the good work Kristy!! I'll be voting
for you and I hope Ellen has you on here when you win. You have been a great inspiration to
me as I am 55 and trying to reclaim my life right now. Lots of Us Love You!! We have a fan Club
going in my neighborhood.

May 10 2011 at 1:58 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
BarbaraHall

In my humble opinion, Scotty is the one with the beautiful voice. I could listen to him sing all day and all night.
James is a good heavy metal performer but one can listen to that only so much. Yep, I'm a grandma.

May 10 2011 at 1:56 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
BarbaraHall

Steven is kind as well. Randy has been telling them all they are "in it to win it." I worry that someone might take it too seriously and be devastated if they don't win.

May 10 2011 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BarbaraHall

May 10 2011 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BarbaraHall

I think Jennifer gives good advice to the contestants and she has a kind heart.

May 10 2011 at 12:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
BarbaraHall

I think Jennifer gives good advice to the contestants and she has a kind heart.

May 10 2011 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BarbaraHall

I think Jennifer gives good advice to the contestants and she has a kind heart.

May 10 2011 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply