December 22, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Hines Ward Was Cuffed by Cops With Guns Drawn Over a Misunderstanding (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted May 13th 2011 4:56AM
Hines Ward, 'The Tonight Show with Jay Leno'Hines Ward is definitely feeling the love from the public as one of the top four celebrities on 'Dancing with the Stars' right now. But there was a night in Los Angeles where he wasn't feeling it at all. It started off all right with good drinks and good friends, as he told Jay Leno on 'The Tonight Show' (Weeknights, 11:35PM ET on NBC).

It was when they went to leave that things took a very surprising turn. "I put my seat belt on, I looked up and there was like maybe 20-30 police cars around me," Ward said. "My first reaction is, I'm on 'Punk'd.' I'm looking for Ashton Kutcher out there."

He didn't find Kutcher, but he did find something else. He was ordered out of the car and at that point he noticed there were guns being pointed at him and his friends.

"They put me in handcuffs, they pulled me up, they took the handcuffs off and said, 'You know what? We apologize. There's been a misunderstanding.'" And that was it. The ordeal was over.

To his credit, Ward handled the whole situation with calm and class. "They're just doing their jobs," he said.

"Welcome to LA," Jay Leno said in response to the tale.

Watch the full interview here:

wwkitchens

cops remind me of Nazi's

May 13 2011 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
collierroofing

Hines Ward is not a QB

May 13 2011 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rig on rig out

99 % percent of the time any celebrity party at the ween hour of 1 AM in the morning will be pull over by the LAPD and they want nothing more than the pert resist so when their itching trigger finger they let their gun blazing at the pert.....and then ask question later...

May 13 2011 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rpbusmc@aol.com

Only in America

May 13 2011 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chey06akili

20 cops to recover a supposedly stolen car with 1 woman and 1 man inside. If they are that scared then they are a hazard to society and themselves.LA police over react again.

May 13 2011 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kayvmayo

Further, I would like to say that the owner of the car was sitting next to Hines, him being the gentleman that he is, he was driving, not her! She showed the police her licese and registration and they dismissed the incident. Hines, being the classy person he is, just brushed it off! You racists who wrote below, need to get your heads out of the sand. What would you have said if it were Michael Vick this happened to????

May 13 2011 at 12:18 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
kayvmayo

Hines Ward is the meaning of the word "CLASS"!!!!! He is a superb role model and the epitome of what I want to see my 4 grandson turn into, a humble athlete, a superb athlete, talented beyony belief both on the football fiend and dance floor. His personal life is an open "good" book, and he has never forgotten his humble beginning and the parents who helped him "pull himself up by his bootstraps" to make a wonderful human being out of him. I have never met Hines, nor do I know him, I just respect him highly as a great athlete and a tremendous human being. Keep that smile Hines, you are a "big cut" above the rest!

May 13 2011 at 12:15 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
teampdf

What do you get when you marry AOL to the HUFFINGTON POST ..... liberal left SOROS garbage in and liberal left GARBAGE SOROS garbage out posing as REAL NEWS ....... give me a break ... AOL must believe its customer base are ALL NUMBSKULLS

May 13 2011 at 12:07 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Geoff

Listen to the damned story.
The woman driver/owner of the car had reported it STOLEN, found it and NEVER told the poice that she had "recovered" her car...as far as the police knew, the car was HOT.
No racism **** here, Ward says himself that the police were DOING their job.

May 13 2011 at 11:25 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Whad Up Girl!

Why did they pull him over? Because he was Black While Driving (or getting ready to drive)?

May 13 2011 at 11:05 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply