August 22, 2014

It's Official: Ashton Kutcher Joins 'Two and a Half Men,' Vows to Entertain Us

by Chris Harnick, posted May 13th 2011 1:10PM
Ashton KutcherAshton Kutcher has officially signed on to replace Charlie Sheen on CBS's 'Two and a Half Men,' the network made the announcement today.

"I can't wait to get to work with this ridiculously talented '2.5' team and I believe we can fill the stage with laughter that will echo in viewers' homes," Kutcher said in a statement. "I can't replace Charlie Sheen but I'm going to work my a** off to entertain the hell out of people!"

Chuck Lorre, creator and executive producer of 'Two and a Half Men' sang the 'That 70s Show' veteran's praises via a written statement.

"We are so lucky to have someone as talented, joyful and just plain remarkable as Ashton joining our family," Lorre said. "Added to that is the deep sigh of relief knowing that our family stays together. If I was any happier, it'd be illegal."

Kutcher will join veteran 'Men' players Holland Taylor, Angus T. Jones and Jon Cryer when the show returns this fall.

"Ashton is a pop culture triple threat -- film star, cutting-edge producer and a social media pioneer," Nina Tassler, president of CBS Entertainment said in a statement. "He brings creativity, energy and personality to everything he touches. We are thrilled to have him, and excited beyond words for what he brings to the next season of 'Two and a Half Men.'

The first rumors about Kutcher's involvement with the series broke on May 12.

Charlie Sheen was fired from 'Two and a Half Men' earlier this year. Prior to Kutcher signing on, Hugh Grant was reportedly in talks to join the series, but the negotiations broke down. Hollywood rumors suggest Grant wasn't comfortable with the TV production schedule.

Tell us: Do you think Ashton Kutcher is the right actor to replace Charlie Sheen?

elementaal

use this time to also replace that talentless jerk who plays Jake. He was cute as a small child...but can't act worth beans

May 23 2011 at 7:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathryn

I always watched the show and thought that is was really funny, however I am so tired of Charlie Sheen!! The rest of the cast is great and talented and should be given a chance. I hope that Aston can raise to the occasion. I think that it is also time that Chuck Lorre feature Angus T. Jones more. The kid has grown up on that show and he deserves more attention. Also the actress who plays Berta is great. Sorry I can't remember her name.

May 23 2011 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mcvey55555

Jon Cryer always carried the show anyway. He was the star not Charlie Sheen.

May 19 2011 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mcvey55555's comment
wk2hrd

Cryer fits his name and was far from the star. He is like having someone run their nails across the chalk board and this show will be toast soon.

May 23 2011 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pam

I think he will do a great job! I have watched the series from the begining. Charlie Sheen needs to know as most children do, Actions have consequences. So man up Charlie! you'll be lucky tp get another gig.

May 19 2011 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kola508

I think Ashton appeals to all ages. He's funny, can take direction and I thik it's the breath of fresh air that will save
2.5 Men. I didn't like how dirty the show got toward the end. I hope that changes, otherwise the writing is awesome!

May 19 2011 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kola508's comment
wk2hrd

ummm, no he does not appeal to all ages, he is a idoit. won't waste my time watching this dork and loved Two and 1/2 Men before.

May 23 2011 at 4:27 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Arline

I think Kutchner will be good in 2 1/2 Men, but I will really miss the Defenders and Medium. Ar.

May 16 2011 at 4:30 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
gumshoe

Kutcher is a one-dimensional and not that good with that dimension. He had a few good lines as a supporting character in an ensemble, but Hollywood connections don't make you a good actor. It'll be lame sex jokes and giggling. I won't watch it and have long since stopped watching the Two and a Half Men reruns in syndication.

May 16 2011 at 10:23 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
nomoreanchorbabies

Krucher is a "dweeb",he'll never pull it off.The show's dead without Charlie and you know it Chuck. You should be fired!!!!!

May 16 2011 at 8:39 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
clawed99

remember when charlie replaced michael j. fox and for whatever reason it worked. now he is being replaced and it just could work the rest of the cast is funny and talented. good luck to them all

May 16 2011 at 12:08 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

Cant wait to see Ashton. Charlie kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth, after all his antics. I loved Ashton on the 70's show, and I think he's going to step right in, and make this show # 1 comedy. The ratings will definatly go up immediatly....and then we'll see what happens.

May 15 2011 at 11:46 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply