October 25, 2014

It's a Buy More Miracle: 'Chuck' Gets A Fifth and Final Season from NBC

by Maureen Ryan, posted May 13th 2011 1:25PM

It's official: 'Chuck' will get a 13-episode fifth season from NBC. How crazy is that -- in a good way?

"The passion of the 'Chuck' fans has been heard again... We are all truly lucky to have the greatest fan base on TV. Thank you," executive producer and co-creator Josh Schwartz tweeted late this morning.

Update: TV Line and EW are reporting that the fifth show will be the season's last, though that has not yet been confirmed on the record by the producers or NBC. It won't be a surprise if season 5 is the show's swan song. I think most fans had expected that if 'Chuck' got a fifth season, it would be the last go-round for the Buy More crew.

It's a testament to the devotion of the show's fans that 'Chuck' got this far. Every spring for the last few years, the beloved spy show has always been on the chopping block and 'Chuck' addicts have agonized over the possibility that it would be canceled. Who would have thought we'd be looking at a fifth season of the little show that could?

Television fans often go through a fair amount of heartbreak, especially at this time of year, when shows are being canceled left and right. But 'Chuck' getting a fifth season is one of those moments when you just have to sit back and savor the unexpected delightfulness.

According to news reports, 'Chuck' will get a 13-episode fifth season. Will the episode order expand if NBC's new shows tank next year? We don't know that yet, but if I'm able to find out from the show's executive producers, I'll keep you posted.

Having to create new half-seasons on the fly has led to problems in seasons 3 and 4, and I'm not going to sit here and say that every episode of the show is perfect. I've come to accept a certain amount of inconsistency from 'Chuck,' because the good or great episodes of this show are just so damned entertaining.

Hats off the the 'Chuck' fans, who, with sites like We Give a Chuck, once again made their voices heard and helped convince NBC to pick up the show again, despite sagging ratings this spring. I can only imagine how fun the 'Chuck' session is going to be at Comic-Con this year.

Just think: Next season, we'll get to hear John Casey grunt some more. We'll get more Jeffster. We'll get more Casey-Morgan bonding. We'll get more Awesome, which is awesome. We'll get more Sarah Walker, and, if we're lucky, we'll get more of the Giant Blonde She-Male of Thailand.

We'll get more spy antics, pop-culture references, silliness, adventure and heart, and the show will get to go out on its own terms.

Sometimes there are dispiriting days on the TV beat. This is not one of them. Huzzah!

Follow @MoRyan on Twitter.

spmogensen

I'm grateful that there is going to be a fifth season, I've been waiting to whatch chuck for a while.

June 07 2011 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kathiefinger

Yea... Morgan as a super spy. This should be fun!

May 16 2011 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NeilN

How are we going to get a "season 1" vibe with the current character relationships the way they are now?

May 16 2011 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan Schwartz

Question for Fedak:

It was announced at today's upfront that in its fifth and final season, CHUCK would be more like it was in season 1. What exactly does this mean? Should we expect more Buy More because of a bare bones budget, or was it being inferred that we would get more standalone episodes? Thank you for your time!

- Ryan Schwartz

May 16 2011 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lishu Zheng

在这里输入您的评论

Finally (48 hours) time limit to buy.

LV Muffler $ 5.99
LV Bags $ 19.9
LV Wallet $ 6.55
Armani Glasses $ 5.99
LV Belt $ 6.9

Buy addresses-
--- www.ashops.us---
Tips (48 hours after the special product is invalid)

May 15 2011 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lishu Zheng

Finally (48 hours) time limit to buy.

LV Muffler $ 5.99
LV Bags $ 19.9
LV Wallet $ 6.55
Armani Glasses $ 5.99
LV Belt $ 6.9

Buy addresses-
--- www.ashops.us---
Tips (48 hours after the special product is invalid)

May 14 2011 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

Thank you Thank you to all the loyal Chuck fans!!!!!!!! I am so happy this is getting another season, and as long as they do it properly I might be ok with season five being the end. I missed season one originally but I picked up and held strong in season 2. This is the highlight of my day espically after find out so many of my other shows will be getting the boot!

May 14 2011 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lishu Zheng

Finally (48 hours) time limit to buy.

LV Muffler $ 5.99
LV Bags $ 19.9
LV Wallet $ 6.55
Armani Glasses $ 5.99
LV Belt $ 6.9

Buy addresses-
--- www.ashops.us---
Tips (48 hours after the special product is invalid)

May 14 2011 at 7:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kathyharter

I'm one of those rabid CHUCK fans. My daughter is a rabid CHUCK fan. We never miss an episode. So this is terrific news. Thanks NBC.

May 14 2011 at 1:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather

I'm actually pleased the way Chuck will be ending. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE CHUCK, but it's one of those shows that could easily run out of good, original plots if the writers don't stay on their toes. Then it would either be canceled w/out a series resolution, (Las Vegas, anybody?), or die on a sad note by either becoming redundant or by trying so hard they, "jump the shark." A final season that is planned well in advance gives all sorts of opportunities to shoot for the stars without having to worry how they'll top themselves in the future. And Chuck and Sara can ride off into the sunset together. And five seasons makes a GREAT blueray box set for a Chuck marathon night with your friends.

May 13 2011 at 11:26 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Heather's comment
noseless_wonder

^^ I was thinking Bluray boxed set too! Then I realized I'd be double buying the first season. It still might be worth it if they package it well enough... Look at what they did with LOST after that show ended. Their boxed set has a secret, hidden disk built into the box itself, a black light, a hidden code that unlocks an easter egg...

Chuck would be a great show to do something similar with spy-themed extras!

May 14 2011 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply