July 31, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

'American Idol' Top Three Revealed: Who Was Eliminated? (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted May 13th 2011 12:31AM
Steven Tyler, Jennifer Lopez, Randy Jackson, 'American Idol'Top Four has been an odd time in 'American Idol' (Thu., 8PM ET on FOX) history. As Ryan Seacrest pointed out at the close of the performance episode, it was at this point in the competition that Chris Daughtry was eliminated back in Season 5.

Other fourth-place finishers include Tamyra Gray, Josh Gracin, LaToya London, Jason Castro and Allison Iraheta, so it doesn't mean the end of the road. Sure, only Daughtry came out of it with a monster career so far, but many of these people have been able to go on and make music their career in some way.

Girls were the first five eliminated, but since then Lauren and Haley have outlasted four guys in a row. Could they continue their streak and send Scotty or James home, or would the boys make a comeback. It's such a tight field this season, it was difficult to predict what might happen.

!!SPOILER ALERT!!

Lauren was the first sent to safety, leaving Haley to sweat it out next to the boys who've never even seen the Bottom Two or Three. Haley's been there four times.

But then Ryan Seacrest declared that there would be two girls in the Top Three, sending Haley to safety and America torn. Are we to lose the metal rocker or the country prodigy?

It turns out being young and adorable still holds some weight, along with his almost flawless country vocals. Scotty made it in there and America had to say goodbye to James Durbin.

"I did so much stuff that's never been done on this show before," he said of his metal and hard rock stage performances. Truly, James left his mark on 'American Idol.' Now, he can move on to leave his mark on the music industry.

Maybe he'll found a band and name it his last name and we'll all watch as Durbin shoots to the top of the charts.

Were you surprised by this result? Who do you think will win 'Idol'?

John Javier

Cowboy is the best.

May 20 2011 at 12:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cmoody1054

James should not have been voted off. So much talent

May 15 2011 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
HaleysShindig

I wonder if it is possible in these days of social media to simply say "I feel bad my favorite, James, didn't get enough votes to stay on AI. I wish the rest of the remaining contestants best of luck!" Instead of being ugly and down right rude to the other contestants. Is that really too much to ask?

May 15 2011 at 6:21 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to HaleysShindig's comment
youtubedarling2

Apparently, it is. Everywhere I look, all these disturbingly negative & at times, downright derogatory comments abound. There seems to be too many ppl way too frequently just carelessly abusing their "rights" to "free speech" and instead spewing out endless "HATE speech"; it's really just depressing to see there are such cruel or even just clueless ppl out there in the world, interacting with others, possibly even spreading their negativity onto younger, more impressionable souls (whether online or in real life). Gah.

I may not love all of their voices, but the 2011 Idols all seem like honestly great, kind-hearted & humble ppl & to accuse them of anything otherwise, just because you do not like their sounds or you want to crucify them for getting more votes than your own precious favorites, especially when you don't even kno them, makes YOU all seem like the really conceited, bitchy, snobby ones. How about learning something called respect.. and decency.. fairness.. consideration of others.. discretion (holding back rude & inappropriate thoughts & feelings when it's necessary- such as in being in public forums, etc).. seriously. xoxoxo

May 26 2011 at 8:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
SimbiAni

May 26 2011 at 8:32 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
ladyp38

I would have been so happy if Haley would have gone. She is a brat that thinks she is all that. I wish Simon would have been there, unlike Steven Tyler, he would have sent her walking the way she talked to a Judge - Randy Jackson, he told her like it was for her own good, I say get her off, what kind of Idol would she be? An egotistic brat. She was judged just like she was all year, she should never have gotten that far. She was screaming on the Michael Jackson song, which was awful. Randy is trained, she isn't. Lauren is so nice and polite, eh would never have talked back. I hope she or Scotty win, they are appreciative and respectful. I saw get Haley off that show!!!!!! I would never buy any of her records for sure.

May 14 2011 at 2:26 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ladyp38's comment
Pete

yep well too bad haley will get crowned season 10 winner
and you will be the same old person save your breathe

May 14 2011 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morgs

I am SO SICK of everyone dissing Haley and calling her a "spoiled brat," "b****" or whatever. If you would've watched the whole season you'd know that she was constantly getting dogged for her performances, and very few of the comments were "constructive criticism." You can NOT sit there and tell me you wouldn't have shown ANY attitude if you got that when none of the other contestants got it despite James' sharp high notes (not saying Haley always sings right on pitch, but he never got called out for it), or Scotty's same ol' same ol'. Lauren got some criticism which wasn't even that bad, and she was kinda pouty for a few weeks and said all she was taking was the negative and it really affected her performances for a couple weeks. She played it safe and did nothing spectacular. And her crying when she was in the bottom for the first time, everyone justified it because of her age. Don't get me wrong, I like Lauren, but she threw a fit too she just wasn't as vocal about it. Haley stood up for herself and more or less just disagreed on the way Randy thought she should have ended it and with them on the song choice. I'm pretty sure James argued with Jimmy on a song choice and acted like he knew better...but did he get called out on that? I think all these kids have good voices, no doubt, and I wouldn't say any of them suck, but you all constantly say Haley sucks. If you don't like her tone/style/rasp/growl etc. then so be it, not everyone likes the same stuff, that's why there are so many genres of music, but she doesn't suck. People obviously love her voice enough to vote her in this far. If you don't like her, that's fine, but don't sit on your computer and spew hate about people you don't even know. If you know so much about music and have such an ear for correct pitch and so forth, get out of that chair, get into the music biz and show everyone what you "know." Otherwise, keep your petty, childish comments to yourself.

May 14 2011 at 6:05 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Morgs's comment
Pete

morgs i feel you 100% not cause im a haley fan and all but how people talk bad about others... starting to think what this world is coming to america and the world look what we are ending up to with social networking..... its not even criticism its harsh behavior and very much un called for

May 14 2011 at 12:18 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mjvlunchlady175

James I loved the way you sing never stop go for the moon and beyond. Something is wrong with the voting because Hailey should be out not you. She and Kelly will not go that far.

May 13 2011 at 5:36 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
kwangadang

Good luck James as far as I'm concerned you are the American Idol, Haley is a spoiled brat, Lauren has a great voice but to young and insecure and Scotty well I hope he wins but I feel hes a little to into himself now (fame going to his head a little.)

May 13 2011 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dafnnetto

Scotty has a career but I can't stand to watch him sing and make those faces. He comes across as arrogant whether he is or not. I also think the people who are voting for him are teenagers and adults who never heard much country radio. He's not unique, but when he quit copying Josh Turner it was a big improvement. Haley is a great jazz singer but she doesn't have a direction. Lauren finally hit the high notes. James was robbed but maybe the fact he didn't win will give him fame slowly and not break up his relationship with the mother of his child.

May 13 2011 at 2:04 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Lori

I was surprised by the outcome of last nights elimination. I have watched Idol every season but this year has been so different. I am shocked at Haley being in the top 3, she surely did not deserve it. I didn't care for James screechy voice but he should of been in it another week. The judges played favorites with Pia, Casey and James. They should of criticized them when they needed it. Simon would told the truth for sure. Most of the middle aged generation are not into that screaming heavy metal music. Lauren and Scotty have a great career ahead of them and don't have an attitude like their sh.. don't stink! Scotty congrats because you are the American Idol! Has anyone voted and got the message thanks for voting for a contestant they didn't? Happened to me 5 times this year, I think the voting system is rigged.

May 13 2011 at 1:21 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
jkhair2002

I am so upset over James being voted off I don't think I will American Idol anymore

May 13 2011 at 1:14 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply