April 24, 2014

CBS Cancels '$#*! My Dad Says,' 'Mad Love,' 'The Defenders'

by Jean Bentley, posted May 15th 2011 4:15PM
My Dad Says, William ShatnerWhile Fox, ABC and NBC made much of their programming decisions last week, today brings the first scheduling news for CBS.

The network will not go forward with second seasons for the freshmen series '$#*! My Dad Says,' 'The Defenders' and 'Mad Love,' Deadline reports. The fates of CBS's other first-year shows, 'Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior,' 'Mike & Molly,' 'Hawaii Five-0' and 'Blue Bloods' are still officially unknown, though the 'Criminal Minds' spinoff is the only one still in danger of cancellation.

Fox, ABC and NBC made much more drastic adjustments to their schedules, canceling most of their bubble shows. CBS still hasn't officially decided on 'CSI: NY' or 'Rules of Engagement,' but things seem to be looking up for the two veteran series. Of course, that could change at any moment until the official announcements are made.

While 'The Defenders' and 'Mad Love' never seemed to find a solid footing ratings-wise, the William Shatner-starring '$#*! My Dad Says' was a modest Thursday night hit alongside 'The Big Bang Theory.' However, all five of CBS's new shows did well enough for the network to order full seasons of all of them.

Expect more CBS schedule announcements in the coming days as the network readies its fall 2011 TV schedule.

Tell us: Will you miss any of these shows?

Find out the status of your favorite series with AOL TV's guide to canceled and returning shows.

Follow Jean on Twitter @hijean

hillke310

I loved the Defenders bring it back.! ! ! ! !

August 30 2011 at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stacy Sturrock

That sucks!! I loved the Defenders. They were great. You stink CBS

August 04 2011 at 1:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lamabean5

WE LOVED BLEEP MY DAD, PLEASE GIVE IT ANOTHER CHANCE. BRING IT BACK

July 12 2011 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mad tn dem

Reading Helen's comment below, she pretty much said it all..CBS is now in the running with NBC for the most idiotic decisions..and they wonder why they're losing their audiences to networks like USA (Covert Affairs, Burn Notice, In Plain Sight, etc.), or TNT (Southland, The Closer, Men of a Certain Age, Memphis Beat, and now Falling Skies, etc.), and A&E (The Glades!). Oops, forgot about Lifetime and Drop Dead Diva! Doesn't leave much primetime viewing hours to divvy between the others..and soon we'll just stop bothering to check them out..

June 27 2011 at 12:54 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Helen

I CAN'T BELIEVE CBS CANCELLED THE [DEFENDERS] WHY????????? IT HAD GOOD ACTORS;GREAT STORY LINE'S EACH WEEK. MY SON &I LOOKED FORWARD TO WATCHING IT. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON OVER AT CBS!? MAYBE THEY SHOULD START LOOKING AT FIRING THEIER STAFF IN LUE THE SHOW'S LIKE DEFENDERS!!!!!

June 01 2011 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamie Thornton

I loved bleep my dad says. My wife and I loved that show. I think they're really stupid to cancel it. I wished someone at cbs would have some brains and rethink that move.

May 21 2011 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zweben1

Let me add my name to the list of those that enjoyed "The Defenders" and thought that it was a terrific show. I watched them all. It was well written, witty, funny and very well acted. What a shame that it is going off the air.

May 18 2011 at 1:14 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mllrcssy

Mad Love is a great show and so is the Defenders! Jim Belushi and Jerry are so funny together - that show has it all - I think CBS needs to give these shows some time to get going instead of cancelling them so quickly. Leave Hawaii 50 alone! Why not cancel some of the old and boring shows like How I Met Your Mother (7 seasons and we still haven't met the mother - come on!) or Two and a Half Men - we all know it isn't going to be any good without Charlie Sheen - and give these new shows a fighting chance!

May 18 2011 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dktekc

Hey, the Defenders is a good show!! Jim and Jerry are great! One of the better shows that showed up last year!!

May 18 2011 at 12:37 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
eyo32

Come on guy's. Leave the Defenders on.It is one of the good new shows that started last year.

May 18 2011 at 11:23 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply