July 31, 2014

NBC Close to Renewing 'Chuck' for Season 5

by Jean Bentley, posted May 12th 2011 5:10AM
ChuckWas it the Subway sandwiches that did it in the end? Somewhat surprisingly, it seems as though reports of 'Chuck's demise may have been premature.

According to TVLine, NBC is currently finalizing a deal to bring the fan favorite back for at least 13 more episodes this fall.

Although there's been no word yet from NBC, the network is expected to announce the new series order Sunday.

After four years of so-so ratings it was widely expected that 'Chuck' would be cancelled, and fans have been bracing themselves for the worst.

The spy series' loyal fan base launched a "save our show" campaign encouraging people to eat at Subway, one of the show's sponsors. Star Zachary Levi even got in on the act and actually stopped by a Subway to make some $5 footlongs for fans.

Now gaining a reputation as one of the luckiest shows around, 'Chuck' is a perennial bubble show that so far has managed to survive an aborted first season during the Great Writers Strike of '08 and has then gone on to last at least three more seasons. Plus, our hero and his beautiful CIA agent crush are getting hitched at the end of this season. Not too shabby!

Still, the TV landscape will be a little more fun with Charles Carmichael and the Castle crew around.

Tell us: Are you happy to see 'Chuck' go on? Or has the show run its course?

For a complete list of canceled and returning shows, check out our handy guide.

Follow Jean on Twitter @hijean

socmom213

Chuck is my favorite TV show. I am happy to see it renewed for the 5th season. I too hope Chuck makes it to 100th episode and even more.

May 12 2011 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lauren

I am very excited by this news. Even if it is a shorten season, I just hope it gets to 100 episode. For a bubble show, it would be huge,

May 12 2011 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
EuropaE

I'm happy "Chuck" may get renewed. I don't watch the show as much, or as tentatively, as I use to (many Monday nights it's just on as "background noise") but since I'm not a Nielsen family my "vote" doesn't really count.

Although the show does have a loyal fan base I think the real reason NBC may possibly renew the show is because as "bad" as "Chuck's" ratings are, they're better than many of NBC's other shows they had high hopes for at the beginning of the season, i.e. "The Event," "Chase," "LOLA," "The Undercovers," "Harry’s Law" (although, I think that may get renewed as well), etc., etc., etc. NBC has to grade on a curve these days – they don’t really have any ‘A’ students in terms of ratings. Since "Chuck" has been in production for a couple of seasons it might just be cheaper for NBC to keep it than to have yet one more spot to fill come fall.

May 12 2011 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rustysmitty

I agree with Micah. I'd love to see NBC as a tribute to its loyal fan base announce that the show will be picked up for a full and final 24 episode season 5 so we can get a real ending to the show. Heck even if it's a half season make it the final season. Not the usual cliffhanger that we get every year. We all know the ratings aren't likely to get any better. Just give us some closure that we can feel at peace with for the storyline.

May 12 2011 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrea Muse

This is by far my favorite show. I really hope they renew for a new season!

May 12 2011 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Micah

I think that Chuck deserves a real ending. Josh Schwartz has been hanging on by the skin of his teeth for 3 seasons now. I think it would be a service to his fans to end the show before it gets cancelled.

So, I hope that Chuck gets renewed for another season, but with the clear understanding that it only has 13/24 more episodes to wrap things up.

May 12 2011 at 6:41 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply