November 23, 2014

ABC Cancels 'Brothers & Sisters,' 'V,' 'Off the Map,' 'No Ordinary Family' & More, Renews 'Happy Endings,' 'Body of Proof'

by Jean Bentley, posted May 13th 2011 4:20PM
V, ABCThat thunderous pop you just head was the sound of ABC dropping pretty much every single one of its bubble shows at once.

The network has reportedly canceled most of its lowest-rated series, including veterans 'Brothers & Sisters' and 'V' as well as newbies 'Off the Map,' 'No Ordinary Family,' 'Detroit 187,' 'Better With You' and 'Mr. Sunshine.'

Though it was speculated recently that 'Brothers & Sisters' could get an abridged season pickup, it turns out that star Rachel Griffiths' jokes about being unemployed are true after all. The fifth season -- now series -- finale aired last Sunday night.

Meanwhile, the second season (and now series) finale of 'V' aired back in March.

As for the five freshmen series, none of them made a big enough impression, ratings-wise, for ABC to justify keeping them on the schedule (although 'Better With You' did make an impressive last-minute push with a 19 percent increase in ratings for the season finale).

On a brighter note, those seven vacant slots on the schedule have made room for ABC to pick up nine new shows, including a 'Charlie's Angels' reboot, a new Tim Allen sitcom, 'Good Christian Bitches' (now 'Good Christian Belles') and more. The network has also renewed 'Shark Tank' for a third season.

And then there's the two newbie shows that did make it -- the comedy 'Happy Endings' and drama 'Body of Proof.' Both shows haven't been the highest rated, but the buzz (and genuine hilarity) surrounding 'Happy Endings' and the strong cast of 'Body of Proof' (anchored by Dana Delany and Jeri Ryan) seemed to help save them for a second season.

Tell us: Which canceled ABC show will you miss most?

ira-babak@mail.ru

Верните сериал V!!! зачем закрывать такой хороший сериал?

April 10 2012 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chino.baboa

V CANCELLED?

They can't afford to make the series. Hope SY-FY will pick it up or look for it on the BIG SCREEN. Someone will make it!

February 15 2012 at 5:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smeasel2

V cancelled. I am so tired of ABC doing this. I see they have a new show called "The River" starting, and I am afraid to begin watching it in fear that they will do the same thing. I think I will just wait and catch episodes on the internet to see if it will last. I do not want to invest my time in another V.

February 03 2012 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
man-on-a-mission

I have been waiting for a while for V to restart now I final see it was cancelled...ABC is a joke...this on top of OLTL getting cut show they have some really special people making decisions there......by the way...The Chew....really...

January 29 2012 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TeresaC

It is getting to where I don't even watch ABC anymore. Everytime I start watching a show on this network they wind up cancelling the show and then I'm left hanging. It really is getting sad when I can't watch a show without having to worry if it is going to be on the next week or next season.

January 15 2012 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meg Taylor

I cannot believe "V' was cancelled!!!! We were just getting to more good stuff. I'm very sad. Why would ABC cancel V, they have great ratings. =(

January 12 2012 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GLORIA DEAN

dang V was cancelled!!!!!!!!!! I am so bummed

Please Bring it back

January 09 2012 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gkguava

PLEASE ABC BRING V BACK. IT WAS MY FAVORITE SHOW IT WAS SO CREATIVE AND ADDICTIVE. #MISSINGV

January 09 2012 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JayMon

Please, please, please put V back on

January 09 2012 at 7:46 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Jason

I didn't watch ANY show on ABC (since the 1980's) until the revival of V. ABC made a huge mistake canceling this show. Paramount cancelled a lowly rated show in 1969 called Star Trek...whatever become of that show? It is my hope that ABC would at least sell the show...hopefully to the SyFy Channel where the show would be appreciated.

December 29 2011 at 3:55 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply