August 22, 2014

'The Vampire Diaries' Season 2, Episode 22 (Season Finale) Recap

by Jean Bentley, posted May 13th 2011 12:01AM

The Vampire Diaries['The Vampire Diaries' - 'As I Lay Dying']

I've started enough of these 'Vampire Diaries' recaps recalling the exact expletives I uttered during particularly exciting episodes. But if you'll allow it, I have to do it one more time -- OH MY GOD.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from 'As I Lay Dying.' (Rookie mistake, I know.) It just seemed that all the events of this season led up to last week's episode, which truly did have a finale-esque feel (the sacrifice, the deaths, the bite, the Klaus not actually dying, the more deaths). Even while I was watching last night, I wasn't sure how they'd manage to go out with a bang.

But oh, me of little faith. I must've forgotten what show I was watching, because the final ten minutes -- capped with the epic last scene -- left me shaking in silence on my couch more than an hour after it ended. (Not kidding. I've never had such a visceral reaction to a TV show before.)

Jeremy's death brought us full circle from the premiere, when Damon snapped his neck. But that was supernatural, and the sheriff accidentally shooting him was fully a human error. Bonnie channeled her witch breatheren, though, and managed to bring him back. (For a hot second I really did consider the fact that my Thursdays could be Steven McQueen-less ... that's a world I don't want to live in.)

Of course, when you mess with the natural order of life there are CONSEQUENCES. I thought that meant someone else would die -- but nope. Instead it gave us a heart-attack inducing final two minutes and an AMAZING plotline for Jeremy next season.

My two absolute number one favorite dead people from 'The Vampire Diaries' episodes of yore are back -- and they're haunting Jeremy. Both of the poor kid's dead ex-girlfriends, Vicki and Anna, managed to return with nary a spoiler leaked. Now THAT'S how it's done. Take note, 'Glee' -- these people can actually keep a secret.

I can't wait to see this storyline explored next season. Was it just me, or did both girls look and sound very sinister? Could they return evil? I don't know if I could handle that.

The Vampire DiariesAs for the OTHER major plotline set up for next season -- Stefan is back to his evil ways, having sacrificed himself to Klaus in order to save his brother from a deadly werewolf bite. (Turns out the antidote to a werewolf bite is wolf-vamp blood.)

Listen. I'm not going to lie, Damon is my preferred Salvatore. There's something so vanilla about Stefan that doesn't appeal to me at all. (I like me some bad boys.) It's nothing against Paul Wesley, I just haven't been terribly interested in the character -- except when he turns evil or overprotective. You can tell how much fun Wesley has with it. So the idea of Evil Stefan wreaking havoc with his buddy Klaus next season? Sign me up!

But I wasn't really rooting for Elena to get together with Damon, either. I bought his attraction to her (the whole looking exactly like Katherine thing helped), but I think Elena is too smart a girl to put her trust into someone who isn't reliable 100 percent of the time (or at least 90 percent).

Still, when a man is on his deathbed and realizes all the wrong he's done in his ultra-long lifetime, you tend to forgive him. I don't think Elena's kiss was romantically motivated, at least not at first. I think she was absolving him of his wrongdoing and showing him kindness in his final moments. Unfortunately, by doing so, she couldn't deny the spark between them any longer.

Listen, they can't get together without a hitch. And this doesn't mean Stefan is out of the picture. But I think watching the chemistry between Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder next season will be highly entertaining and damn sexy. So even if you're solidly on Team Stefan, I think you should be excited about this development too.

Final thoughts:

--Is Alaric now the Gilbert family Charles in Charge?

--Some more vamp-wolf mythology: Klaus can change at will, and remembers all his kills.

--What do you think was going through Elijah's mind when Klaus stabbed him? I'm going to go with "AGAIN?!"

--Although Klaus killed his brother, he wasn't lying about not dumping his family's bodies at sea. They're in fancy wooden coffins ... in a shipping crate.

--Katherine, to Elena: "It's okay to love them both. I did."

What did you think of the finale? Game-changer or anti-climactic? Are you as obsessed with Anna and Vicki being back as I am?

Follow Jean on Twitter @hijean

Noelephant

I was absolutely bowled over as well. Like you, I utter at least one "holy s***" per episode, but this one had about three. The shooting of Jeremy was one of the most shocking and tragic moments I've ever seen on a TV series; it was brilliantly staged (with Damon suddenly moving sideways in vamp hyper-speed to reveal Jeremy). But this tragic mistake proved to be the only way Caroline's mother could get over her vampire-phobia, allowing for her relationship with Caroline to develop in a positive direction. This troubled relationship was, for me, the most compelling storyline of the season. But even more brilliant is the fact that Caroline's mother will now have to deal with the demand to resolve the "vampire situation" that Tyler's mother has imposed on her (which is code for "kill them all," of course). Caroline's mom will have a very interesting Season 3.

Paul Wesley will ROCK as a bad ass. The episodes that had him dealing with his addiction to human blood were his best. And I don't know if anyone watched "Wolf Creek" from 2007, but Wesley was really good playing a semi-bad ass teenager in that short-lived show.

Ian Somerhalder . . . my god, he got to show every side of Damon in this episode (including the 19th century version, which is my favorite), and then some. Only good things can come out of Damon's relationship with Elena, no matter what direction it goes in, as their scenes together are always electric.

The killing (yet again) of Elijah was (yet again) a total shocker, but it looks like the possibility of his return (yet again) remains, as that same dagger-of-temporary-death thing is still operative. (That's correct, isn't it?) I love that actor and character, so I hope he returns (yet again).

The more Alaric the better, as far as I'm concerned.

The writers do have to ease up on characters dying and coming back to life--they're running out of ways to do it, and now it's just a question of which actors they're willing to sacrifice.

The return of Vicki and Anna? We were told there would be "consequences" to bringing Jeremy back to life. But Vicki's death in Season 1 was so heartbreaking, and her status as the loser of the family and slut of the school was what made her so interesting. I'm less interested in her as a specter . . . same with Anna. Both actresses are rather awkward too. But despite his stiffness (both the actor and the character), there's something so compelling about Jeremy, so I think the development of his story/character could be a very good thing.

I'm glad they didn't kill off Katerina, she's becoming more empathetic and interesting. Having her forced to watch Stephan turn bad, and see her dismay rather than glee, was fascinating. Nina Dobrev is getting better and better at distinguishing the two characters. This could go in any number of fascinating directions.

A brilliant end to a brilliant season of a brilliant show!

May 14 2011 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Noelephant

The return of Vicki and Anna? We were told there would be "consequences" to bringing Jeremy back to life. But Vicki's death in Season 1 was so heartbreaking, and her status as the family and school slut/loser was what made her so interesting. I'm less interested in her as a spectre . . . same with Anna. Both actresses are rather awkward too. But despite his stiffness (both the actor and the character), there's something so compelling about Jeremy, so I think the development of his story/character could be a very good thing.

A brilliant end to a brilliant season of a brilliant show!

May 14 2011 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kaynwil

That whole "Bad" Stephan thing reeks of Angel vs. Angeles but at least Angeles was known for his evil-ness and was totally bad-azz. No one's telling stories about the evil Stephan so for Klaus to all of the sudden want him on his side like he's more bad azz than any other bad vamp was just a little much IMO.

Jer sees dead people now? *groan*

I'm interested in seeing the dynamic between Damon and Elena next season. I'm team Damon and I thought they'd get to spend time together when Stephan was stuck in the cave but that didn't work out so I finally get to see them together for a while w/o Stephan. That outta be interesting.

Caroline's mom joining the anti-heroes? I don't see that working out well as she's proven how incompetent she is during this whole episode! She'd be more of a hindrance than help!

"--Is Alaric now the Gilbert family Charles in Charge?" - LOL! I was thinking the same thing like um, is he taking them in now??

May 14 2011 at 12:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nursediesel65

Wow! Every week I think I can't be more surprised from the previous episode, but once again, my jaw dropped! The best show on TV!!

May 13 2011 at 8:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dee

It's antidote, not anecdote. And OMG, what is going on with Jeremy and the ghosts of girlfriends past?! Is he just seeing things and slowly going crazy, or does he have some sort of supernatural powers now and can see ghosts? 'Cause Vicki and Anna can't really be back...can they? Not physically, anyway...right? Hot damn, I love this show!

May 13 2011 at 3:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Dee's comment
nidesola

Damon is my favorite Salvatore too! I would be on Team Damon, but I am realizing Elena is too vanilla for him as well (although it would be great & I would enjoy that development). The new directions (ghosts of girlfriends' past & Stefan going super-Ripper) are intriguing, but I am most excited about the possibility of Sheriff Liz joining our team of anti-heroes. Hehe.

May 13 2011 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply