September 1, 2014

'Community' Season 2, Episode 24 (Season Finale) Recap

by Maggie Furlong, posted May 13th 2011 12:30AM
Community['Community' - 'For a Few Paintballs More']

I was watching this episode thinking three things: 1) I wish the season wasn't over, 2) I totally should've rewatched last week's episode before this one because 3) I'm not gonna have much to say about this second half.

And then things got a little more interesting. Thankfully.

I still wish NBC had shown both parts together on the same night for a supersized one-hour finale episode because, for me, the first half (last week) had the action, while tonight was more emotional. Yes, maybe it's stronger to wrap up a season on an emotional note, but this is paintball! There's no crying in paintball.

Yeah, I'll get over it. There was still plenty of gunslinging goodness here, and um, some other amazing stuff that I'll get into when you click in ...

Abed said it best tonight: "Too risky. Sequels are almost always disappointing."

Yes, that was a perfectly meta nod to the fact that everyone said the show couldn't top the first paintball game in 'Modern Warfare,' but they were willing to try anyway. Risky pays off in my book making this one nowhere near disappointing. That's not to say I loved it (remains to be seen if it's better viewed as a whole), but it was a nice season ender.

First up: THE KISS! We saw it coming, with Annie desperately flirting with Abed, I mean Han, all episode, but daaaaaaaaamn. I liked their steamy, dripping-in-paint makeout session a little too much.

Did Abed really only go in for the kill because it's what Han Solo would've done? Or might there be some lingering feelings when we pick back up next season? When you break it down, they are a lot alike. Just saying.

The City College dean versus Greendale's Dean Pelton thing was silly, but it still paved the way for some sexually-charged flagpole stuff. It was worth it for the phallic City College flag being raised over the Greendale anus one.

Jeff was pretty quiet here, and Chang was basically just an extra with no lines, but it made room for the ladies to step into the dominant positions. I love take-charge badass Shirley. And she even cussed! "How bout we save this school's ass." And it was a valiant effort that she and Britta made in that golf cart, but in the end, Pierce played the hero.

Winning the game and donating the money to save the school was Pierce's redemption moment. It happened. It's done. But that doesn't mean things are all A-OK. I mean, Pierce has seriously been going to Greendale for 12 YEARS?! That was a very sad twist to picture him getting booted from study group after study group for over a decade.

But they were really harping on the sadness, dammit! I don't want Pierce to make me care, and honestly if it hadn't been for the end tag I would've yelled at my TV when the episode ended on Pierce saying he's done with the gang.

Again, I don't love the guy. In fact, read any recap of mine and you'll see I kind of loathe him (and am not alone), but let's not get melodramatic here. Pierce the hero quickly turned into Pierce the martyr, and the only thing I hate more than a saboteur is a freaking martyr.

But they ended on a lighter note, taking a step back to acknowledge that someone -- fictitious on this episode show and in real life -- is gonna have to clean up the mess they've made. Have fun with that.

And in a nice bonus, as we teased last week, eagle-eyed 'Cougar Town' fans could spot Laurie (Busy Philips) and Travis (Dan Byrd) hanging out on the quad and chanting for the Human Beings when they won the game. Love that touch.

Fun quotes:
"Don't shoot, red-haired guy."

"Why would someone who gets paid to do things be at Greendale?"

"You're the worst!"

"I think it's called a taint."

"I'm calling dibs on the Han Solo role before Jeff slouches into it by default."

"Dammit Shirley! Forget your newborn child and think about the people who need you."

"Those guys are ballers, yo. I hope you like getting balled."

"Resistance is as pointless as your degrees."

"Everyone look alive. Leonard, good enough."

What did Leonard do to get banned from a Denny's More Little Rascals pranks?

"Britta, I've been in a few real wars, but this one is actually the most terrifying."

I loved Donald getting shot -- "I had a dream it would end this way."

"Will you still be Han Solo after we die?"

And, of course, the short and sweet 'Star Wars'-style intro card read:
Episode XXIV
For a Few Paintballs More
It is a dark time for Greendale.
City College has invaded
the campus paintball game.
Pierce Hawthorne has been
kicked out of the study group.
Let's not draw this out ...

So I'll stop drawing this out and let you talk/type. Did you like the finale? Are you sad we have to wait until fall for more? Take it to the comments ...

Follow Maggie on Twitter @TheTVShowGirl

Watch the full episode here:

serialiberalgroper

"SLOVENIA" TODAY IN 2011 AND WHERE COMMUNIST GENOCIDE GOES ON FOR CREATION OF GREATER BYZANTINE SERBIA UNDER RUSSIAN FLAG http://sloveniatoday.blogspot.com "SLOVENIA" WHERE GERMANS(also Croatians in Croatia) ARE GETTING WIPED OUT 66 YEARS AFTER WWII OR 20 YEARS SINCE THEIR "INDEPENDENCE"(independence on paper only). Is Merkel truly great diplomat or is simply trading our lives behind our backs with worst enemies !!? Visit also DICTATOR OBAMA = STALIN = BUSH or USA = SOVIET UNION http://avsecbostjan.blogspot.com/ or http://avsecbostjan.wordpress.com/ ...TO LEARN WHO, HOW, AND WHY RUINED YOU…FROM 911 TO WHITE AMERICAN REFUGEES IN EXILE SEEKING ASYLUM RIGHT NOW !!! TIME TO DETERMINE WHOSE INDEPENDENCE/AMERICA, WE CELEBRATE TODAY(who want to erase us and denies us the right to exist) !!!

July 08 2011 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
noseless_wonder

I liked last week's part better, but I'm a little biased. Josh Holloway as the Cowboy-in-black was underused, but awesome. This week though, it seemed they didn't take it quite as seriously, which was good. I thought the faceless stormtroopers were a nice touch and I've been missing Abed's movie/tv trivia moments.

May 13 2011 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rustysmitty

Don't forget after Jeff got shot and Britta told him that she'll see him at Denny's and he shouted, "Denny's is for winners!" Loved that line.

May 13 2011 at 10:30 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
sfuller37

Agreed this was a good, but not great, episode. I liked last week better, but Part 2 was still fun times. I liked the Abed/Annie kiss, but with all the exagerated flirting, it didn't come as much of a suprise. I can't wait for next season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 13 2011 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mikedt

I lost track of the number of movie homages.

May 13 2011 at 8:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TheJosh

It was a solid episode, but far from one of their best as far as laughs were concerned. It's weird, but I laughed the hardest in the tag when the custodial worker deadpans: "No plans" to Abed. And very oddly was the fact I didn't care for the Star Wars nods as it was really just Abed manufacturing himself into a Han role (and the obvious stormtroopers). I loved this season with the one exception being the Abed/Jesus meta movie whatever earlier, and can't wait for season 3. Was Vicky trying to pull a Leroy Jenkins?

May 13 2011 at 6:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
loopychew

The classic line for me was Troy's frenzied, "'POP'-WHAT?! What are you trying to say?!" over Magnitude's body.

May 13 2011 at 5:36 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to loopychew's comment
General Kenobi

Easily the best moment of the night! POP WHAT!?!?!

As far as the whole Abed as Han thing meaning nothing... that's possibly true... to Abed. To Annie? Maybe not so meaningless.

I thought this episode far outshined last week. A lot of the stuff is subtle, so I think a lot of it went unnoticed... certainly by the reviewer, who barely reviewed the ep, and the commentors... oh well.

May 13 2011 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Piecar

This episode was WAY more action packed than the last one. Way better too. Lots of little touches here. The nods to "The Warriors". Vicky's personal battle cry. Shirley gets to use her golf cart skills from last year. The cinematography was way more fun this week, and the dialogue was sharper. I don't know what you're talking about when you say that you were happy things picked up later in the ep. What crying are you talkin about? This had the entire cast from main through recurring fighting together.

If they want Pierce to be the character they made him this year, then I really hope that he's out. The first year, he as funny. This year, just a douchebag with money. I haven't heard any rumblings about Chase being unhappy. But he really doesn't get used very effectively, so maybe he's moving on.

Nice to see some rocking Shirley action. And Britta too. Though she wasn't as confident in the year's paintball as she was last year. Hilarious to see Jeff get shot and immediately proclaim a loss.

Annie was really rocking the cleavage. But Abed was just being Abed. There's nothing there.

It was a good ending to the season. See you all in September.

May 13 2011 at 3:15 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Ba Ba Bauf

Good Episode, not great, but good. No, it wasn't as good as last year's paintball episode, and no, it wasn't even as good as last week's Part 1. Still, a strong enough finish to a strong season, and hopefully a sign of good things to come in Season 3.

Personally, I'm glad the writers don't act on the temptation to overuse Chang. He's a great quirky character, often times hillarious, and he does get a good chunk of screentime. However, I ofteen feel like I want to see more of Chang, and that's a good thing. I mean, isn't that what good writing and acting is all about? Leaving people wanting more? Chang is a great character in small doses, but I feel if you beef-up his role too much, he becomes the new "Urkel", in that his huge personality takes over the show and the rest of the characters lose importance, so I like that Chang is used sparingly.

Oh, and terrific stuff with Greendale keeping the Study Group's "School Flag" submission as the official Greendale Banner. "E Pluribus Anus", with a picture of, yes, that's right, an anus. Good continuity by the writers, and clever material.

Solid Season 2, not quite as good as Season 1, but not too far from it, and no reason to think Season 3 will be any less.

May 13 2011 at 3:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lucy

I think the Abed/Annie kiss was nice however it doesn't have the same emotional impact on the audience like Jeff and Annie's kiss had. I don't think Jeff/Annie fans need worry too much we may get some jealous Jeff out of this - so it may be a good thing.
Pierce had me crying at the end of the episode and I don't think I will be able to last all the way to September. It's so long away!

May 13 2011 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply