October 21, 2014

'Law & Order: SVU' Shakeup: Jennifer Love Hewitt to Replace Mariska Hargitay?

by Jean Bentley, posted May 14th 2011 3:00PM
Jennifer Love HewittMariska Hargitay and Christopher Meloni have made it no secret that they're interested in cutting back on their hours manning the Special Victims Unit on 'Law & Order: SVU.' But news broke today that an unlikely actress is eying a role as Hargitay's replacement: Jennifer Love Hewitt.

The former 'Ghost Whisperer' star is reportedly in talks to take over as the partner of Meloni's Elliot Stabler around mid-season when Hargitay's Olivia Benson will be promoted to a supervisor position, TV Line reports.

Hargitay has signed a deal to return for 'SVU''s 13th season, but will work fewer hours for the same salary. Meloni has not yet signed a deal, but he is reportedly asking for a raise and will likely not come to an official agreement until after NBC's Upfront presentation next week.

Hewitt has also not signed a deal yet, but will likely arrive as Stabler's new female detective partner around mid-season when Benson gets promoted.

The actress appeared on the series earlier this season during an episode that brought attention to the problem of rape kit backlogs in police precincts across the country. Hewitt played a woman who was stalked and raped by a man for 15 years.

Hewitt was nominated for a Golden Globe for her role in the Lifetime movie 'The Client List.'

Tell us: What do you think of Jennifer Love Hewitt as a detective on 'SVU'?

Sinthia Colon

Wow. It is great that Benson gets promoted. I think she does an excelent job. When a person works that good it is a great feeling when they get promoted on a position so they grant her efforts and sacrifices. I think Jenniffer would do on the position. But I deffinetly want to see that coming. I would never want to stop seeing Benson on the scenes she as a buss its awsom.

June 23 2012 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mandy Young

I don't think they are going to use JLH as Olivia... they said Olivia gets promoted so JLH will be a NEW character not taking over someone else's character. come on people think about it!!

February 28 2012 at 4:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mcbeever13

Well I think Jennifer should join it would be an lovely addition. To the show

November 23 2011 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mcbeever13

Uhhh hello I would enjoy having Jennifer on the show

November 23 2011 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caitlyn Hathorne

Calm down guys. What if they plan on adding Hewitt as a NEW detective? Not Olivia's replacement? This whole thing isn't set in stone and I highly doubt they would even attempt to REPLACE Hargitay, after all the seasons she has played the role. Instead of complaining and threatening to not watch the show if Hewitt is added to the cast, JUST DON'T WATCH IT. Think of it this way: if Hewitt is added as Vicki Sayers as a detective, this could add to the plot of the show. It would be the first time the show would've added a former victim as a new detective to help other SVU victims. See? Completely different senario. Detectives Benson and Stabler take a break from SVU, and former victim helps the helpless. I've seen every episode, and followed the show from the beginning; and while Hewitt most likely isn't going to be the kick-ass cop Hargitay was, I think I would enjoy having a senario such as this play out. LONG STORY SHORT: If you don't like it, don't watch it.

October 02 2011 at 8:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mm

Im done its not worth it if they add jennifer love hewitt.....its a disgrace. I think its just time to end SVU at this point.

September 29 2011 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
southerndragonfly

Please, please, please do not replace Mariska Hargity with that piece of "fluff" Hewitt. There must be actresses out there with some substance to them who will fit the roll better. Someone like Ashley Judd, or that type. I don't see Hewitt as a tough street cop type. This show will be in it's death throes soon enough with out Elliot anyways. The play between Elliot and Olivia was what the whole show ran on. Some characters can be replaced, but SVU without Elliot and Olivia, Criminal Intent without Gorham and Eames, CSI without Grisholm. All death rattles.

September 29 2011 at 6:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lizzy Nicole Hargita

i want mariska not her ughh she is way better at being oliva benson

August 15 2011 at 2:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leslie

I'll stop watching if they get Hewitt - she stinks as an actress and totally is not right for the part. They should get someone like Christina Cox (Blood Ties), Emily Procter or Eva La Rue (CSI/Miami) to replace Mariska. As far as replacing Meloni-- Adam Rodriguez (CSI/Miami) would make a great replacement or Alex O'Loughlin (Moonlight) or Michael Weatherly (Dark Angel/NCIS).
I would continue watching then.

August 10 2011 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kiki Whitfield

Noooo! I grew up with Oliva and Eliott :-(. SUV is my favorite law and order and it will never be the same w/ J LH. Team Stabler and Benson!!

August 09 2011 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply