July 23, 2014

Fox Pilots: What Did the Network Pick up for the 2011-2012 Season?

by Jean Bentley, posted May 11th 2011 12:00PM
Geoff StultsBy now you've read about last night's Fox bloodbath, during which the network canceled five of its bubble shows to make room for new series.

So what, exactly, will fill those now-vacant time slots? Here's a rundown of the pilots The Hollywood Reporter says are a go.

The most notable (and inevitable) pickup is J.J. Abrams' 'Alcatraz,' about the storied San Francisco prison. There's also scientists and a time warp involved, naturally. 'Lost' vet Jorge Garcia stars in the crime drama, which somehow involves prisoners from the 1960s appearing in the present day.

Also on the list is the 'Bones' spinoff 'The Finder,' starring Geoff Stults as a person who's really, really good at finding things (people, possessions, etc.). The Florida Keys-set series could take the place of its predecessor while 'Bones' star Emily Deschanel is out on maternity leave later this year.

Speaking of Deschanel, her little sister, Zooey, stars in another new pickup. 'The New Girl' follows a quirky teacher (the younger Deschanel) who moves in with three eccentric guys. We're presuming hijinks will ensue.

The fourth Fox pickup is the Jamie Pressly-starring comedy 'I Hate My Teenage Daughter.' Pressly and Katie Finneran play women whose daughters are just like the mean girls who made their lives hell in high school.

And what of the other promising pilots Fox had in contention for the 2011-2012 series?

The buzzed-about comic book adaptation 'Locke & Key' is officially dead, as is the Lauren Ambrose-starring 'Weekends at Bellevue.' Also out are 'Iceland,' 'Outnumbered,' 'Council of Dads' and 'Tagged.'

Tell us: Which new series has you most intrigued? Are you bummed about any of the pilots that won't come to fruition?

sharp393

All of you that just watched the back-door pilot of The Finder you should've watched the actual show because it was Amazing.. so you shouldn't complain about a show, you haven't watched by the way they got rid of saffron burrows and the replacement was much much better,. too late you lost your chance to watch a great great show. I only hope USA network picks it up,no thanks to ya'll...

May 10 2012 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eddie

It really is too bad because I wasn't crazy about The Finder. When my husband and I watched it, he kept saying this was going to be a spinoff of Bones and I kept saying, they wouldn't do such a terrible thing. Guess they would. We really liked Chicago Code. Before the announcement from Fox yesterday, I had read last week that Chicago Code was signed up for another year. Big mistake not keeping it. We also liked Human Target, it was finally coming into its own this season.

May 17 2011 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Teresa

Just don't get rid of bones its the only thing i watch on fox .I will check out the spin off The Finder ! Everyone needs to watch bones its the best !!!!! I hope that the spin off is half as good .

May 17 2011 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mama

Dear FOX. Your network consists (consisted) of only one good show...Hell's Kitchen. You are getting by with American Idol, whose ratings keep dwindling with the lack of worthy talent (last good winner was Kris Allen in Season 8).

Mark Valley is awesome and Bret Harrison is a funny, funny actor. They both deserve better.

May 11 2011 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mama

Fox...you are consistently boring. I hope you've at least kept Hell's Kitchen. That's about the only good show you have left. Mark Valley of Human Target and Bret Harrelson of Breaking In...deserve better.

May 11 2011 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mkscorpion3283

I'll say it again. The cancelation of the Chicago Code SUCKS.

May 11 2011 at 4:33 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
K.V.C

Having watched the Finder episode of Bones, I cannot believe FOX would get rid of Chicago Code and pick this up. It was a horror (despite Michael Clarke Duncan) especially Saffron Burrows.

May 11 2011 at 4:02 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Marie

I am very bummed that :OUTNUMBERED" wasn't picked up. Crazy, such a great lineup. What Happened.. is my question?

May 11 2011 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hello Joe

really sick of reality shows will not even turn them on!!!!

May 11 2011 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cmcyclist

I won't be watching any of them. They sound awful and I am frankly done trying out new network offerings. I am sick of reality shows, cop procedurals and crap sitcoms. There appears to be no new ideas and those that are come from over-rated creators like JJ Abrams. No thanks to any of it.

I'll simply find books to read, discover Dr. Who, watch any drama on USA and wait for the next season of Justified, Archer and Supernatural.

May 11 2011 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply